Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

naomired

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
What is the best practice to ensure a longer life of MBA battery?
How much battery should be discharged before charging it again? Use till 20% and charge up to 100%, or should one discharge till 40% and recharge to 100%?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
How much battery should be discharged before charging it again? Use till 20% and charge up to 100%, or should one discharge till 40% and recharge to 100%?

Use it as you wish and plug in as little or as often as you like. The battery suffers no memory effect.

naomired

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
Is charging cycles still an important parameter? I have read somewhere that it does not matter how many times [cycles] the battery is recharged; what matters is that the charge should not go below a critical level. Is that the case?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Is charging cycles still an important parameter? I have read somewhere that it does not matter how many times [cycles] the battery is recharged; what matters is that the charge should not go below a critical level. Is that the case?

When the battery hits 0% there is still charge in the battery. It's designed that way to protect the battery. In all fairness running your battery to 0% isn't really advised on a regular basis.

Charge cycles are a mute point really. I'll assume you know how a cycle works. So if you run your battery flat or charge at 50% twice it's still equate to one cycle.

Seriously tho just enjoy your machine. If your home and using it then slap the charger in the side and if your on the move use the battery.

If your at home for long periods on the mains and I'm talking weeks then just remember to use the battery every few weeks. It doesn't have to be down to 0%

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012

If you want to maximize battery life, plug in the laptop whenever possible.

If you are running on battery power, that means you're putting wear on the battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.