Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I got use to the large size of the 6 plus and I have small/medium hand size.

I took my plus to the la auto show last week. Took pics, surfed, and played games here and there. And message people of course. I had 71% in 4 hrs of usage. My dads 6 had 7% when we left the convention center. Big difference. I don't take my battery pack anymore for day trips with moderate use.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
there is no easy answer to OP's question. it's a personal preference. what's good for others may not be good for you. you only need to ask yourself what's best for you - battery life or one handed usage ?

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
there is no easy answer to OP's question. it's a personal preference. what's good for others may not be good for you. you only need to ask yourself what's best for you - battery life or one handed usage ?
Pretty much. Everyone is on this board is going to say the 6 Plus. So if he is going to go by what everyone on this board has or is recommending from what this thread has presented so far (iPhone 6 Plus) then get the 6 Plus.

I have the iPhone 6 and I'm happy. No regrets.

10 months from now I'm sure you'll be asking the same exact question if you get the iPhone every year.

Just get what works for you.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I am about to buy a new iPhone, and I am in doubt which one should I buy.

I currently use an iPhone 5.

I use it for checking and answering e-mails, web surfing, reading documents, exchanging messages, listening to music, playing games, reading books, and so on. Heavy usage. And I like to use it one-handed.

As I use it a lot during the day, I keep it on a Mophie Juice Pack Plus, and I make serious use of it. I need the extra battery to get my iPhone 5 through the day, and I usually charge it as well.

So, here is my doubt. Should I buy the iPhone 6 or the 6 Plus?

I like the iPhone 6 better, because I can use it with just one hand. Very comfortable to use indeed. However, the screen of the iPhone 6 Plus is great, and battery life is supposed to be much better.

I would buy the iPhone 6 for its size, but will the battery be enough? Will I need a Mophie case, and will that make the iPhone 6 the size of a 6 Plus but without the extra screen? I would prefer the smaller screen as it would be more comfortable to handle. I once had a Galaxy S4 and I hated it, as it was very uncomfortable to handle and to use.

What do you suggest?
One hand and comfortable to handle? Definitely go for the iPhone 6

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
My wife had an S4, and me an S5. She changed to an iPhone 6. I played on it for a couple of weeks. I bought an iPhone 6 plus. My wife loves her iphone 6 and me my 6+. The battery life of 6+ is unbeatable. I can go 2 days without charging. I enjoy the bigger screen, but because it is light, the size is not an issue.

How does the battery life on your wife's 6 compare to yours 6 Plus?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I use a 6 and pretty much always have a mini in my car. I don't mind the separate devices. It stinks you cannot try them out before you buy them. You will know pretty fast if the 6+ will work for you.

If you can deal with the size of the 6+, there is no question it is the better buy. The problem is if you cannot deal with the size it will frustrate the hell out of you.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
One hand and comfortable to handle? Definitely go for the iPhone 6

That's what I would do. I am concerned with battery life, though. I don't want to have to attach the iPhone 6 to a Mophie case that makes it the same size of the iPhone 6 Plus (in which case it would be better to get the 6 Plus instead).

zosokm

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
I was apprehensive about the iphone 6 plus given its size, but after playing with in the apple store, fell in love with it and got the gold 64GB version and sold off my iphone 5. No regrets at all . The phone is fantastic. I don't have any problem making calls, the only time the size is a bit of a problem is when I drive, I cannot keep it in my pants and I don't have an ideal place to put it in the dashboard . The huge bump in battery life is worth it and the bump up in screen size means I don't use my iPad mini at all.

I personally felt that the iphone 6 was not a big upgrade to the iphone 5s , but the 6 plus felt like a new category altogether ..

And not it doesn't bend... although I would never ever place a 1000$ phone(thats what it costs in India) in my back pocket and sit on it!

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
There's no wrong answer to this question.

Both are great flagship devices. This isn't like "Should I get the 5s or the 5c?" The obvious answer was the 5s.

With these phones they both look exactly alike. They both have the same processor and they both have pros above the other one.

I was #1 in line on launch day so I had my choice between the 6 or 6+. I chose the 6 only because of usability and the more ease of carrying it around. The 6 does everything just as well and in some cases better than the plus.

However, the 6+ is a beast of a device as well. With it's battery life, 1080p screen (which is the best LCD SMARTPHONE screen on the market) and OIS. The only thing about it is the processor. I believe Apple would have been better served using the A8X in the 6plus, but that's just opinion. However you can notice a bit more lag in the 6+ then the 6.

OP no matter which one you decide on you will not regret it.

ot73nl

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
When the new iPhones came out, I was thinking Plus is way to big. That is why I bought the regular 6. It is a great phone but after a couple of days I could not use it anymore because of a strange reason: pain in my eyes after max. 10 min. of reading from the screen. The text was not sharp enough for my eyes, I think...

I have a very good sight, never had such a problems with a i5 screen and I am absolutely not an OCD person!

Anyway, I was out of exchange window already so I exchanged my iPhone with another person's 6 plus. It felt very big for the first week, but now I love the phone and especially the screen.

Also I can use it one handed easy if it placed in an apple case. But that probably because I am a pianist.

I think that the lower screen resolution of a regular 6 is something to think about before making a choice.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
That's what I would do. I am concerned with battery life, though. I don't want to have to attach the iPhone 6 to a Mophie case that makes it the same size of the iPhone 6 Plus (in which case it would be better to get the 6 Plus instead).

That's very subjective and depends on your usage and the zone where you're going to use it. Battery life is strictly related also to the signal strength.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
The responses are a bit bizarre. Some of them went like this:

OP: I don't want the station wagon. I just want the extra large gas tank that comes with it. Should I get a station wagon or an external gas carrier?

