Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FelicityW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
NY->CA->AZ->MI->AZ
1. I received an excel file via email.
2. I opened it, worked on it extensively, saved it under another name.
3. I worked on it more, spanning several days.
4. It wasn't behaving 100% (scroll didn't work consistently), so I saved it as yet another name and closed it.
5. It is gone. No sign of it anywhere.
6. I am trying very hard not to freak out and have judiciously avoided using '!'s even if that is what I am thinking.
7. I think/hope where it saved it to is the key, because I did a 'Save As' and only paid attention to the file name.
Thoughts?

I am on a 2013 MBP with 16GB RAM.
I am running Yosemite 10.10.1
Excel 2011 14.6.6

I have checked downloads, Finder, Excel recent and beyond, My Files, Desktop, My Documents.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Did you use spotlight to try to find it within the Finder?

FelicityW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
NY->CA->AZ->MI->AZ
Happy Day

A link to a couple of forum-suggested posts led me to 'Find Any File' on the App Store. I thought about the price for about a minute, but I knew the file had to be there, so I bought the app. Sure enough, it found it. Well worth the cost.

----------

Did you use spotlight to try to find it within the Finder?

Yes. I find Spotlight to be pretty lame. This guy explains it well: http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/

----------

BTW, the file was located in Microsoft Office Auto Recovery folder. I don't know why that is a folder that other search functions do not look in.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
In Excel, open the file from the "Recently opened" menu. Hold down the command button and right click the header of the window, and select the folder the file is saved in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.