Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMadsen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2014
Hello

I know there is a lot of topics regarding some aspects of this question.

But i'm torn between iCloud (mail, calendar, contacts, cloud) and Google service.

I have sold my PC and is on macbook now, and ipad and iphone.

Could you give some cons and press, and what solution do you use yourself?

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
For mail, calendar and contacts I use icloud. Google is not bad, but apple stuff is set up for it.

For storage, photos, etc. I use dropbox and onedrive. I don't think icloud is ready to compete in this regard and I have acquired quite a bit more storage with dropbox than 5gb and with onedrive I have 10tb waiting for it to be updated to unlimited.

exi

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
My usage:

iCloud: mail, contacts, calendars. Experimenting with using iCloud apps, like Pages and Keynote, as opposed to the Office equivalents, at least until Office for Mac 2015.

Dropbox: file synchronization. Using aliases on my home machine to selectively synchronize folders outside of my Dropbox folder, and in conjunction with the Dropbox iOS app on my iPad and iPhone.

Google: nothing. Old Gmail addresses forward to my iCloud email address.

For PIM, Apple software and hardware works great together. There are some issues with iCloud mail as far as reliability and silent filtering which are well discussed on this forum, including in threads of my own. In the end, it's probably more reliable than some give it credit for, possibly myself included. I'm currently using iCloud mail without much of an issue to my knowledge, though have had issues in the past.

It's really a matter of what you're trying to accomplish.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.