Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derekww

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2014
Upgraded from 10.9.5 to 10.10.1. Decided to roll back to 10.9 after one day.

I didn't encounter any of these problems: WiFi issues, wake from sleep, slow Finder, or HD name (2). Mouse is very slightly but perceivably less smooth. Other then that it worked. These apps work fine: Firefox, AirPlay, VLC, MacJournal, Quark, PS, Thunderbird. But Parallels 9 gave me trouble, a whole range of weird behavior that after a few hours I couldn't fix. Probably can fix it after more time, but decided to roll back 'cos I don't see much gain overall. I have read about all the new features but they are not really must haves for me.

The major sticking point for me was the whole new look:
  • font (I might get used to it after a while)
  • transparency (why does part of my white window have a big patch of orange stain? distracts me from my workflow, nowhere in the real world would I hold a piece of paper and see orange colour from something underneath! when I am reading a letter in the real world I do not want to kinda sorta see what's behind it on my desk. if this was useful--as Apple claims--we would all be using translucent paper!)
  • buttons (crude looking)
  • app icons (they need to have more consistent visual weight)
  • menulette icons (again visual weight problem, what a mess!)
  • folder colours (fluorescent glowing blue?!)

I was looking forward to the new look actually as I like iOS 8, but for some reason it didn't work for me at all when the new look is applied to the desktop OS. From a graphic design point of view, iOS 8 is slick and "shiny" with great fit and finish, but 10.10 is jarring, clunky, awkward, cheap toy from China rather than a Swiss watch. Functionally it seems fine, other than my mouse issue. But graphically it lacks refinement. I can only hope they would refine it like how they did from 10.0 to 10.6.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
Upgraded from 10.9.5 to 10.10.1. Decided to roll back to 10.9 after one day.

I didn't encounter any of these problems: WiFi issues, wake from sleep, slow Finder, or HD name (2). Mouse is very slightly but perceivably less smooth. Other then that it worked. These apps work fine: Firefox, AirPlay, VLC, MacJournal, Quark, PS, Thunderbird. But Parallels 9 gave me trouble, a whole range of weird behavior that after a few hours I couldn't fix. Probably can fix it after more time, but decided to roll back 'cos I don't see much gain overall. I have read about all the new features but they are not really must haves for me.

The major sticking point for me was the whole new look:
  • font (I might get used to it after a while)
  • transparency (why does part of my white window have a big patch of orange stain? distracts me from my workflow, nowhere in the real world would I hold a piece of paper and see orange colour from something underneath! when I am reading a letter in the real world I do not want to kinda sorta see what's behind it on my desk. if this was useful--as Apple claims--we would all be using translucent paper!)
  • buttons (crude looking)
  • app icons (they need to have more consistent visual weight)
  • menulette icons (again visual weight problem, what a mess!)
  • folder colours (fluorescent glowing blue?!)

I was looking forward to the new look actually as I like iOS 8, but for some reason it didn't work for me at all when the new look is applied to the desktop OS. From a graphic design point of view, iOS 8 is slick and "shiny" with great fit and finish, but 10.10 is jarring, clunky, awkward, cheap toy from China rather than a Swiss watch. Functionally it seems fine, other than my mouse issue. But graphically it lacks refinement. I can only hope they would refine it like how they did from 10.0 to 10.6.

Yosemite is hideous, IMO. Ivy ruined the look, including Safari which used to look great.
You can turn off transparency in the accessibility system preference but the OS still bothers me to look at it, especially the re-size buttons.
Ivy needs to be kept away from software. After the new Mini I think he needs to be kept away from hardware as well

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I just want to state something that might fix wireless issues in Yosemite if they use a dual band router.

Just change the name of your 5GHz an AC channel names to something slightly different name for those frequencies, this will help.

I did this with mine in my dual band Apple N router and made a world of difference!

MacRum2011

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2011
I still have a WiFi issue where it just drops out once in a while. Its the only issue I have experienced since Yosemite.

msh

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
SoCal
Yosemite is hideous, IMO. Ivy ruined the look, including Safari which used to look great.
You can turn off transparency in the accessibility system preference but the OS still bothers me to look at it, especially the re-size buttons.
Ivy needs to be kept away from software. After the new Mini I think he needs to be kept away from hardware as well

I don't agree. I put Yosemite on an early '08 MBP and text is noticeably clearer; performance is as good as it was under Mavericks except for one big thing - smb sharing with Windows doesn't fully work (see my earlier post for details).

