Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'm sure this has been done lots of times on this thread, but... What do you think the best designed video game controller is. Also, mobile consoles (GB, 3DS, Lynx, Game Gear...) count as well, since they are controllers too.

My personal favorite is the original Nintendo GameCube controller. It was a HUGE jump from the N64 controller and felt extremely comfortable in your hands. Your thumbs reached the circle sticks perfectly.

Post your favorite below! :D

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Gamecube by FAR. Still so comfy, still works perfectly, great rumble, analogue triggers. Absolute fave.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I'm either going for the GameCube controller or the Xbox One controller (loved the 360 controls and the One has made it better).

BUT.....I really loved the original NES controller as well. It was perfect for the games that were out then.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Original Atari 2600 Joystick.. :eek:

Atari2600joystick.jpg

;)

Current gen: Wii U Pro Controller

Wii_U_Pro_Controller_(Black).png

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Gamecube by FAR. Still so comfy, still works perfectly, great rumble, analogue triggers. Absolute fave.

Completely agree...

----------

I'm either going for the GameCube controller or the Xbox One controller (loved the 360 controls and the One has made it better).

BUT.....I really loved the original NES controller as well. It was perfect for the games that were out then.

I currently have a 360 and don't mind the controller very much... As for the NES controller, it was indeed perfect for the games in it's time. SNES did a good job improving the NES controller, as well. However, I wouldn't rate the original controler anywhere near the top because of the fact that it was a sharp rectangle, which caused the Nintendo Blisters, lol.

----------

Original Atari 2600 Joystick.. :eek:

;)

Current gen: Wii U Pro Controller

I can't comment on the Atari because I don't have one, however, using a Wii and a Wii U, the pro controller is a major step up from the classic controller on the Wii, which needed a special shell to give it that GameCube controller feel. I don't have the pro controller, but it seems comfortable to use by the picture.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I currently have a 360 and don't mind the controller very much... As for the NES controller, it was indeed perfect for the games in it's time. SNES did a good job improving the NES controller, as well. However, I wouldn't rate the original controler anywhere near the top because of the fact that it was a sharp rectangle, which caused the Nintendo Blisters, lol.

Actually I kinda agree with Jovian9, love the NES controller even with its square edges! It never hurt as a kid and still hasn't with my recent NES revisit. It's a lot more responsive/less squishy than the SNES one too.

Wii-Classic-Controller-White.jpg

I really want to use this more though. I think it has the best dpad design and feel of any controller and I'm a sucker for transparent buttons. Also has analogue triggers and hexagonal grooves for the analogue sticks. Shame its main use is Virtual Console games for me :(

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Actually I kinda agree with Jovian9, love the NES controller even with its square edges! It never hurt as a kid and still hasn't with my recent NES revisit. It's a lot more responsive/less squishy than the SNES one too.

Wii-Classic-Controller-White.jpg

I really want to use this more though. I think it has the best dpad design and feel of any controller and I'm a sucker for transparent buttons. Also has analogue triggers and hexagonal grooves for the analogue sticks. Shame its main use is Virtual Console games for me :(

I, too, have an NES and don't mind the edges, either. It was a very well built controller.

I actually just noticed the abyx buttons on the pro controller afe on the bottom, with the two control sticks on the top. I don't think I like that too much, since one hand has to be higher than the other to play the games.

Going back to the classic controller, it did have very good placement for everything, but like you said, shame that it wasn't adapted and used for stuff other than VC games...

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I've always preferred the PlayStation pad due to my small hands. However, because I game on a PC, it's just kinda easier to use an XBOX 360 pad.

I don't think any of today's pads are bad. Nothing compared to the spaceship of a pad Nintendo made for the Nintendo 64 at least. God knows what they were thinking when they designed this.
250px-N64-Controller-Gray.jpg

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Of old-school controllers, my favorite will always be the original Microsoft Sidewinder Game Pad, both the controller port (that you used to plug into your sound card) and USB versions. I still own the latter to this day, and it's awesome for emulation and classic PC games. I'm also probably one of a handful of people who actually liked the Dreamcast controller, too. :)

The Gamecube hardware was great, with the Wavebird still being the best wireless controller ever made, but my favorite of recent examples is still the Xbox 360 for its design and compatibility.

