Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

negiemu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2014
Hi, i am using a Mac Mini Late 2014 I5 2.6 GHz and 8GB Ram.

I have two monitors (Asus Mx279) on it, one through HDMI and the other Through Thunderbolt.

Every time i boot up or restart my system , it seems to struggle to recognise the second monitor and sometimes even the first one.
Grey screen is shown for some seconds and the some weird scrabbling noises.

In my research on the internet i found that some users complaint bout similar problems in 2012 models and they called the issue "flickering".

I've had two 1+ hour sessions with apple support and we tried everything that the guy knew but still nothing. He proposed to re-install Yosemite but still nothing.

I've tried switching the cables, still no results.

Another Weird Bug is that every time i restart my system one new desktop appears in the multiple desktop.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Scubaman

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2011
Yosemite - Multiple Display Problems!

have a similar problem with 2 (dissimilar) screens attached to my Mac Pro (early 2008) - a DELL 1920 x 1200 my normal main screen and a smaller Panasonic TV VGA normally acting as a slave display (1280 x 768). Everything was fine under Mavericks but the upgrade to Yosemite has produced some weird problems:

(1) At Logon the smaller Panasonic Screen now presents the logon identities (I have several so I'm invited to scroll right to view them!!)
(2) Once logged in, the Panasonic Screen refuses to work in anything other than 1024 x 768 and defaults to the Yosemite "Mountain" desktop image rather than the photo I've tried setting it to several times???
(3) I can no longer access the Dock when working in the Panasonic Screen, and the Program Options header is only on the DELL even though the program is running in the Panasonic screen???

At this point I was going to insert 2 .tiff files of the display settings from "About this Mac" for Mavericks & Yosemite (they are different!) but for some reason the "insert image" button on this screen only allows me to select the image (187KB less than 2MB maximum) but not insert it!!!!

(4) As you have discovered I seem to be gathering an extra Desktop each time I log in too!!

I'm rather less than impressed at the moment...

Mac Pro (3,1) early 2008 OS X Yosemite 10.10.1
Like Show 0 Likes (0) Reply

negiemu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2014
I have tried everything possible with the apple support guy and whatever I found on the internet and still no solution.

Another strange thing is that my Logitech G500s mice was not working as ¨smooth¨as it was on windows.

In order to check if its software or hardware problem I installed windows to check my monitors and generally the system graphics behaviour.

Results was outstanding and since then I am using windows on my mac.

Scubaman

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2011
A Driver Problem

Following extensive phone discussions with Apple Tech Support, it turns out that my dual screen problem is down to the graphics card driver.

As ATi Graphics Card drivers (mine is a Radeon HD 5770) are part of MacOS it's down to Apple to resolve. The Tech guys have forwarded the issue onto Apple for further investigation.

In the meantime it's either put up with the problem - for me it's a start up problem that's ok in the short term - or revert back to Mavericks! Hopefully Apple will find a solution quickly.

Pmac46

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2014
2 hdmi Monitors NOT mirrored. Possible?

Is it possible to run 2 monitors, not mirrored, off the hdmi port of a mac mini? I need my thunderbolt for an audio interface. Thanks!

Last edited:

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Is it possible to run 2 monitors, not mirrored, off the hdmi port of a mac mini? I need my thunderbolt for an audio interface. Thanks!

no. I assume you have a pre-2014 since you only have one Thunderbolt port?

Pmac46

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2014
Yes, sorry, late 2012 running Mavericks. This is for Music Production. Looking for a solution that will allow me to run my Audio interface off the thunderbolt port, existing hard drives off the Fire Wire port, monitors via HDMI, keyboard, mouse dongles off USB's.
Thanks!!

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Yes, sorry, late 2012 running Mavericks. This is for Music Production. Looking for a solution that will allow me to run my Audio interface off the thunderbolt port, existing hard drives off the Fire Wire port, monitors via HDMI, keyboard, mouse dongles off USB's.
Thanks!!

You need to get something like the Caldigit Thunderbolt Dock and hook your second HDMI monitor up to that. Then hook your gear into the Thunderbolt Dock...

Mac Mini -> Thunderbolt Port -> Caldigit Thunderbolt Dock (with monitor hooked to HDMI) -> Thunderbolt Audio device

Then the other monitor can be hooked to the HDMI port directly

----------

I have tried everything possible with the apple support guy and whatever I found on the internet and still no solution.

Another strange thing is that my Logitech G500s mice was not working as ¨smooth¨as it was on windows.

In order to check if its software or hardware problem I installed windows to check my monitors and generally the system graphics behaviour.

Results was outstanding and since then I am using windows on my mac.

Can't help with your monitor, but have you turned up the tracking speed in the Mouse settings within OSX? Every OS tracks mice differently (Linux, OSX, Windows), you just have to adjust the OS's settings to get it to feel right. I always turn my tracking speed up in OSX.

Scubaman

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2011
Yosemite AND Graphics Card Support!

