Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CasablancaDR

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2014
Paris, France
I wanted to open a thread no to complain but to discuss specifically about the R9 m295x's drivers in Windows 7/8 via Bootcamp.

I've just received my RiMac. I've just installed Windows 8.1 to play some games in Steam. First reflex : uninstall the "Apple" driver of the R9 and install a dowloaded one directly from AMD.

It does uninstall well but it does not install the new one. Even the beta drivers from AMD. The process goes all the way till the end but clearly nothing happen and I'm forced to go back with Apple R9 driver if want to use my external monitor.

I've read all the graphics thread about the RiMac and I've seen that some of you have encountered this exact problem on their RiMac.

Anyone succeeded installing a better driver for the R9 m295x in Windows so far ?

Last edited:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Doesn't appear there are any newer drivers than the shipping drivers available for the RiMac, sadly. Be nice if there were!

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I wanted to open a thread no to complain but to discuss specifically about the R9 m295x's drivers in Windows 7/8 via Bootcamp.

I've just received my RiMac. I've just installed Windows 8.1 to play some games in Steam. First reflex : uninstall the "Apple" driver of the R9 and install a dowloaded one directly from AMD.

It does uninstall well but it does not install the new one. Even the beta drivers from AMD. The process goes all the way till the end but clearly nothing happen and I'm forced to go back with Apple R9 driver if want to use my external monitor.

I've read all the graphics thread about the RiMac and I've seen that some of you have encountered this exact problem on their RiMac.

Anyone succeeded installing a better driver for the R9 M295x in Windows so far ?

The R9 M295X is an Apple-only card that doesn't have any Windows drivers available for it yet.

Apple was the first vendor to ship the M295X.

Until other vendors ship the M295X with their systems, I don't think we'll see any Windows drivers for it.

CasablancaDR

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2014
Paris, France
Of course but... For example, I used to play with my Mac Pro / D500. The GPU is also here a special branch of an existing one made for Apple, right ? And I could use AMD Drivers to speed up things significantly using HD7800 drivers.

forg0t

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2014
I don't think the m295x drivers have been integrated in any of ATIs public releases yet. I just tried every possible way to install the newer drivers and nothing worked.

Also, it's weird that Windows "Device Manager" doesn't list device as an R9 200 series when you uninstall the driver like it does for the m290. Instead it just says "Standard VGA Device" or whatever. If you've already uninstalled your graphics card here's a driver I found from Apple's bootcamp files. It's all we can use for now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qw7tnb8897drkzv/ATIGraphics.zip?dl=0

The m290x, on the other hand, seems to work fine with the newer drivers from ATI. As long as you clean uninstall your old bootcamp ones.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Of course but... For example, I used to play with my Mac Pro / D500. The GPU is also here a special branch of an existing one made for Apple, right ? And I could use AMD Drivers to speed up things significantly using HD7800 drivers.

The D700 is completely identical to the W9000.

The D500 is a cross between the W8000 and W9000.

The D300 is a W7000 with half the VRAM.

http://architosh.com/2013/10/the-mac-pro-so-whats-a-d300-d500-and-d700-anyway-we-have-answers/

So since it was built on existing cards and architecture, existing drivers would work.

The M290X is based the existing Pitcairn architecture, so drivers currently available from AMD would work.

The M295X is a Tonga-based GPU and the Tonga architecture is still very new, so the drivers are probably not ready yet.

CasablancaDR

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2014
Paris, France
So since it was built on existing cards and architecture, existing drivers would work.

The M290X is based the existing Pitcairn architecture, so drivers currently available from AMD would work.

The M295X is a Tonga-based GPU and the Tonga architecture is still very new, so the drivers are probably not ready yet.

I'll guess we just have to wait then ! Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.