Edit: To roadbloc's post above - I have small hands, too, and I cannot stand the DualShock, mostly because the thumbsticks are in an unnatural position. Microsoft really got this right on the Xbox, 360, and ne controllers. While the DS has the superior D-pad, it doesn't really help much when my hands get sore after playing my PS3 for an extended period. I'm also aware that there are third-party PS3 controllers that mimic the Xbox layout, but they either don't work or are missing features.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Of old-school controllers, my favorite will always be the original Microsoft Sidewinder Game Pad, both the controller port (that you used to plug into your sound card) and USB versions. I still own the latter to this day, and it's awesome for emulation and classic PC games. I'm also probably one of a handful of people who actually liked the Dreamcast controller, too. :)

The Gamecube hardware was great, with the Wavebird still being the best wireless controller ever made, but my favorite of recent examples is still the Xbox 360 for its design and compatibility.

Edit: To roadbloc's post above - I have small hands, too, and I cannot stand the DualShock, mostly because the thumbsticks are in an unnatural position. Microsoft really got this right on the Xbox, 360, and ne controllers. While the DS has the superior D-pad, it doesn't really help much when my hands get sore after playing my PS3 for an extended period. I'm also aware that there are third-party PS3 controllers that mimic the Xbox layout, but they either don't work or are missing features.

The wave bird is truely the best controller in the world, i just wish i got one way back when. My cousin had 2 and on multiple occasions i tried to pay him for them, but he wouldnt give them up... As for the PS3, I dont have one, but I've used my friend's before, and those analog sticks are ROUGH! I scratch up my fingers using that controller... Everything else seems comoftable, but I still like the Xbox controller better and I think it is the best modern controller by far.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
I've always preferred the PlayStation pad due to my small hands. However, because I game on a PC, it's just kinda easier to use an XBOX 360 pad.

I don't think any of today's pads are bad. Nothing compared to the spaceship of a pad Nintendo made for the Nintendo 64 at least. God knows what they were thinking when they designed this.

They obviously thought the D-pad would remain the primary directional control. I never thought it was bad actually.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
They obviously thought the D-pad would remain the primary directional control. I never thought it was bad actually.

It makes sense though, and Nintendo followed through on that too.

Basically... you break the controller up into the lower and upper tier. On Sony and Nintendo consoles they have complementary buttons on the same tier. So for 2D games you primarily play with dpad and face buttons, for 3D you need camera control too (most of the time) so your thumbs are more or less glued to the analogue sticks.

After playing Wii U and PS3+4 so much I find it odd now to go back to playing FPS/other 3D games with a 360 controller. Why should one thumb be higher up than the other?

(And also I've noticed with Sony controllers that it's easy to press up on the left stick and be able to press down on the dpad. I haven't seen any games make use of this, but it's easier to do than press down on the stick and up on the dpad on a 360)

foobarbazqux

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2014
The GameCube controller is my favorite as well and by quite a large margin. While I like the Wii U Pro controller, I wish Nintendo based it off the GameCube controller instead.

The Xbox, PS and Wii U Pro controller are all sort of lumped together as my 2nd favorite. I'm not sure I really like any one better than another. I'm tempted to say the Wii U Pro controller but that's mainly because it's what I use the most these days.

Last edited:

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
Well yeah, Nintendo did just re-release it as well as an adapter for their latest console to use it on... :eek:

;)

Too bad the re-released gamecube controller + adapter is only good on SSB. Also too bad they don't make a wireless version. If it was wireless and supported more Wii U games, I'd be all over it.

The pro controller is OK and good enough for me on SSB. The buttons are exactly the same as the gamepad, just spaced more comfortably.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
The GameCube controller. Extremely comfortable, the best analogue stick around, ultra-responsive- I'm starting to doubt I'll ever find a controller I like more than it.

I also don't mind the PS1-PS3 controller. I've always found it reasonably comfortable. I don't like the PS4 controller though, the sticks feel awful.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Well! I just got one of those official Nintendo Smash Bros GC controllers. It really it just a new GC controller - same weight, same insides. Wonder why they fired up the kiln for this and its one supporting game?

But more importantly my GC controller (original one) was bought on launch day in the UK and survived through the whole GC era, Brawl era and now the Wii U era and it hasn't aged at all. The only difference is that the analogue triggers are a bit looser than the new one. They age very well.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Well! I just got one of those official Nintendo Smash Bros GC controllers. It really it just a new GC controller - same weight, same insides. Wonder why they fired up the kiln for this and its one supporting game?

But more importantly my GC controller (original one) was bought on launch day in the UK and survived through the whole GC era, Brawl era and now the Wii U era and it hasn't aged at all. The only difference is that the analogue triggers are a bit looser than the new one. They age very well.

That's great to hear, I'm going to take the opportunity to stock up on a few. Especially now that people are working on PC drivers for the Wii U adaptor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.