Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mais78

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
What is the best way to connect the Mini to a DVI monitor? Buy a mini displayport to DVI adapter and use the native DVI cable of the monitor, or just buy a new mini displayport to DVI cable?

Signal quality will suffer by going through two pieces (adapter and cable) vs one?

Thanks

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd opt for a single cable, because the signal will degrade. Will I notice the degradation, probably not, but I know its there. Since you have to buy something, get the cable.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
What is the best way to connect the Mini to a DVI monitor? Buy a mini displayport to DVI adapter and use the native DVI cable of the monitor, or just buy a new mini displayport to DVI cable?

Signal quality will suffer by going through two pieces (adapter and cable) vs one?

Thanks

i would say there is no difference between
using a display port to dvi cable
or using a display port to dvi adapter and using a dvi cable

its all digital

i would buy the amazon basics hdmi to dvi cable
unless your running like 4k or 2k?

with dvi u lose sound so u will need the optical spidif cable thingy

Mais78

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
thanks and would you reccommend the HDMI to DVI cable vs the mini displayport to DVI cable?

Didn't know that DVI loses audio, thought was the same as HDMI.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
dvi has no sound
hdmi = dvi + sound + copy protection + ethernet

i dunno too much about using hdmi vs mini display port when converting it to dvi

minidispay port has more bandwidth then hdmi
but are you going to be using 4k 3d screens

i like the hdmi the connection seems more sturdy then display port'

the headphone jack on a mac mini is actually an optical jack

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
If you plan on using only one monitor, I would get the HDMI to DVI cable, that way you keep your thunderbolt port free.

Mais78

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
Be careful about resolution here. HDMI on your Mini only support 1080 vertical res at 60hz. So if your monitor is more than that, you will not want to use HDMI.

Thanks, this is a good point, my monitor is a Dell U2412M 1920x1200. So the mini displayport to DVI cable is the only option?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks, this is a good point, my monitor is a Dell U2412M 1920x1200. So the mini displayport to DVI cable is the only option?

Looks like that monitor has Display Port input also, so you could get a MDP to DP cable and go that route. That's what I would do.

Mais78

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
Looks like that monitor has Display Port input also, so you could get a MDP to DP cable and go that route. That's what I would do.

Thanks, that will support any resolution?

The other options are a very expensive dual link cable or a mini displayport to DVI adapter (but I read the Apple one supports up to the res of my screen so if i upgrade it will not be good enough), or minidisplayport to DVI cable, right?

MDP to DP has advantages over MDP to DVI?

Thanks, this was very helpful, saved me money and time

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks, that will support any resolution?

The other options are a very expensive dual link cable or a mini displayport to DVI adapter (but I read the Apple one supports up to the res of my screen so if i upgrade it will not be good enough), or minidisplayport to DVI cable, right?

MDP to DP has advantages over MDP to DVI?

Thanks, this was very helpful, saved me money and time

Yes MDP to DP will support your res. Both MDP to DP or DVI will be a digital signal so image quality will be the same. My thinking is that MDP to DP is using the same format with no "conversion" so I think the cables will be cheaper... but either way is fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.