Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Can anyone make sense of this?

Why do I need wifi to update?
Why do I need wifi to download a game over 100mb when I have LTE?
Why do I need wifi to back up?

What is this stupid restriction, I don't get it.

Am I the only one?:mad:

madamelulu

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2014
Some people do not have unlimited data plans so downloading over wifi is preferable to downloading over LTE in these cases.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Some people do not have unlimited data plans so downloading over wifi is preferable to downloading over LTE in these cases.

...but some people do have unlimited plans.

It'd be nice to at least have the option - maybe a warning 'Are you sure?' popup as opposed to just not being able at all.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The number of people that this would potentially negatively effect (eating a monthly allotment of data in one backup) outweighs the number that are inconvenienced by it.

An option, that is set to OFF for cellular data by default, would be nice. If people want to use their data plan to do an icloud backup or restore, more power to them. It just needs to be made crystal clear they are using their mobile data.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Simple, because in the era of lawsuits, Apple would get sued by people who used up all their data downloading updates.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
...but some people do have unlimited plans.

It'd be nice to at least have the option - maybe a warning 'Are you sure?' popup as opposed to just not being able at all.

Pretty sure a lot of it has to do with carrier pressure as well. Even if you have an unlimited plan (especially a grandfathered plan on AT&T or Verizon), carriers still probably want to try to push large updates off to Wifi for "network management." Note that the limit was even lower when the iPhone was an AT&T exclusive, even when back when they offered unlimited data for $20.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Pretty sure a lot of it has to do with carrier pressure as well. Even if you have an unlimited plan (especially a grandfathered plan on AT&T or Verizon), carriers still probably want to try to push large updates off to Wifi for "network management." Note that the limit was even lower when the iPhone was an AT&T exclusive, even when back when they offered unlimited data for $20.

Carrier pressure yet android gives the user this choice.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Carrier pressure yet android gives the user this choice.

Android vendors make plenty of other concessions in exchange. Check out that bloatware that AT&T and Verizon puts on any Android phone they sell. That bloatware translates to revenue streams that do directly in the carrier's pockets, and if that means other restrictions are loosened up, then each party sees it as good negotiation. All of them play the game in one form or another.

In this case it's simple common sense: Apple gains nothing from limiting their apps to 100MB over cellular. Carriers do.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Because people would try to do a 1-2gb ota update or try to update a bunch of 600-700mb aps over carrier data. And then cry that they used up all their data in one day or get stuck for hours with a spinning circle and a draining battery for hours. And then try to cancel out of it and complain.
They don't know any better so to protect users and have a normal user experience better connect to fast wifi when doing such tasks.
Imagine trying to update a 1.3gb navigation app and without really knowing most will click update.
Not every user is even close to advanced as most of us are here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.