Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Puddinhd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2014

It is I "Puddintame" again :) I must have returned after curfew because I have been grounded (aka can't access my account)! :confused:
I have another question for you iPod gurus :) I use my iPod on home wifi a lot. How important is it to change wifi password & why?
Grazzi

kukheart

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2003
Dallas

It is I "Puddintame" again :) I must have returned after curfew because I have been grounded (aka can't access my account)! :confused:
I have another question for you iPod gurus :) I use my iPod on home wifi a lot. How important is it to change wifi password & why?
Grazzi

you want to change the home wifi password? not really necessary unless you think the neighbors know it.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
wep and wpa hacking by rigor
---
if you use wep then regardless of how strong your password is , it can be cracked. i think there might be wep networks still out there. wep cracking can take about 15 minutes

wpa hacking
---
wpa hacking is an offline attack the only thing that protects your wpa network is the length and randomness of your passcode and how much time and processor speed and video cards the attacker has

you grab the 8 way handshake packet. you then throw precalculated hash tables at it this can take 10 seconds or it can take a few hours if your SSID and easy password was already precalculated and in the book

books are usually 1000 of the top SSIDs , like "netgear" by 1 million passwords each

AT&T uverse here in california uses ssids like 2WIRE223 and default passwords of 10 numbers. i am surprised
there isn't a big book of AT&T uverse modems already out

you have no idea if someone grabs your handshake packet. the only way you find out is you notice someone
joining your network that you never gave permission too. they can grab the handshake packet and then come back in a year and connect

a lot of people think. including my friend sam thinks that a brute force wpa attack is someone constantly trying to brute force your wifi network, by constantly sending passwords to it. this is not true. they grab the magic packet and then use PURE CPU power to try and unlock it. once they unlock the packet they can come back and join your network

your hash is not in the book
in that situation then a hacker needs to brute force it and try every combination of letters and numbers. or words in the dictionary to hack your wifi this again can take anywhere from a few months or it can take more then a googol years.
depending on the length of your password.

a fast i7 can take a few thosand guesses per second. where as a a cluster of video cards can make a million guesses per second. i have no idea. but it is a lot

i dont mess around i use the entire 63 characters.

here are some good sites
https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm
you enter a sample password and it will tell you how long it will take to brute force your wifi

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm
randomly generate long passwords

if i need to add a computer to my wifi network i use two ways, one i keep the key on a usb key. or i make a "windows connect now usb key" and windows
reads the usb key and you click on 1 button and it automatically joins the network for you. also works on some printers and also the xboxes

i only type in the 63 character key on a kindle or a roku so far. everything else is copy and paste

now that a lot of stuff is on iCloud keychain, i could change my password to a different 63 character password. and connect macbook pro to it and then eventually the iPhone and iPad will get the new passcode because of their cellular connections.

do not use wifi protected setup. its broken and can be hacked with reaver.

if you do use it. turn it off and change your wifi password immediately.

----

a final note about wpa
if you give your wpa password to your neighbors, friends, or customers they can sniff your data and capture cookies just like they can do on unencrypted wifi networks. never give your wpa key to people you do not trust.

WPA personal = your passphrase is hashed, and this tells your router you are authorized to encrypt and decrypt network traffic. all clients use the same group key. this group key rotates every hour. your passphrase or hash is not the key that is used to encrypt traffic.

if you run a wifi network it can take 100 years of changing the group key every hour for the key to be used again

wpa enterprise = same thing. but each client has HIS OWN UNIQUE KEY and one client can't sniff another persons web traffic. there is no single group key that is used to encrypt all traffic. this is way better. but who wants to spend all that money on equipment

the rule of thumb would be to use 30 to 63 characters , like
v>hkfC..62qxP9NSVE etc etc, and you should never have to change it unless
you gave out your wifi to a friend or visitor.

if you use the full 63 ^ 96 printable ascii characters , it will take a 10^150 years to hack it

only use the printable ascii character set. like a A 1 2 3 !%^ do not use graphic characters are not ascii and can be different between computer to computer

here is a good example i just thought of

wpa 2 aes is a 256 bit cipher. why are you protecting it with only 64 bits?
thats like protecting AES with DES!!!

at least they wised up in star trek the next generation and stopped using 16309

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.