Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
The voiceover seemed a bit cheesy to me. Maybe should have gotten Clive Revill (original voice of the Emperor) or Ian McDiarmid (Chancellor Palpatine).

And yeah, some of the things like the rolly-ball droid and "sword saber" seemed like "yeah, we did that because we can, it should look bad ass!" more than thinking up things that would organically exist in that world. Which is what the crappier Star Wars movies did, so that's a red flag for me.

I mean don't get me wrong, I will definitely go see it, in IMAX, but I wasn't blown away by this teaser.

calisurfboy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
30 second of the teaser was not lens flares so that is a good start right there...... I do like the fact it is drawing upon old fans with the music and Millennium Falcon as well as showing new elements such as the fact there is a focus on the troopers.

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
Disney spent a LOT of money buying Star Wars, once they make a few sequels and Lucas passes away and isn't around anymore, I'd put money on those horrendous, hated prequels being replaced by better ones.

This trilogy will be 2015, 2018, 2021. Take few years off, the next trilogy (about the old republic ID guess) will be 2025, 2028, 2031. Then they'll get around to redoing the prequels, except they'll redo all six, starting with episode 1, since there will be no need for in media res.

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
Can anyone here do me a massive favour and download it in a small size and PM me a dropbox link to it or something?

The reason is that I work offshore and our internet is achingly slow. So to keep it ok for everyone my company blocks access to youtube, iTunes and the rest.

I know it's a lot to ask for someone none of you know personally, but there are a bunch of star wars geeks on here who would be very grateful if you took a few minutes for this. I'll see if I can get you some free petrol/gas if you do :D

Thanks,
Alex
PS sadly, I can't live up to my end of the bargain re the petrol. I lied about that :)

So no-one wants to help a brutha out?

Hirakata

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Burbank, CA
I was hoping for more changes, to the ships and stuff. Think about how many changes there were to the various ships between the Clone Wars and A New Hope, and that was only 25 years or so. This is 40 years after ROTJ. I think there should be more technological advancement.

While I understand what you're saying, the space shuttle didn't really change much physically between 1976 and 2011.

Hirakata

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Burbank, CA
If people realized how old our aircraft and even carriers actually are, they'd...

probably wonder where all their taxes have been going.

Ain't that the truth. But, while the carriers and aircraft are physically old, their innards do have modern tech (like the aforementioned space shuttle.)

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
The voiceover seemed a bit cheesy to me. Maybe should have gotten Clive Revill (original voice of the Emperor) or Ian McDiarmid (Chancellor Palpatine).

And yeah, some of the things like the rolly-ball droid and "sword saber" seemed like "yeah, we did that because we can, it should look bad ass!" more than thinking up things that would organically exist in that world. Which is what the crappier Star Wars movies did, so that's a red flag for me.

I mean don't get me wrong, I will definitely go see it, in IMAX, but I wasn't blown away by this teaser.

I just wonder how they will turn that Rolling Ball R# AstroMech Droid into a viable action figure. Won't it fall apart or fall over all the time?

It's also amazing how timeless that StarWars anthemic Theme music by John Williams is. It never gets old. It's a thrill every single time you see it with the iconic Star Wars lettering at the start of a new movie in the theatre. It puts a smile on your face every time.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
This reminds me of the Tron prof of concept teaser. Probably much of this will end up on the cutting floor.

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
Abrams/BadRobot are Avid users last I knew (99% sure Star Trek was cut on Avid - I am not 100% sure of anything ;).

Are you kidding me! Why isn't this on the Front Page! :confused:

I heard a rumor that J. J. Abrams is using Final Cut Pro to shoot Star Wars! Ok, I didn't hear that but Abrams was one of the Keynote Lunchtime speakers at Apple's World Wide Developers Conference (WWDC).

J. J. Abrams at Apple's WWDC 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaKYoxTAFrU

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Thanks chirpie! But I have now discovered that my company also blocks dropbox access, probably for the reason of downloading movies and music from forumites :)

I really appreciate your help though. Guess I'll have to wait it out.

Alex

We're not sunk yet. Check your PM. :)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
That was 90 seconds of footage. That's not a teaser, that's a trailer. We saw at least 1% of the entire movie right there - teasers are normally closer to 0.3%.

Furthermore, that was so completely uninteresting. That looked like it had the potential to be worse than the prequels, as if they weren't bad enough.

I'll never understand how anyone could be interested in such a stupid universe where the "best" warriors choose to bring swords to gun fights (given how swiftly hundreds of jedi are killed by storm troopers in Episode 3 and how few storm troopers are put down, it seems to me that the title of jedi is highly overrated). Anyone who's interested in a scientific universe that isn't retarded, all 7 seasons of Star Trek Next Generation is all available on Netflix (and other streaming services.) You could probably choose the worst 9 hours of footage from that show and every hour would be better than the best hour of Star Wars.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
That was 90 seconds of footage. That's not a teaser, that's a trailer. We saw at least 1% of the entire movie right there - teasers are normally closer to 0.3%.

Furthermore, that was so completely uninteresting. That looked like it had the potential to be worse than the prequels, as if they weren't bad enough.

I'll never understand how anyone could be interested in such a stupid universe where the "best" warriors choose to bring swords to gun fights (given how swiftly hundreds of jedi are killed by storm troopers in Episode 3 and how few storm troopers are put down, it seems to me that the title of jedi is highly overrated). Anyone who's interested in a scientific universe that isn't retarded, all 7 seasons of Star Trek Next Generation is all available on Netflix (and other streaming services.) You could probably choose the worst 9 hours of footage from that show and every hour would be better than the best hour of Star Wars.

Blankets don't come much wetter than this.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Looks good to me. Judging from the trailer it has an original trilogy vibe. No coughing robots. Let's hope JJ doesn't pull a Jar-Jar. ;)

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
Looks like JJ Abrams does what he does best, butchers another franchise.

JJ Abrams might be a big Star Wars fan but this did not feel like Star Wars. What's with that lightsaber? What's with rolling R2-D2? The voice over was a little off and the type for "The Force Awakens" did not match.

This was nothing more than a throwback to those who cling onto their Star Wars nostalgia from their childhood. That is, showing Stormtroopers, Tie Fighters, and the Millennium Falcon.

Personally, I'll take the prequel trilogy over this any day.

MacTCE

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2013
Raleigh NC
Well that was an extremely disappointing trailer. I will still be first in line on opening night for this next year. :D

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
I absolutely HATE this black screen pauses trend in trailers.

"50% less trailer expense at the same length of trailer!!"

Even trailers not claiming "teaser" status are doing it. It's clearly a fad. I hate fads. Like flat GUI design lacking control surface indicators...

Shunnabunich

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2005
Ontario, Canada
That was 90 seconds of footage. […] We saw at least 1% of the entire movie right there

Edit:Today I Learned: I suck at math.

You could probably choose the worst 9 hours of footage from [TNG] and every hour would be better than the best hour of Star Wars.

As a dyed-in-the-wool Trekkie who grew up on Next Gen and for whom its bridge crew feels almost like a second family: HAHAAAAAAHAHAHAHA yeah no.

(All that said, I don't mean to start an argument with you, it was just that those two things stuck out to me. I have no problem with people liking or not liking Star Wars and/or this teaser.)

Last edited:

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Blankets don't come much wetter than this.

Don't worry, he used the phrase "scientific universe" and "Star Trek" in the same sentence. Instant loss of critical reasoning credibility.

Star Wars is fantasy in a space setting. Trek is too. Enjoy it or don't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.