Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poe diddley

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
greensboro nc
So im in the market for a new router. I want to get a nice one that includes 802.11ac for future compatibility. I've looked at quite a few, and the only things holding me back from getting the Aiport Extreme are
1. Only 3 lan ports (why, Apple?)
2. Reported lack of advanced options in settings

I'm considering the following brands/models:
1. Netgear Nighthawk R7000, R7500, R8000
2. Asus AC68u, AC87u, AC66u
3. Linksys wrt1900ac
4. Apple AirPort Extreme

Just looking for some feedback from anyone who may own or have owned any of these listed. I know the Airport will be a super simple set up and all, but I need the ability for some advanced setup options, and im not sure what all you can or cannot do with it.

jday7757

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2012
I have the Linksys wrt1900ac and it is a great router and very configurable. I highly recommend it. However, if you really want the AirPort Extreme, you can always buy a network switch to add additional wired ports. They are relatively inexpensive. In fact, even with my Linksys, I need additional wired ports and use a switch.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I have and use the Asus and Netgear routers and they are excellent, lots of features and good performance.

I haven't used Linksys in a while, so I can't comment on how good they are these days.

I also have an Apple AirPort Extreme, but in terms of customization, features, and performance, it's pretty terrible. Main issue is the lack of performance especially for the price. For the price you can get many other options on the market with a lot better range and speed. Even lacking most customization and options. For example AirPlay speakers functionality requires an AirPort Express (which to me makes no sense). You can't even attach a USB drive anymore and use it for Time Machine; you need to buy the Time Capsule for that! I know on the Asus, you can attached an USB drive and use it as a Time Capsule functionality with no additional software required. That's just pathetic.

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
I have a new Extreme I've attached a USB drive to that functions just fine as a Time Machine backup for 2 rMBPs.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I got a Time Capsule (newest version) for backing up the Macbooks, and I use a couple of Netgear managed switches for the rest of what I need.

I've been very disappointed by the 5 GHz / ac performance. When I'm in my workroom, about 30' from the TC, I see network connections to my rMBP in the 60s and 70s (ac on 5) but twice that with n on 2.4. I don't know why this is -- I'm not that far away. Maybe it's defective.

When it's time to replace, I won't get another. Not worth it.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So im in the market for a new router. I want to get a nice one that includes 802.11ac for future compatibility. I've looked at quite a few, and the only things holding me back from getting the Aiport Extreme are

3. Linksys wrt1900ac
4. Apple AirPort Extreme

Just looking for some feedback from anyone who may own or have owned any of these listed. I know the Airport will be a super simple set up and all, but I need the ability for some advanced setup options, and im not sure what all you can or cannot do with it.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/rankers/router/view

Look over the reviews and forums at Smallnetbuilder. They do very through reviews. Unless you need Time Machine support, there is very little to recommend with the Airport Extreme. In objective testing it performs worse than the others in its class. And as you mentioned, it is very feature poor.

I would focus on the Asus AC68U and the Netgear R7000. They have been out longer than the newer models and the firmware is more mature. The updated wifi modes of the newer models are not supported on any current client devices anyway, so you are paying for wifi speeds you will never achieve.

Reactions: phrehdd

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

3. Linksys wrt1900ac
4. Apple AirPort Extreme

I would go with the AirPort Extreme or the Linksys WRT1900AC. I use an Extreme as the main router of a network of twelve AirPort Expresses (access points) at school serving over 150 clients a day without a hitch! The AirPort Extreme also offers native support for Time Machine to USB hard drives.

The Linksys is going to be a more configurable and faster router in benchmarks. The Extreme is going to offer fantastic stability, reliability, and speed at the loss of some configurability. That being said, most users do not need additional features that are not found in the Extreme except in certain environments. I am quite happy with the Extreme at home and at school, and would not have any issues recommending it despite the shortcomings. The downfall of the Linksys is the lack of "set it and forget it" mentality that comes with the Extreme.

I also have an Apple AirPort Extreme, but in terms of customization, features, and performance, it's pretty terrible. Main issue is the lack of performance especially for the price. For the price you can get many other options on the market with a lot better range and speed. Even lacking most customization and options. For example AirPlay speakers functionality requires an AirPort Express (which to me makes no sense). You can't even attach a USB drive anymore and use it for Time Machine; you need to buy the Time Capsule for that! I know on the Asus, you can attached an USB drive and use it as a Time Capsule functionality with no additional software required. That's just pathetic.

Are you referencing the sixth generation AirPort Extreme (tower style)? If so, you are misinformed on the capabilities of the Extreme. While the Express is the only AirPort to indeed offer AirPlay, the AirPort Extreme officially supports Time Machine to USB drives as of the sixth generation. Owners of previous generation Extreme's have had luck getting Time Machine working, however it was always unsupported. The ASUS support for Time Machine is not official, and the support can be broken with any update to either the router or OS X. In my tests, the AirPort Extreme is a solid performer but does lack the configurability of the ASUS.