Been told by Apple Technical Guy (19 December 14) that my ATi Radeon HD 5770 graphics card (bought from Apple!) is no longer supported in Yosemite!! I can try replacing with an ATi HD 2600XT, return to Mavericks or put up with the inconvenience that my primary screen seems to be the VGA source and each time I log in I get another Desktop Space! The odd thing is that the HD 2600XT seems to be an older graphics card than my HD 5770? Not sure what;'s going on? See details of problem here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6618898

Mac Pro (Early 2008), Radeon HD 5770, Yosemite

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Been told by Apple Technical Guy (19 December 14) that my ATi Radeon HD 5770 graphics card (bought from Apple!) is no longer supported in Yosemite!! I can try replacing with an ATi HD 2600XT, return to Mavericks or put up with the inconvenience that my primary screen seems to be the VGA source and each time I log in I get another Desktop Space! The odd thing is that the HD 2600XT seems to be an older graphics card than my HD 5770? Not sure what;'s going on? See details of problem here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6618898

Mac Pro (Early 2008), Radeon HD 5770, Yosemite

No way that is true. The Radeon HD5770 was still being sold by Apple until the end of 2013! Any Mac Pro from 2010 until the release of the new (cylinder) Mac Pro all came with Apple ATI Radeon 5770's as the standard GPU (and the only upgrade option was the 5870 which was the same family of GPU).

akj850

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2015
Second monitor doesn't wake from sleep

I'm having a similar and possibly related problem.

When I wake from sleep on my mac mini the monitor connected to thunderbolt doesn't come back from sleep. The HDMI monitor wakes fine. I switched the primary and secondary display and it is consistently the one that connects through thunderbolt. I also switched from one thunderbolt port to the other port, and it didn't solve the problem.

Anyone seen/solved this one?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I'm having a similar and possibly related problem.

When I wake from sleep on my mac mini the monitor connected to thunderbolt doesn't come back from sleep. The HDMI monitor wakes fine. I switched the primary and secondary display and it is consistently the one that connects through thunderbolt. I also switched from one thunderbolt port to the other port, and it didn't solve the problem.

Anyone seen/solved this one?

I haven't seen it, but I can say that I have two monitors, one on each of the two Thunderbolt ports (they're HP monitors connected via mDP to full-size DisplayPort cables), and they both come out of sleep without difficulty.

How is your troublesome display connected? Via DisplayPort or via DP-to-DVI (or HDMI) adapter? Which brand adapter?

akj850

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2015
I haven't seen it, but I can say that I have two monitors, one on each of the two Thunderbolt ports (they're HP monitors connected via mDP to full-size DisplayPort cables), and they both come out of sleep without difficulty.

How is your troublesome display connected? Via DisplayPort or via DP-to-DVI (or HDMI) adapter? Which brand adapter?

I'm connecting two identical Dell monitors, the troublesome monitor is connected by mDP to DVI (I believe its an apple brand adapter). I used to have trouble with a previous mini I replaced, but with that one I could turn off the display and turn it back on and it would come up, but not so with this one.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I'm connecting two identical Dell monitors, the troublesome monitor is connected by mDP to DVI (I believe its an apple brand adapter). I used to have trouble with a previous mini I replaced, but with that one I could turn off the display and turn it back on and it would come up, but not so with this one.

Can you borrow a different mDP-to-DVI adapter to see if that's the issue?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
After receiving the new adapter, I'm still having the problem. I'm pretty baffled.

Very strange. I had two identical monitors (one DP, one HDMI-to-DVI) on my 2011 mini. Identical picture & calibration. On my new 2014 mini, with both monitors on DP, they still look the same.

Here's a thought - do both monitors have the same settings in the Displays/Color Calibration control panel?

akj850

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2015
Very strange. I had two identical monitors (one DP, one HDMI-to-DVI) on my 2011 mini. Identical picture & calibration. On my new 2014 mini, with both monitors on DP, they still look the same.

Here's a thought - do both monitors have the same settings in the Displays/Color Calibration control panel?

Yes, they show us as identical profiles, and the monitors have the same appearance. The only issue is that only one wakes up when the displays turn off in energy save mode. If I disconnect and reconnect the MDP->DVI then it comes up ok.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Yes, they show us as identical profiles, and the monitors have the same appearance. The only issue is that only one wakes up when the displays turn off in energy save mode. If I disconnect and reconnect the MDP->DVI then it comes up ok.

Duh, sorry. Confusing this thread with another similar one.
It's very strange, your issue.
Ever have any custom resolution settings or timings configured on your Mac? Something using SwitchRez?

akj850

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2015
Duh, sorry. Confusing this thread with another similar one.
It's very strange, your issue.
Ever have any custom resolution settings or timings configured on your Mac? Something using SwitchRez?

Nothing beyond the default settings set during monitor auto-detect. I wish there was some hardware information I could extract that would point to the problem.

akj850

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2015
Corrected with 10.10.2 update

Might be worth resetting the monitors.

It seems that this issue has now been resolved with the 10.10.2 update. I'm relieved I won't have to keep connecting and disconnecting my monitor cable.

Thank you for attempted solutions!

Sanjeet Nonia

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2015
Dell s2240l

Hi
I have a mac mini 2014 8 gb ram , and want to buy s2240l.

Can you people are suggest me that
1)Its working with this monitor or not
2)Is there connectivity problem of this monitor
3)And please suggest the monitor which working well in my mac mini 2014

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.