Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
Hey guys,

I know this has been asked before but nothing has helped me so far. I'm running a late 2012 13" rMBP on Maverick with a 2560x1440 external display. Now I would like to get a nice 1280x720 HiDPI resolution on the external display. I already tried the trick with the terminal command, but it won't show other options in the option menu. I also installed switchresx, but selecting 720p (HiDPI) and restarting will only result in my Mac freezing at starting until I unplug the external display and creating a custom scaled resolution will also not work. The only HiDPI resolution I got to work with Switchresx is 1920x1080 which is admittedly much better for my eyes, but still not what I want. Does anybody have a resolution for my problem?

Best in advance!

relyes

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2012
Hey guys,

I know this has been asked before but nothing has helped me so far. I'm running a late 2012 13" rMBP on Maverick with a 2560x1440 external display. Now I would like to get a nice 1280x720 HiDPI resolution on the external display. I already tried the trick with the terminal command, but it won't show other options in the option menu. I also installed switchresx, but selecting 720p (HiDPI) and restarting will only result in my Mac freezing at starting until I unplug the external display and creating a custom scaled resolution will also not work. The only HiDPI resolution I got to work with Switchresx is 1920x1080 which is admittedly much better for my eyes, but still not what I want. Does anybody have a resolution for my problem?

Best in advance!

I'm trying to output 1080p HiDPI on an extrenal monitor from a MBP 15", and I've not been able to do this on Mavericks. It sounds like you found a solution? What is the terminal command trick you referenced? I have SwitchresX installed, but I'm not seeing any HiDPI options for my external display.

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
I'm trying to output 1080p HiDPI on an extrenal monitor from a MBP 15", and I've not been able to do this on Mavericks. It sounds like you found a solution? What is the terminal command trick you referenced? I have SwitchresX installed, but I'm not seeing any HiDPI options for my external display.

I ran the following line in Terminal, which is what I found online:

Code:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool YES

Log out and in again.

For me this didn't enable any new HiDPI option, but in the SwitchresX menu I can select 1080p HiDPI mode now, see attachment.
For the love of god I can't select the 720p HiDPI option, which is what I actually want.

Attachments

• SwitchResX.png
    SwitchResX.png
    455.4 KB · Views: 2,247

relyes

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2012
well, i ran this terminal command, and it appears that the 1080p 31Hz HiDPI option is now visible and enabled in SwitchResX, but when I try to apply it, nothing happens. I don't know why this is sometimes the case with SRX, but damn if it's not frustrating. Not sure where to go from here. I had a great setup on Mountain Lion using Tom Horvath's patch for the 165Mhz clock ceiling patch, but post-Mavericks, I just can't get 1080p HiDPI on an external display.

(FWIW, I'm using the Seiki 50" 4K TV, which is otherwise a crazy awesome 2nd monitor if you turn down torch mode).

robbiet480

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2014
well, i ran this terminal command, and it appears that the 1080p 31Hz HiDPI option is now visible and enabled in SwitchResX, but when I try to apply it, nothing happens. I don't know why this is sometimes the case with SRX, but damn if it's not frustrating. Not sure where to go from here. I had a great setup on Mountain Lion using Tom Horvath's patch for the 165Mhz clock ceiling patch, but post-Mavericks, I just can't get 1080p HiDPI on an external display.

(FWIW, I'm using the Seiki 50" 4K TV, which is otherwise a crazy awesome 2nd monitor if you turn down torch mode).

I'm also having the same issue, but with the 39" Seiki, and the latest 15" MBP w/ Retina.

vicjang

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2014
Was anyone able to resolve the issue?

I was using a 11" MacBook Air connected to a Thunderbolt display.
The terminal command worked and I can see the HiDPI options in System Preferences. I was able to use 1280x720 HiDPI with this setup.

However when using a 15" MacBook Pro Retina connected to the same Thunderbolt Display:

1. terminal command didn't help, and it's not necessary anyway because it's enabled by default on MBP Retina.

2. SwitchResX did show a few HiDPI option, but same as the OP, I can select the 1280x720 HiDPI, but it simply doesn't do anything.

3. ResolutionTab(App Store) did not work. It gave me only non-HiDPI resolutions on the Thunderbolt Display.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.