Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
USA
I tried Fedora 20 the other day at work and liked it so much I wanted to put it on my G5 at home. I have heard success stories online, but I am having issues booting into Linux. First here are some specs on my G5.

PowerMac 7,2

PowerPC 970 (2.2) Processor
Dual 1.8GHz Processors

3GB of Memory

GeForce FX 5200 Graphics Card w/ 64MB VRAM

2x 160GB HDD

When I boot and hold down Option/Alt to select a boot device, my Linux live CD never shows. Here are a list of things I have tried.

Fedora 20 64Bit Live CD
Fedora 19/20 64Bit PPC Live CD
Fedora 16 64Bit PPC Live CD
Target Disk Mode my MacBook Pro with each CD using FireWire cable
Fedora 16 64Bit PPC Bootable USB

What can I do to boot into a Fedora Linux Live CD or USB. I don't mind what version of Fedora, as I am hoping I can upgrade it to 20.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I tried Fedora 20 the other day at work and liked it so much I wanted to put it on my G5 at home. I have heard success stories online, but I am having issues booting into Linux. First here are some specs on my G5.

PowerMac 7,2

Dual 1.8GHz Processors

3GB of Memory

2x 160GB HDD

When I boot and hold down Option/Alt to select a boot device, my Linux live CD never shows. Here are a list of things I have tried.

Fedora 20 64Bit Live CD

What can I do to boot into a Fedora Linux Live CD or USB. I don't mind what version of Fedora, as I am hoping I can upgrade it to 20.

How are you burning the disks? I assume that you are downloading an image file, usually an .iso file.

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
USA
Correct, I downloaded the iso files from the fedora site and burned them using disk utility. The G5 recognised the blank DVD r before the burn. I even tried fedora 12, still nothing.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
You might try booting into Open Firmware and then entering this

Code:
boot cd:,\boot\grub\powerpc-ieee1275\core.elf

This will manually specify the boot path and will try to load the GRUB bootloader.

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
USA
I get the cannot open path error when using your command. The path does exist on the DVD though, I checked.

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
USA
I just tried a Lubuntu disk as well, it wouldn't boot to that either. I wouldn't think it is my dvd+r as they are recognized in Disk Utiltiy. Perhaps it is a bad DVDRW drive...

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany

PowerMac 7,2

Dual 1.8GHz Processors

3GB of Memory

2x 160GB HDD

Fedora 20 64Bit Live CD

"Only 64bit machines (Power5 or newer) are supported, but we still provide 32bit packages. The last Fedora release with 32bit boot images was Fedora 17. Although it might be possible to install a 32bit F17 release and then update with the latest packages, this is not supported by the Fedora PPC developers anymore. Interested developers might also be able to create their own 32bit boot images for the latest Fedora release with pungi but this is also not supported by the Fedora PPC developers.

Fedora 18 and newer also includes several optimized packages for Power7 machines. These will be installed automatically if a Power7 processor is detected. "

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/PowerPC

G5's are Power4

What about Fedora do you like? There are only a few Linux distros that support the Mac. Power is still used in HPC and Red Hat is all over HPC and Servers not oldish Mac's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.