Reply1: You should get the station wagon. The extra size great.
Reply2: Yeah, I put everything I owned in the station wagon for a camping trip.
Reply3: You get used to the station wagon after a few days.
Reply4: Just add an extension to your garage. You can move everything you own into the station wagon and rent out the main house.

Of course I am exaggerating. But it seems people who bought a 6+ and love it really love it. I think it's great for them. I had to chose between the 6 and 6+ a few weeks ago. I do a lot of reading in bed, on my couch, etc. Some time I use my iPad Air, but quite often on my phone. One handed use is very important to me. A 6+ is a compromise the same as the Air and the 6, each in a different way. The biggest compromise with the 6+ for me is carrying it around in my pocket especially when sitting down. I am not about to change my life style to accommodate a modern abacus.

In OP case however the 6+ may make a lot of sense for the extra battery capacity. Any battery case will make a 6 thicker and wider and heavier, without the benefit of a 6+ screen. So OP is going to end up with a station wagon sized car regardless. May as well get the station wagon where all the bits are integrated.

Thekarens

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2014
Decide which is more important, one hand usage or battery life. There's no way you can easily one hand the 6 plus. On the other hand the battery life is exemplary on the plus, which is why I got it.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I use a 6 and pretty much always have a mini in my car. I don't mind the separate devices. It stinks you cannot try them out before you buy them. You will know pretty fast if the 6+ will work for you.

If you can deal with the size of the 6+, there is no question it is the better buy. The problem is if you cannot deal with the size it will frustrate the hell out of you.

The RAM on the 6 is too little but the GPU or RAM, possibly both, is definitely insufficient on the 6+. The constant scaling creates lag and it's just not up to the task. Apple got the 6+ wrong and yes the OIS and better battery life is nice, but that phone is going to die a death when iOS9 is released. I wouldn't touch the 6+ with a bargepole.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
For some context on the 6 Plus's battery life, I used to use about 160% of my iPhone 5's battery in a day (obviously includes recharging part of the way through the day). Now, I rarely use more than 70%. Obviously the battery of my 5 probably degraded slightly over time, but wow, the battery life on the 6 Plus is really great.

Thekarens

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2014
The RAM on the 6 is too little but the GPU or RAM, possibly both, is definitely insufficient on the 6+. The constant scaling creates lag and it's just not up to the task. Apple got the 6+ wrong and yes the OIS and better battery life is nice, but that phone is going to die a death when iOS9 is released. I wouldn't touch the 6+ with a bargepole.

I haven't had any lag and I'd say I'd say there's not a heavier user than I am between surfing, gaming, videos and music. I have no doubt this phone will last 2 years, which is the most any cell phone lasts.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I once had a Galaxy S4 and I hated it, as it was very uncomfortable to handle and to use.

What do you suggest?

If the S4 was too big for you, the iPhone 6+ would be gigantic. Just get the 6, its battery would be similar or slightly better.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
The responses are a bit bizarre. Some of them went like this:

OP: I don't want the station wagon. I just want the extra large gas tank that comes with it. Should I get a station wagon or an external gas carrier?

Reply1: You should get the station wagon. The extra size great.
Reply2: Yeah, I put everything I owned in the station wagon for a camping trip.
Reply3: You get used to the station wagon after a few days.
Reply4: Just add an extension to your garage. You can move everything you own into the station wagon and rent out the main house.

Of course I am exaggerating. But it seems people who bought a 6+ and love it really love it. I think it's great for them. I had to chose between the 6 and 6+ a few weeks ago. I do a lot of reading in bed, on my couch, etc. Some time I use my iPad Air, but quite often on my phone. One handed use is very important to me. A 6+ is a compromise the same as the Air and the 6, each in a different way. The biggest compromise with the 6+ for me is carrying it around in my pocket especially when sitting down. I am not about to change my life style to accommodate a modern abacus.

In OP case however the 6+ may make a lot of sense for the extra battery capacity. Any battery case will make a 6 thicker and wider and heavier, without the benefit of a 6+ screen. So OP is going to end up with a station wagon sized car regardless. May as well get the station wagon where all the bits are integrated.

Exactly. I don't want the station wagon, which I find cumbersome and difficult to drive, just the gas tank that comes with it.

----------

Does the 6 Plus lag?

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I took a long time to decide between the 6 and the 6 Plus. I was upgrading from a 5S. Rather than buy and return, I made quite a few trips to the Apple stores in my area to try them out. After my first trip I was sure I wanted a 6--mainly because I could use is just like my 5s. But after a few more visits, I really started to like the Plus. Personally, I make very few calls from my iPhone. Almost all the time is using it to glance at email, read the occasional book, and spend time on Safari. When I travel it's my iPod too.

The biggest thing I gave up was quick one-handed typing. I can read, play around on Safari, check email easily with one-hand, but, at least for me, typing went back to two.

For me, once I got past the attempts to use it exactly like my 3,4 and 5S that I had before, I really started to like it! And no kidding, the screen is beautiful!

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
I've switched like 6 times... It's a tough choice. I love the 6 for the ease of use but miss the battery of the 6 plus. I like the larger screen of the plus when I'm home or sitting around but like the compact size when I'm on the go. Definitely hard to try to operate one handed. It's a toss up and I still have a hard time deciding.

Talk about the take it back plan. Lol. I bet you abuse the costco return policy. Lol. Just kidding. The choice isn't the end of the world. Buy one that makes you happy. It probably wont be your last iPhone. You can always sell or wait till the next model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.