Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
Random question but my wife said I could get one or the other as a Christmas gift and I am torn to which to get. I currently have a 42" led tv in the living room that is 4 years old. I also have a 2009 white macbook but both are showing their age. Which would benefit you in more ways than not and which would you choose? I'd like some input.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Random question but my wife said I could get one or the other as a Christmas gift and I am torn to which to get. I currently have a 42" led tv in the living room that is 4 years old. I also have a 2009 white macbook but both are showing their age. Which would benefit you in more ways than not and which would you choose? I'd like some input.

Go with the TV. The MBA is due for a refresh.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I hear that the switch to 4k will be coming within the coming year.

Does anything other then blu ray even hit 1080p? iTunes does not.

So you are basically getting a tv that you can watch maybe 5 different shows on netflix if you have a strong enough connection.

I really want a 4k tv because I just want one. The tech isn't there and won't be there for another 2-3 years. The prices are getting reasonable at 1,500 instead of 3k+ but still none of the new systems support 4k. Xbox One doesn't even hit 1080p. I say lets hit 1080p first then bs people that we will be getting 4k content any time soon. Maybe major sports events but then again cable at least Comcast in my area doesn't even offer that yet. 4k will also be really expensive all these cable companies still charge a HD fee !!! Wasn't going digital mandatory !!! WHY am I being charged a HD fee when most TVs are HD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.