Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
In a world dominated by an absurd obsession with the trivial, and with the celebration of the merest whisper of the merest activity of such witless people - here is a story worth acknowledging.

Today was announced (and yesterday occurred) the death of an individual - Mikhail Kalashnikov (aged 94) - who had a genuinely transformational effect (yes, the exact extent of that remains debatable) world wide, with his invention, and design, and creation of the rifle which bears his name, the AK-47.

Last edited:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I heard about this earlier today. I was surprised to hear that he wasn't already dead.

This will be heading to PRSI before long.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I wonder if Eugene Stoner will be going to his funeral.

He died in 1997.

Though they have met before.

M16_ak47_creators.jpg

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Having been wounded by his invention, having used it, he influenced many a battle around the world.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Is there any reason why you're bumping all these threads? :rolleyes:

Well, some of the older hands have been known to refer newcomers to old threads as a way of discouraging them from starting new ones on a given topic.

If a poster wishes to post on something that is already being discussed elsewhere, why on earth not resurrect an older thread?

Though I will confess to some surprise at some of the resurrections of say, eight year old, and other threads of similar antiquity.

New to the forum, there are some interesting posts and I like responding in a positive manner if I can.

Fair enough.

You mentioned that you had been wounded by this invention, and that you have used it; I have to assume therefore, that you may well have served in the armed forces. In any case, this makes any observations you might choose to make on the weapon (and its late inventor) of even greater relevance.

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Well, some of the older hands have been known to refer newcomers to old threads as a way of discouraging them from starting new ones on a given topic.

If a poster wishes to post on something that is already being discussed elsewhere, why on earth not resurrect an older thread?

Though I will confess to some surprise at some of the resurrections of say, eight year old, and other threads of similar antiquity.

Fair enough.

You mentioned that you had been wounded by this invention, and that you have used it; I have to assume therefore, that you may well have served in the armed forces. In any case, this makes any observations you might choose to make on the weapon (and its late inventor) of even greater relevance.

Retired from Special Ops and the United Nations.

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
These, I assume, were different missions. Where did you serve, and when, if you don't mind me asking?

I ask, not out of idle curiosity, but because I have worked abroad quite a bit myself in recent times.

When I was in Africa, was in Somalia, Rwanda, Liberia, Angola, Sierra Leone for long-term missions and a number of other short-terms missions in Kenya, Tanzania, Ethiopia, South Africa for the UN.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia

Maybe my etiquette in bumping old and long dead threads where discussion has naturally come to a close wasn't subtle enough?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
When I was in Africa, was in Somalia, Rwanda, Liberia, Angola, Sierra Leone for long-term missions and a number of other short-terms missions in Kenya, Tanzania, Ethiopia, South Africa for the UN.

Fascinating. Were these election related missions, or military monitoring missions?

Maybe my etiquette in bumping old and long dead threads where discussion has naturally come to a close wasn't subtle enough?

And the point you are trying to make is what, exactly?

At the risk of repeating myself, when a newbie or recently joined member starts a thread on something which may have arisen before, or been discussed before, they are often berated and reprimanded and invited to trawl the search function and use/resurrect old threads rather than starting a new one.

Re discussions coming to a natural end, sometimes, someone has something valuable or interesting to add, especially if they have joined the forum recently and have not had an opportunity to post in the thread when it was in its initial incarnation and 'live', so to speak.

However, I will add that on a thread which was started with the intention of discussing the death of Mr Khalashnikov (and another started with the intention of discussing the death of Mr Mandela), that anyone who posts stating that they had used or been wounded by, the weapon invented by the former, or had the privilege and honour of meeting the latter has made what seems to me to have been a very relevant additional post.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Old threads are like Zombies they never truly die.:p

Well, some are reincarnated; others get killed off, and some linger forever. Some pop their clogs naturally, while others expire quietly, hardly noticed.

However, the ones that return to life after eight or ten years are an astounding feat of memory or optimism - I can't quite make my mind up as to which of these it is.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Is there any reason why you're bumping all these threads? :rolleyes:

Subtle or not, you do not have any right to question another poster right from posting on this forum.

If you think that the rules have been breached contract the moderators.

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Fascinating. Were these election related missions, or military monitoring missions?

And the point you are trying to make is what, exactly?

At the risk of repeating myself, when a newbie or recently joined member starts a thread on something which may have arisen before, or been discussed before, they are often berated and reprimanded and invited to trawl the search function and use/resurrect old threads rather than starting a new one.

Re discussions coming to a natural end, sometimes, someone has something valuable or interesting to add, especially if they have joined the forum recently and have not had an opportunity to post in the thread when it was in its initial incarnation and 'live', so to speak.

However, I will add that on a thread which was started with the intention of discussing the death of Mr Khalashnikov (and another started with the intention of discussing the death of Mr Mandela), that anyone who posts stating that they had used or been wounded by, the weapon invented by the former, or had the privilege and honour of meeting the latter has made what seems to me to have been a very relevant additional post.

Somalia was a Chapter 7, we had 28,000 military. Liberia was an election/military observer mission when I was there. Sierra Leone and Rwanda was observer missions.

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
The AK is flimsy as hell. I know it works in many conditions but it's still a cheap, stamped-metal gun. Big round, but lower MV than the M4.

I knew a warrant officer who owned a Pedersen Rifle. Damn rare and worth a fortune.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The AK is flimsy as hell. I know it works in many conditions but it's still a cheap, stamped-metal gun. Big round, but lower MV than the M4.

I knew a warrant officer who owned a Pedersen Rifle. Damn rare and worth a fortune.

My understanding is that the AK47 would not be regarded as a high maintenance weapon; it is rugged - and was designed to be rugged - and can work in trying conditions (desert, mountains, hail, sleet, snow, jungle) in the hands of those who may not have been trained to the highest of standards, and who may not have access to the best equipped repair shops.

In other words, as the old slogan long identified with Apple used to say 'It Just Works' and that is what it does. This is a weapon that is rugged in challenging and testing hostile environments, - both physical and military - is known to be very reliable, and is highly forgiving in the hands of those who use it. Besides, it is relatively affordable. With such advantages, can one wonder that it is the weapon of choice for insurgent groups, and indeed, for some regular troops as well?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.