Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Well, let me tell you of the first dungeon in Pandaria that I've met:

So, there we are leveling from 85 to 90 by doing all type of quests (most of them containing annoying dialogs and lore consisting of badly-copied fragments ripped of the chinese philosophy - which I don't find annoying by itself) and queue for dungeons in order to boost up the process and get some nice blue gear on the way.

And the first dungeon comes up: We enter as 5 bad-ass heroes with their bad-ass-looking weapons and armor, and suddenly we must follow a giant bunny (??) with a huge carrot in its mouth (!!!) along the instance, calling other smaller evil bunnies that hoping around, threatening to kill you (how on earth can a little bunny kill a full-plate paladin and why the paladin should attack it anyway, is beyond me) along with a bunch of other not-so-evil-looking creatures. Finally getting out of the dungeon, back to quests, where in most of them the player helps some Pandas brew and transfer some beer (!!??)

This is more or less the theme for the rest of the leveling areas and dungeons, with few exceptions here and there. They are indeed very well designed visually, and the terrains show how much work is being put on this, but the theme, dialogs etc are just...meh.

Well, at least WoD has put the lore and the world's ambient atmosphere back on track.

Did you have to fight off bunnies? They can be quite deadly, and this is just a normal sized one, much less giant. Cover your throat. I imagine the giant ones would just bite your head off. ;)
Killer_rabbit_with_skull.jpg
Killer-Bunny--monty-python-and-the-holy-grail-590914_1008_566.jpg

The complete horror:

Last edited:

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Did you have to fight off bunnies? They can be quite deadly, and this is just a normal sized one, much less giant. Cover your throat. I imagine the giant ones would just bite your head off. ;)
View attachment 516431
View attachment 516434

The complete horror:
YouTube: video

Thanks ! This will definitely help me ease my guilt for all the bunny crimes I've commited in Pandaria instances. :D

In fact, being lvl 100 now, I might go back and let them have it a bit more :p

jecartas

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2014
I tried Ret early on but switched to Protection due to the ability to AOE Grind. Ret was one class that seemed to be taking it hard so have stayed away from that one. But with the latest Patch they made some strong improvements in the Ret Tree from what I have heard. However there is strong suspicion that WOW Developers will nerf some of those and make the Ret tree a little less strong to balance it I guess. But I see you have been over at the WOW Forums and there you can look at all the different Classes and everybody has a mournful tale about how bad there classes got nerfed. I plan on trying Ret again once I can get in the mood to play my Pally again. Healing I hear is boring. It is a wanted Class when you are raiding but not in my interest right now. Right now I am concentrating on my Low Lvl Shaman to move him up a lot. Having fun there.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Can anyone describe what happens to your gear when using the free boost with the latest WoD expansion, boost from something like L70 to 90- do you end up with crap 90 gear?

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Yeah you get green gear at 90. Basically "average" gear at that level. It's not too bad, but pretty much anything you get from quest lines to 100 you'll use. In contrast, If epic or legendary gear, only at 99 did the gear in the quest line have better stats. And legendary still better of course.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Can anyone describe what happens to your gear when using the free boost with the latest WoD expansion, boost from something like L70 to 90- do you end up with crap 90 gear?

You get 483 level gear. It's not raid quality but I wouldn't classify it as crap gear. WoD green gear in the starting area is 510 level gear and you can fill many slots from the starting quest. A hunter shouldn't have too many issues starting with 483 level gear in WoD (keep your pet healed).

What professions do you have ? Note - If you want new professions, do it before the boost (if they are a certain level, they are boosted to 600).

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You get 483 level gear. It's not raid quality but I wouldn't classify it as crap gear. WoD green gear in the starting area is 510 level gear and you can fill many slots from the starting quest. A hunter shouldn't have too many issues starting with 483 level gear in WoD (keep your pet healed).

What professions do you have ? Note - If you want new professions, do it before the boost (if they are a certain level, they are boosted to 600).

So if you train for a new L1 profession just before you boost it won't boost along with you? Or take a rather new L10 toon, and train some professions, same thing, no profession boost?

