Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
I have a Late 2011 MBP which has been awesome. All I changed was the HD to a 512gb SSD and 8mb ram.

Looking at getting a new MBP and giving this one to my daughter as her Windows PC is ***** to say the least.

Question, I was looking at getting this one with the following spec
2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz
16GB 1600MHz memory
256GB PCIe-based flash storage1
Intel Iris Pro Graphics

Can I simply swap my SSD out with that one so I don't lose anything or should I simply get the above with a new 512GB SSD and transfer what I need?

Or just get this one
2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
16GB 1600MHz memory
512GB PCIe-based flash storage 1
Intel Iris Pro Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB GDDR5 memory

??

I use it for work, do light video editing which this one I have is more than up to but other than being used 10hrs a day for its life it doesn't stress at all.

Will add that this was my first MAC and never brought one because I didn't think the price was justified. How WRONG, was I lol.

Still as quick, slick, sleek as the day I took it out the box and put the SSD inside. 3 years later I would have been on my 2nd coming up to my 3rd Windows based machine. I cant see this dying anytime soon but my daughter needs a new comp so I thought I might as well treat us both :)

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I have a Late 2011 MBP which has been awesome. All I changed was the HD to a 512gb SSD and 8mb ram.

Looking at getting a new MBP and giving this one to my daughter as her Windows PC is ***** to say the least.

Question, I was looking at getting this one with the following spec
2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz
16GB 1600MHz memory
256GB PCIe-based flash storage1
Intel Iris Pro Graphics

Can I simply swap my SSD out with that one so I don't lose anything or should I simply get the above with a new 512GB SSD and transfer what I need?

Or just get this one
2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
16GB 1600MHz memory
512GB PCIe-based flash storage 1
Intel Iris Pro Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB GDDR5 memory

??

I use it for work, do light video editing which this one I have is more than up to but other than being used 10hrs a day for its life it doesn't stress at all.

Will add that this was my first MAC and never brought one because I didn't think the price was justified. How WRONG, was I lol.

Still as quick, slick, sleek as the day I took it out the box and put the SSD inside. 3 years later I would have been on my 2nd coming up to my 3rd Windows based machine. I cant see this dying anytime soon but my daughter needs a new comp so I thought I might as well treat us both :)

You can't swap the ssd into either machine you've listed. Both use blade ssd's

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple uses proprietary SSD for the current MBPs, so you can't pull your SSD form your current setup and use that. I'd opt for the second configuration based on that information.

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
I would suggest buying the lower spec unit and using some of the money saved over the higher spec unit to purchase an external drive. You can find the lower spec unit for $1699 (I picked one up for $1500 and change) or lower at Bestbuy or online in the US.

For what you need the higher spec model is just not worth it. It appears the only thing you may take advantage of is the larger SSD. $300-400 dollars for an extra 256 GB of RAM is a bit steep. For that amount you can pick up a 4 TB or larger external drive with change to spare. You can always keep your active projects on your internal SSD then archive to the external drive. It's also a bit safer to have the archives outside of your computer in a fireproof safe.

Something else that you can do is buy an external case for your existing SSD, and put a new SSD in the machine you are going to give to your daughter. Then use the external SSD as your project/archive drive.

Last edited:

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
I would suggest buying the lower spec unit and using some of the money saved over the higher spec unit to purchase an external drive. You can find the lower spec unit for $1699 (I picked one up for $1500 and change) or lower at Bestbuy or online in the US.

For what you need the higher spec model is just not worth it. It appears the only thing you may take advantage of is the larger SSD. $300-400 dollars for an extra 256 GB of RAM is a bit steep. For that amount you can pick up a 4 TB or larger external drive with change to spare. You can always keep your active projects on your internal SSD then archive to the external drive. It's also a bit safer to have the archives outside of your computer in a fireproof safe.

Something else that you can do is buy an external case for your existing SSD, and put a new SSD in the machine you are going to give to your daughter. Then use the external SSD as your project/archive drive.

Yea, I think the higher spec one will be over kill completely.

Thanks guys

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.