Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enthusiastic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2013
Hi!

My parents' iPad 3 has developed a weird problem overnight. I have attached a picture which says it all. I don't know how to describe the problem but I think it is kind of overlapping screens from previously opened app or something. Also, the top bar has colors that are off.

The funny thing is when you take the screenshot, it is perfect. But the screen has all sorts of problems, hence I had them take a photo.

I had them reset the iPad to factory settings and the problem persists. There is no Apple Store where they live and they would have to mail me the iPad overseas if I have to show it to Apple Store geniuses. Do you think it is worth it? What could be the problem?

Attachments

• 013e1efe6e28563fa90f33734d90d784e8237c3cbd.jpg
    013e1efe6e28563fa90f33734d90d784e8237c3cbd.jpg
    610.1 KB · Views: 903
  • 014d6eede457d51d67b92cd8149fed8ceca4131e25.jpg
    014d6eede457d51d67b92cd8149fed8ceca4131e25.jpg
    884.1 KB · Views: 462

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
Do you restore and set it up as a new iPad? Otherwise something may be restored from the old backup.

This likely hardware related (since a clean restore didn't fix it), so when you take a screenshot it will not show the issue. Personally I think it has issues refreshing the screen. I can see the settings screen underneath.

A broken screen if you drop an iPad is around $200 US so I imagine this will be similar in price. Aside from a a restore (and set up as new) there is little else you can do. You can try to fix image burn in by leaving an all white screen for a long time (about an hour). There are some youtube videos that claim the video fixes the issue.

Hard to say whether a repair or a refurbished model is better. Apple does have a trade-in credit but I don't know how much you would get for it.

enthusiastic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2013
Do you restore and set it up as a new iPad? Otherwise something may be restored from the old backup.

This likely hardware related (since a clean restore didn't fix it), so when you take a screenshot it will not show the issue. Personally I think it has issues refreshing the screen. I can see the settings screen underneath.

A broken screen if you drop an iPad is around $200 US so I imagine this will be similar in price. Aside from a a restore (and set up as new) there is little else you can do. You can try to fix image burn in by leaving an all white screen for a long time (about an hour). There are some youtube videos that claim the video fixes the issue.

Hard to say whether a repair or a refurbished model is better. Apple does have a trade-in credit but I don't know how much you would get for it.

Yes, I had them set it up as new.

Thanks for your reply. I did some more searching and found that this image retention problem(didn't know this was the term) is much more common than I thought.

enthusiastic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2013
Image Retention

I asked Apple how much this would cost and they said it would be around $300. So I figured it isn't worth it and sent it to Amazon for a trade-in. They didn't accept it and it is on its way back to me now.

Selling it on eBay for parts, using it as is or getting it fixed by a third party are my options as I see it right now. Any better suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.