One of the professions my Hunter has is Engineer. I had become soured on that one because there were restrictions, as I recall like only engineers could use most of the stuff an engineer makes. I need to look at the recommended professions list again. Thanks!

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Your character has to be level 60 or higher when you do the 90 boost in order to also get the professions to boost. It doesn't matter what level the professions are, so long as you have at least chosen your professions and they are at least level 1.

If your character is level 59 or lower the professions do not boost.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
So if you train for a new L1 profession just before you boost it won't boost along with you? Or take a rather new L10 toon, and train some professions, same thing, no profession boost?

One of the professions my Hunter has is Engineer. I had become soured on that one because there were restrictions, as I recall like only engineers could use most of the stuff an engineer makes. I need to look at the recommended professions list again. Thanks!

I was referring to your level 70 hunter. Here is the info on character boost. If you want to change professions, do it before you boost your hunter.

Note - Fishing and cooking are not boosted.

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
I was referring to your level 70 hunter. Here is the info on character boost. If you want to change professions, do it before you boost your hunter.

Note - Fishing and cooking are not boosted.

Fishing, Cooking, and Archeology are not boosted.

LOL, don't know why they bother boosting First Aid, I can't recall the last time I've ever bandaged... and I have 11 characters, one of each class.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes

LOL, don't know why they bother boosting First Aid, I can't recall the last time I've ever bandaged... and I have 11 characters, one of each class.

Seriously!!!

I remember in TBC during Gruuls Lair progression I played a shadow priest as the "mana battery" for our guild. I used to bandage myself during that fight just to save mana to be able to keep casting and provide them all with mana. That IS the last time I used a bandage :)

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston

It's because in WoD, FA is the source for health potions is all and is more important for everybody than the others. Archaeology will never be important since they probably won't do anything more towards it. Not sure about cooking except maybe they wanted to people to work on something? Lol /shrug

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
They simplified the talents and spells since you played.

Look up pet macros. Put the ones you like on the action bar. My most used macro command is /petattack :D.

I highly recommend a shale spider. My favorite pet by far.

How did you end up solving your computer problems ?

I'm currently in Grizzly Hills (Northrend) questing and it's all repeat stuff. I'm not yet convinced I'll be sticking with this long term (6 months or longer), but part of me really wants to see Pandaria, so I've been leveling my 73 Hunter to get to 80 for now. But another part of me says, screw it, just get the WoD expansion and be done with it. :p

I may be repeating myself, but a lot of things have simplified for Hunters and their pets. Since Pets always match toon level, it seems like you can pick them based on appearance, or special abilities. I've been looking over Petopia.com and wonder if their info is up to date. My current pet a White Chimeria is listed as a special pet and so far it's been kicking butt with mobs a level higher than myself, other than specific commands like "kill" (Beastmaster spec), it seems to do the other stuff on it's own, like "charge", "bite" etc.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Did you end up trying Pandaria or boosting ?

I'm leveling my hunter in Northrend at L77. I still want to see Panderia. My hunter (Beast Master) is an outstanding solo class. So far I've run into no real challenges including my first run (this time) in Drak. Just rolled through in a pickup group. Cycling through pets, cunning, tenacity, and ferocity trying to figure if any of them have a real advantage. Honestly it's hard to tell. Recently traveled to Strangletorn Veil and befriended King Bangalash, a large white tiger. I love his shadow nature. He really seems to steam roll the competition, but I need to keep cycling them, chimera, devilsaur, bear, worm, and cat.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Looks like L85 is the magic number for Pandaria. I'm enjoying cruising through Grizzly Hills (again). Wow has some outstanding environments. This is why I want to experience Pandaria...have always liked the Orient.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
In Zul'Drak any one remember the quest: Fuel for the Fire where in disguise, you take control of an abomination and kill 60, yes 60 trolls? This is not working for me. I'm commanding my abomination to kill, but after the troll dies, I get no credit for it? Help! :)

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
My L80 Hunter has moved on to Ice Crown. Suggestions of the fastest way to get to 85? I'd like to get to Pandaria asap... :)

Unless I am forgetting something I believe at this point you ought to get a quest in Org to begin doing the Cataclysm expansion now that you are 80 and you can skip remainder of Wrath. When you begin this you'll get a choice of two zones. I highly recommend you take Hyjal at least first time through Cata. That will take you from 80 to 85 at which point once again there will be a quest in Org that begins the Panadaria expansion. Likewise, when you hit 90, a quest will become available in Org that brings you into the latest expansion WoD.

