Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mixedup

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Well I switched to my 6 tonight. Screen is tiny. Can't wait to go back to the 6+. Willing to deal with the portability issues! This thing feels like a 5/5S!!!

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Haha, someone clearly hasn't understood my original post!! Lol. The point I was making is that in my opinion you shouldn't have to change habits to accomodate an oversized phone. I buy the jeans I buy because I like them, i'm not about to buy bigger jeans that dont fit me as well to get my phone in!!!!!

I did not change clothing or habits. Ever thing you might be in the minority? Bet more people haven't than have.

There also might be a vision issue for some folks. The 5s was my first from Apple and I had to return it just like the 6. Bet they rather change a habit regardless instead of headaches.

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
A major trade-off no doubt. My iPhone 5 doesn't give me any problems with size, but it's utility is probably much less than a Plus (can't be sure about this though)

But we all knew this was going to happen. All the returns are expected as no one can blame you for changing your mind, and in this 'very particular' case, changing your mind more than once is probably normal.

I say "In this particular case", as some of the waffling in these forums is beyond belief.

note: I haven't received mine yet, but when I saw one in the Apple store I knew I was going to get one. I also knew that I wasn't sure what it would be like in everyday use. Apple has made this thing, and can't expect any of us to know WTF we are doing. I even owned a huge Samsung Note and I still don't know as I returned that because it was Android and NOT because of the size ( size wasn't really a problem, most of the time that is)

Actually, i'm posting this as i'm just a confused as any of you :D

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Well I switched to my 6 tonight. Screen is tiny. Can't wait to go back to the 6+. Willing to deal with the portability issues! This thing feels like a 5/5S!!!

I've been using them both side by side for a few days. Every time I hold the 6, I just love the ergonomics. I'm probably going to go 6/iPad route vs. just the 6+ (which was my original plan).

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
They need to rent these phones now. That way it will be normal to switch back and forth 10 times :D

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I went trough the exact same thing. Returned the plus and got 6, even though i loved the plus but i am much happier with the 6 now. Also, i wish apple made plus a tad smaller. My buddy has the note 4 and ergonomically it is vastly superior to the plus while having a bigger screen.

Note 4 is defitnetly not more ergonomic, it is heavier, wider, thicker, and doesnt have tapered exges, it is much more cumbersome then the 6 Plus

primolabo

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2014
I think apple watch will be quite a solution for people who find pluses a bit too big on the go. I am in love with my + and I definitely use my macbook less since I have it. I won't give it back. but there are moments I wish I had this watch just to have a look for notifications.

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
I did not change clothing or habits. Ever thing you might be in the minority? Bet more people haven't than have.

There also might be a vision issue for some folks. The 5s was my first from Apple and I had to return it just like the 6. Bet they rather change a habit regardless instead of headaches.

I'm not saying you have, I'm saying that you suggested I look for trousers with bigger pockets, when my original point was that I don't want to change my habits to accomodate the phone.

As for the vision, I've got no idea, may be right

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I think apple watch will be quite a solution for people who find pluses a bit too big on the go. I am in love with my + and I definitely use my macbook less since I have it. I won't give it back. but there are moments I wish I had this watch just to have a look for notifications.

I think it can go either way. Get the :apple:Watch and the standard 6 because you'll interact with the watch more so why deal with the extra bulk in the pocket? Or get the :apple:Watch and the 6+ because you'll interact with the watch more so you don't have to worry about taking it out as much and can use the bigger screen as needed.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
I just switched to the 6 from the 6+. I liked the 6+ a lot but I'm liking the portability of the 6 better. Thin, light, with a bigger screen than 5S. Very happy with it. The only thing I think I'll miss is the extra battery life.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
I just switched to the 6 from the 6+. I liked the 6+ a lot but I'm liking the portability of the 6 better. Thin, light, with a bigger screen than 5S. Very happy with it. The only thing I think I'll miss is the extra battery life.

well i am still at the edge whether to keep my 6+ or do the 6 route. in all honesty that's the problem with having so many choices. unlike when they released the 5S, there's only 1 model and all you got to do is to pick how much memory you need. now we have the 6 which is so much convenient to carry all day long and the 6+ which has an amazing real estate and battery life. so many choices. this is my first big phone and at times i am overwhelmed by it's size but when i see how nice the screen is, i am thrilled. i only have until today to decide and probably what will help me sway in the 6+ direction is, this is an unlocked iphone 6+. tough decision to make (ha ha ha).

