Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njaremka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 11, 2010
I recently had a mishap with my older MacBook Pro, and I had to get a newer model. Old MacBook had about 400+GB of data, mostly pictures, music, and movies. New model will only have 256GB SSD total drive space. As such, I want to migrate my iTunes and iPhoto libraries to network drives. However, I assume I have to perform a restore from my Time Machine backup before I can set up the network storage locations? What is the easiest way to get everything where I want it, and still be able to restore from my Time Machine back up?

Thanks!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
When you start up your new MacBook you will be asked it you want to import data. Say yes, and follow the prompts and point to your TM backup as the source.

You will get to a screen that shows your user account and a bunch of checkboxes where you select what you want to import. When you get to that screen select your user account and below that you can uncheck the big folders like Music and Photos so those don't get moved over.

After the migration and after you have restarted into your new MacBook, manually go back into the TM backup and restore those two folders to an external drive.

Reactions: eroyce

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
When you start up your new MacBook you will be asked it you want to import data. Say yes, and follow the prompts and point to your TM backup as the source.

You will get to a screen that shows your user account and a bunch of checkboxes where you select what you want to import. When you get to that screen select your user account and below that you can uncheck the big folders like Music and Photos so those don't get moved over.

After the migration and after you have restarted into your new MacBook, manually go back into the TM backup and restore those two folders to an external drive.
I have never done this, but now I know what I need to do if I ever have to.

Always a pleasure reading your well informed post, Weasel. :)

njaremka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 11, 2010

excellent! Thanks.

Mantrasia

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2016

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I have the same issue as OP since I'm trying to restore a TM backup from my old MacBook Pro onto a new MacBook Air where the HD is smaller- I followed the steps listed but after I choose the TM backup and choose the HD on the new MBA, it just gives me a warning message saying "not enough space on drive to restore" but no option to check/uncheck things to reduce the items being restored.

Any ideas on what might be going on different than above?

Thanks!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I have the same issue as OP since I'm trying to restore a TM backup from my old MacBook Pro onto a new MacBook Air where the HD is smaller- I followed the steps listed but after I choose the TM backup and choose the HD on the new MBA, it just gives me a warning message saying "not enough space on drive to restore" but no option to check/uncheck things to reduce the items being restored.

Any ideas on what might be going on different than above?

Thanks!
It sounds like you are trying to restore, which is different than using Migration Assistant. You need to use Migration Assistant to see the options I mentioned.

Reactions: powers74 and eroyce

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
diggin up this one again!

So I'm upgrading the HDD in my 2012, nee 2009 (did I do that backwards?) Mac Pro. I Got a 4TB drive. My current setup is a 1TB main drive with a 2TB ™ backup. I was wondering if I should make the 4TB my startup drive and make the 2TB if that's even possible. The other option is that I do have another 2TB HDD that I could make a RAID out of possibly, but I've never done that. Not sure if worth it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.