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
I tried some tweaks to see if it would help.
Removing flash did nothing and made youtube act up even with click to flash so I re-installed it
I unchecked everything in the spotlight preferences and emptied out all notifications and everything in the 'today' side of notifications just to give the computer less to do.
I also ran Onyx, everything it has.
Right now performance has improved, I don't know which of the things I did helped or all of them, but it has improved.
I do get the spinning beach ball in safari every so often.
I still think the design is hideous and safari looks like ass

msh

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
SoCal
I tried some tweaks to see if it would help.
Removing flash did nothing and made youtube act up even with click to flash so I re-installed it
I unchecked everything in the spotlight preferences and emptied out all notifications and everything in the 'today' side of notifications just to give the computer less to do.
I also ran Onyx, everything it has.
Right now performance has improved, I don't know which of the things I did helped or all of them, but it has improved.
I do get the spinning beach ball in safari every so often.

I haven't had any problems with youtube or safari and, let me repeat, I have Yosemite on an EARLY '08 MACBOOKPRO! There are probably some valid usability criticisms of buttons and such. But as far as aesthetic appeal, that is a matter of taste and , well, you know, there's just no accounting for that.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here

Heh, that made me chuckle. :D

----------

I haven't had any problems with youtube or safari and, let me repeat, I have Yosemite on an EARLY '08 MACBOOKPRO! There are probably some valid usability criticisms of buttons and such. But as far as aesthetic appeal, that is a matter of taste and , well, you know, there's just no accounting for that.

I agree, and made that point earlier. What many are arguing now isn't so much about aesthetics, but functionality.

The loss of title bars, the lack button emphasis, the lack of contrast...

They aren't really about option, but a question of usability. I think Yosemite is very "beautiful" for software, but lacks the usability of older versions of OS X.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I just want to state something that might fix wireless issues in Yosemite if they use a dual band router.

Just change the name of your 5GHz an AC channel names to something slightly different name for those frequencies, this will help.

I did this with mine in my dual band Apple N router and made a world of difference!

That didn't work for me. I really need to call apple, but i have been so busy. Do you think the tech support lines will be busy during black Friday? I'm certainly not going out then.

msh

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
SoCal
Heh, that made me chuckle. :D

----------

I agree, and made that point earlier. What many are arguing now isn't so much about aesthetics, but functionality.

The loss of title bars, the lack button emphasis, the lack of contrast...

They aren't really about option, but a question of usability. I think Yosemite is very "beautiful" for software, but lacks the usability of older versions of OS X.
Fair point.

They did fix one thing on Yosemite, though, that no one seems to notice: colors are now correct on both the OS and Safari when using wide-gamut monitors.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
Safari keeps hanging when trying to connect to websites at times. It has also crashed more times since the upgrade than in the last 5 years.
Basically safari never crashed for me until Yosemite came along

cj2164

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2014
osx 10.10.1 bluetooth connection drops

WiFi is working with no issues. Bluetooth is a nightmare. All my devices, iPhone, iPad, second MacBook Pro, Bose wireless headphones, are in the list. Click each to pair, it pairs for 2 seconds then disconnects. I don't care who comes up with the solution as long as they come up with it fast!:eek:

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
I just want my computer to behave like it should, especially after spending 100 bucks to upgrade the RAM.
Safari keeps freezing and lagging, spinning beach balls, crashing for the first time ever and the computer is slower than before Yosemite infested it

msh

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
SoCal
I just want my computer to behave like it should, especially after spending 100 bucks to upgrade the RAM.
Safari keeps freezing and lagging, spinning beach balls, crashing for the first time ever and the computer is slower than before Yosemite infested it

I have one big problem with Yosemite: file sharing to Windows via SMB. But Safari freezing, lagging, beach balling and slowness are not issues for me. I say this after installing Yosemite on 2 Mac Minis ('09, '12), a '08 MBP, '11 Macbook Air, and '09 Mac Pro. So yeah, sounds like you have a local problem with your configuration.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
I have one big problem with Yosemite: file sharing to Windows via SMB. But Safari freezing, lagging, beach balling and slowness are not issues for me. I say this after installing Yosemite on 2 Mac Minis ('09, '12), a '08 MBP, '11 Macbook Air, and '09 Mac Pro. So yeah, sounds like you have a local problem with your configuration.

It was doing this before the RAM upgrade, that's why I upgraded, thinking it would help
Your Yosemite must be different to my Yosemite then, because I don't have any of those problems with it.
Yet many people are having issues, not just me. Perhaps Yosemite doesn't like my graphics card?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.