Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doobydoooby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Genève, Switzerland
A general call for assistance if everyone has faced a similar issue: When I open Finder in Yosemite (10.10.1 but it was happening on 10.10 also) it seems as if by default the Toolbar at the top isn't being shown. And because the Toolbar isn't being shown that's also stopping the Sidebar to the left with all my volumes and fave locations being shown for some inane reason that has been there for years.

OK.. so I can select View->show Toolbar and then the two miraculously return but this is happening every single time I come to use Finder; the next occasion I click on the finder voila, they've both gone again. I've tried using TotalFinder, not using TotalFinder, same result. Interestingly when I select "show Toolbar" the window is often then too big for one screen (I use two) and I wonder if this might be a reason why, but I can't for the life in me find a way to make the toolbar and sidebar default to on, nor can I find a way to default a size of finder window which is appropriate if that happens to be causing anything to go awry...

Has anyone had a similar experience and found a solution? Thx in advance....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.