Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mm1250

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
Hello,

After I reboot my new MBP running Leopard. I tend to see folders in the Trash been called "Recovered Files". I'm not sure where these come from but I surely never copied them to the trash. Is this normal?

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Hello,

After I reboot my new MBP running Leopard. I tend to see folders in the Trash been called "Recovered Files". I'm not sure where these come from but I surely never copied them to the trash. Is this normal?

Yes it's normal. Basically it's temp files that were being used now being trashed.

-Kevin

Digi-Scrap

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
It is that simple? It isn't something like a hacker deleting my computer files? BTW: For notesake: The link above my post isn't working, I checked it out.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It is that simple? It isn't something like a hacker deleting my computer files? BTW: For notesake: The link above my post isn't working, I checked it out.
No, it has nothing to do with hacking. That link was posted 5 years ago. Here's a current one:

OS X Lion: If the Trash contains folders of recovered files
One or more Recovered Files folders may appear in your Trash after restarting your computer.

The recovered files are temporary files used by Mac OS X applications. Usually temporary files are deleted by an application when it no longer needs them. If an application quits unexpectedly, the temporary files may not be deleted by the application. When you restart your computer, Mac OS X moves these temporary files to the Trash.

You can retrieve useful files by dragging them out of the Trash. In most cases, however, the temporary files are not important and it is safe to empty your Trash. Check with the manufacturer of the application if you are not sure.

sheepk

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2014
France
It's quite useful to reply to this X years old thread. Thanks Digi-Scrap.
These files are still in the Trash, even 7 years later ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.