I get the impression above that you may be forgetting about the Cataclysm expansion that follows Wrath and precedes Pandaria.

I just realized something, you must be Alliance or I'd have seen you in guild. So, I am sure the relevant starter quests I refer to above for Alliance must be based in Stormwind but you could ask in guild chat if you have any problems.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Unless I am forgetting something I believe at this point you ought to get a quest in Org to begin doing the Cataclysm expansion now that you are 80 and you can skip remainder of Wrath. When you begin this you'll get a choice of two zones. I highly recommend you take Hyjal at least first time through Cata. That will take you from 80 to 85 at which point once again there will be a quest in Org that begins the Panadaria expansion. Likewise, when you hit 90, a quest will become available in Org that brings you into the latest expansion WoD.

I get the impression above that you may be forgetting about the Cataclysm expansion that follows Wrath and precedes Pandaria.

I just realized something, you must be Alliance or I'd have seen you in guild. So, I am sure the relevant starter quests I refer to above for Alliance must be based in Stormwind but you could ask in guild chat if you have any problems.

Thank you! I've forgotten all about that expansion. :eek: Let me figure out how Alliance gets the quest. Thanks! :)

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
If anyone is interested I just got an E mail to say they have started a 10 day free trial of - Try Warlords of Draenor FREE for 10 Days!

Just accepted the offer and going to give it try over the weekend.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Next Question: Mining for opinions, Hyjal or Vashj'ir? :D

Hyjal.

If you played early in WoW then you no doubt heard a lot about Hyjal. Even in TBC the Caverns of Time let you go in for a raid with Archimonde there. So you finally get to see what Hyjal is like now.

Vashj'ir is an underwater zone. And while it is neat at first, it doesn't work that well. The whole being able to have enemies around you at every angle is cool until you're actually fighting them and you can't target....etc etc etc. If I were you I'd go back to Vashj'ir someday when you outlevel it and can easily kill stuff just to experience it, but I would avoid it for "current" content as related to your level.

----------

Thank you! I've forgotten all about that expansion. :eek: Let me figure out how Alliance gets the quest. Thanks! :)

Once you have the appropriate level you should get quests from a big "board" in SW near either auction house. This will direct you to the appropriate zones for Cataclysm since everything remained in Azeroth for that expansion and there were no new continents/worlds.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Hyjal.

If you played early in WoW then you no doubt heard a lot about Hyjal. Even in TBC the Caverns of Time let you go in for a raid with Archimonde there. So you finally get to see what Hyjal is like now.

Vashj'ir is an underwater zone. And while it is neat at first, it doesn't work that well. The whole being able to have enemies around you at every angle is cool until you're actually fighting them and you can't target....etc etc etc. If I were you I'd go back to Vashj'ir someday when you outlevel it and can easily kill stuff just to experience it, but I would avoid it for "current" content as related to your level.

----------

Once you have the appropriate level you should get quests from a big "board" in SW near either auction house. This will direct you to the appropriate zones for Cataclysm since everything remained in Azeroth for that expansion and there were no new continents/worlds.

Thanks! Got the quest off the Hero Board in Stormwind and went to Hyjal. When I fly over Stormwind, I'm still amazed! Now, what's the easiest way back to Stormwind? Is it to fly over to Dark Shore and catch the boat? I read online that some players keep their Inn in Stormwind, and there is a pool somewhere in SW that will portal you back to Hyjal or is that to Vash?

Btw, I dropped by in Dalaran expecting to see daily dungeons, but they seem to have gone away... There was a guy there offering up Naxx.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.