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I think the 6 plus is not for everyone. I personally love it. The size doesn't bother me as I've been using phones with screens of 5 inches and above (including 2 notes) over the past 2.5 years. I think for someone who is coming from the 5S or before it will take a while to adjust.

It's great that you can take advantage of the returns and exchange policy to get the device that's right for you.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I switched from a 6 Plus to a 6 this week. It feels so much better to hold and when I held the 6 Plus again before sending it on its way it just felt massive and uncomfortable. It's all about what you get used to, and I just could not get used to carrying around a phone that large each day. The biggest reason I'm loving the 6 is how light it is compared to the Plus. Hopefully Apple cuts down the bezel on the 7 Plus. When I compared the 6 Plus to the 6 the bezels were even bigger. It's like they had literally just scaled the 6 up to be bigger without cutting out anything unnecessary. i never thought I would give the Plus up because I waited so long for it but it just wasn't the right thing. I'm glad I made the change.

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Battery life

I first purchased the IP6 in Sept. Sold it a month later and have an unlocked
6 Plus Verizon version 128 gb. Running this on ATT and its perfect. I had both phones and I can say the following for sure:

1 - Screen is much better on the Six Plus
2 - Camera takes better pictures
3 - To me the most important and really not mentioned is the Plus's battery life. It is absolutely incredible. I have already gone 3 days without a charge.
Blows away the Iphone 6 and the best battery life I have ever seen in a smart phone.

The above is with hands on experience of at least 30 days with each device.

CC

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
CC

I am skeptical about this. The only difference between a 6+ and a 6 camera is optical image stabilization (OIS).

Being an avid photographer, I owned and used many really expensive Canon lenses, some with optical image stabilization, others without.

It's a know fact that the wider the lenses, the less beneficial OIS is. Canon don't even make wide angle lenses with OIS because of cost/benefit ratio is so low. I think the 6+ camera is 28mm which is pretty wide.

I can't imagine OIS being that beneficial for still shot at 28mm.

On the other hand, video is another story. I wonder if OIS would help smooth out camera shake here.

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
I have owned my iPhone 6 Plus since September. I absolutely LOVE it. I would never go back to a 4" iPhone or even consider a 4.7" iPhone.

thalazy

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2012
In a van down by the river.
No regrets on size

My only disappointment was going with the 64gb 6+. If the Apple store near me gets a 128gb model in stock I will exchange mine for one of those. Both are great phones but I like the size and battery life of the 6+.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
I have had the 6+ since release day, but lately I'm beginning to get annoyed with its size. I have it in my purse but there are times that I don't carry my purse with me. Normally I would put the phone in my pocket, but the 6+ doesn't fit in there.

I've been playing with my daughter's 6 lately but she refuses to trade. I'm not sure if I want to sell the 6+. I'm have a feeling I'd regret it. I just want both. :p

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I first purchased the IP6 in Sept. Sold it a month later and have an unlocked
6 Plus Verizon version 128 gb. Running this on ATT and its perfect. I had both phones and I can say the following for sure:

1 - Screen is much better on the Six Plus
3 - To me the most important and really not mentioned is the Plus's battery life. It is absolutely incredible. I have already gone 3 days without a charge.
Blows away the Iphone 6 and the best battery life I have ever seen in a smart phone.

The above is with hands on experience of at least 30 days with each device.

CC

Three days without a charge? That's minimal use even on a 6+.

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
charge

Three days without a charge? That's minimal use even on a 6+.

This is for business use, no gaming. Primarily text messages, phone calling, constant push of Outlook corporate account and Gmail account. Streaming of Sirius radio. No video streaming except for a few short You Tube streams. Constant Bluetooth hookup to my car when traveling.

Screen on time was over 10 hrs.

CC

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
I'm somewhat in the other camp here. I have a launch day 6 and I've been contemplating a 6 plus lately. Every time I go into an Apple store and play around with it, it doesn't feel that big to me. I was in an AT&T store the other day and the salesperson had me use her 6 plus to handle a service issue and, I don't know...... it's growing on me.

I don't know if its just a temporary thrill or if long term I would regret it. I don't have an upgrade so I would have to buy it. I really like it though.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Low and behold after a week I decided to keep my 6+ and return the 6. I didn't want to leave the screen and especially not the battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.