UKgaryb

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2013
Manchester, UK
Smallnetbuilder tests things under very odd lab type conditions and they are way to biased.

Linksys have a slight problem of being pretty rubbish in terms of security and vulnerabilities : http://arstechnica.com/security/201...inksys-routers-with-self-replicating-malware/

Not used the Asus but i can say for 1 thing: The Airport Extreme CAN be used as a time machine backup point with a USB Hard Disk, don't listen to fud by other people. They run NETBSD and are generally regarded as some of the most secure consumer grade routers.

Ask yourself, what 'advanced' features do you need that the airport can't do?

If you want advanced I highly recommend getting a setup like my own:
Router - Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Access Point - x3 Apple Airport Extreme 802.11ac currently sat 3 rooms away with a PHY of 585Mbps

kanewtz

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2014
Northern Ontario
I know this is late...but I've been searching and trying to find out which router was best to buy.

I ended up buying the following:
- Airport Time Capsule (2GB)
- Airport Express

- Netgear Nighthawk R7000

I figured, since I couldn't decide...I will purchase both and test them in my house.

I have a 2 storey (~2400sqft) home with an unfinished basement. Office + bedrooms are on the 2nd storey. Router was placed on the main floor against the back wall in the centre of my dining/living room.

Apple Router
I hooked up the TC to the modem and then bridged an Express on my 2nd storey to get full wireless coverage. While it was great and working quite well, I couldn't justify spending $400+ to have full wireless coverage to my iPads, iPhones, rMBP, Chromecast, etc.

Netgear Nighthawk R7000
This router actually took the same amount of time to hook up as the TC. I only have this router running right now and I get full speed anywhere in my house. Pretty impressed with it. While it is significantly larger (and cooler looking, IMHO) this router has so far been working excellent for me. I would recommend it if you can get it for a decent price (I paid $150, in Canada).

I will continue to test and report back in week!

Cheers!

Reactions: BeefCake 15

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014

3. Linksys wrt1900ac
4. Apple AirPort Extreme

Are you on Tmobile? If so, as a Tmobile customer, you can order the AC68U for free. It's rebranded as the Tmobile cellspot. I just did it and received mine yesterday. talk about a $180 savings! That's my Blackfriday deal.

Oh, and it's fast!

AtomicGrog

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011

How many ports do you need? is it just the 1 more or lots?

And what are the advanced options you're looking for?

MkVsTheWorld

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2010
Baltimore
Are you on Tmobile? If so, as a Tmobile customer, you can order the AC68U for free. It's rebranded as the Tmobile cellspot. I just did it and received mine yesterday. talk about a $180 savings! That's my Blackfriday deal.

Oh, and it's fast!

This is a good option even if you aren't a T-Mobile customer. Last I heard you can get the router online for $99 on their prepaid site.

pierrox

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2015
Paris, France
Interesting thread. Where do we stand 2 years later?
I'm in the market for an AC router - since I use a MacBook 12" and an iPhone 7 which can both do it.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Interesting thread. Where do we stand 2 years later?
I'm in the market for an AC router - since I use a MacBook 12" and an iPhone 7 which can both do it.
Each year the site Smallnetbuilder does an overview of the router market along with some recommendations. Their latest just came out and is here. Interestingly, for the home user, they still recommend the AC1900 class as the best bang for the buck for most people.

The two routers I mentioned up in post #6 are still good choices in that AC1900 class and are reasonably priced.

I would focus on the Asus AC68U and the Netgear R7000.

Last edited:

pierrox

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2015
Paris, France
Thanks guys, just read several articles on SmallNetBuilder, and indeed those seemed the best choice. And the good news is that their price dropped since this thread opened!

Reactions: Weaselboy

pierrox

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2015
Paris, France
Thanks to Black Friday, I got a R7000 for less than $100. I've installed Tomato firmware on it, with default settings, and did a couple of bandwidth tests. Please to see that the results were 4x higher than when connected in N mode.
Now I have to learn more about vlan to integrate it better in my setup.

Reactions: CoastalOR

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Thanks to Black Friday, I got a R7000 for less than $100. I've installed Tomato firmware on it, with default settings, and did a couple of bandwidth tests. Please to see that the results were 4x higher than when connected in N mode.
Now I have to learn more about vlan to integrate it better in my setup.

So where did you pick up the r7000 under 100 dollars?

Btw, while ac is awesome, you'll find most likely that 802.11n devices have improved speed on that router. In many cases, an 802.11ac router does "n" better than an "n" router.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I got the R7000, so far so good, 0 complaints, GUI is easy to setup.
I heard once that Netgear routers tend to die after a couple of years, not sure if rumor or true, but everyone on Amazon gave this router 5 stars

Reactions: Weaselboy

Forum-User

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2009
T-Mobile still offers the ASUS AC68U rebranded as Wi-Fi CellSpot Router for $99 with a current promo code WIFI40 for $40 off. The router comes configured to prioritize Wi-Fi phone call bandwidth, but otherwise works similar to the $150+ non-T-Mobile version.

Reactions: phairphan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.