Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Meister

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
In April I dropped my iPad mini and the screen was shattered. I took it to a third party repair and they put a new screen in for 100€. The home button never worked properly after that and soon white spots and rainbow liquid started to show. In august the screen stopped working properly and dead pixels started to appear. Using my beloved mini became painful.
So I took it to the:apple:store and they offered to replace the iPad with a new one for 190€.

This is why I like :apple: :)

And this is why I pay for quality (service) ;)

eww7633

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2008
In April I dropped my iPad mini and the screen was shattered. I took it to a third party repair and they put a new screen in for 100€. The home button never worked properly after that and soon white spots and rainbow liquid started to show. In august the screen stopped working properly and dead pixels started to appear. Using my beloved mini became painful.
So I took it to the:apple:store and they offered to replace the iPad with a new one for 190€.

This is why I like :apple: :)

And this is why I pay for quality (service) ;)

I'm glad to hear that you had a positive experience. That said, you got extremely lucky. Apple has a policy to refuse service on any device that has had unauthorized medications, like a 3rd party screen repair. I don't know if they didn't notice the screen (unlikely), or they just decided to break protocol and help you.

Meister

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
I'm glad to hear that you had a positive experience. That said, you got extremely lucky. Apple has a policy to refuse service on any device that has had unauthorized medications, like a 3rd party screen repair. I don't know if they didn't notice the screen (unlikely), or they just decided to break protocol and help you.
From what I could gather :apple: takes out the inner parts, puts a battery and outer shell on it and then sells it as refurbished. That and my payment is not a a bad deal for :apple: either. I am also an extremely good customer and have bought many macs and iOS devices from them. From my experience :apple: charges premium prices, but is a company that takes good care of their customers.
It is the only company that I actually like giving money to.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Please don't get the wrong impression about 3rd party repair places just on that one shop. Repair places are hardly one and the same. I've seen some that literally get by using the absolute cheapest parts they can, usually getting screens that failed the QC or have been refurbished at bottom-dollar prices. A far cry from the near-OEM quality many independent repair places strive to stock.

That being said I'm glad you got the problem worked out and that Apple was willing to work with you on it.

sebseb

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2014
Sometimes they do go out of their guide line to make a customer happy. They don't do it to everyone but it's some way of advertising. See? He is happy right now and he will tell everyone his experience and that will get more customers for apple! So win win!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.