Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benjobe2513

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
Humboldt County, California
What MP and GPU?

2010 5,1 Mac Pro with a flashed Radeon R9 280X from MacVidCards.

Can you maximize applications to full screen with your ASUS PQ321Q?

----------

I never had this issue but I did have HDCP issues and Asus advised me to update firmware. It's not publicly available, but I have it. Just stick this on a usb flash drive and plug it in the back of your display. https://www.dropbox.com/s/nonuqndpynno4f0/PQ321_Firm_V1100.zip

Thank you for sharing that. I will try that as a last recourse. First I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced this strange limitation within MST.

I'm beginning to think that having a UHD monitor isn't worth it. That the technology is too new.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Is anyone reliably running a Mac Pro with a 5870 at 4k? I don't want to invest more money in the Mac Pro itself ahead of rev b nMPs, but I'm curious as to if the display is usable. No games at 4k or anything.

mindcue

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2015
Same two-screen issue as benjobe2513

Background details:
Real Mac Pro mid 2010 5,1 12 core
Reported card: AMD Radeon R9 280x 3072 MB
(flashed firmware for boot)
Dell UP2414Q Monitor Rev A02
Yosemite 10.10.1
30hz Works fine at full resolution.
Using Dell supplied mini displayport to displayport cable.

When set for Displayport 1.2, which the manual and on screen controls state IS the MST setting (DP MST/HBR2 shown on setup), the monitor correctly shows 3840x2140 at 60hz as it's input.

However the system reports two separate screens being attached, even though there is just one. System Info, Displays, shows two DELL UP2414Q displays next to each other.

It seems identical to this issue from windows systems:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/dell_up3214q.htm#calibration
See the note "Important 4k Consideration". Seems to be related to ATI driver configurations.

I can't seem to figure out any settings in OSX that would be similar. I also don't have any other 4k monitors to test with.

I've tried various combinations of turning off computer and/or monitor, unpluging displayport cable, etc.

SwitchResX also shows two displays being attached.

Original card that was installed was original/stock Apple/ATI 5770 which worked fine at 4k and 30hz but isn't DP1.2/MST capable.

Ideas??
Thanks!
-Tim

mindcue

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2015
goMac: The stock 5770 card runs 4k at 30Hz just fine, so I would expect the 5870 to do so as well. No DisplayPort 1.2, so no MST/60Hz though.

lexR

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2013
UK
Hi, does anybody know of a way of optimising an R9 280x flashed for Mac EFI working on a CMP 4.1>5.1 OS X 10.10.1 (no beta) with a Samsung U28D590 . The system just cycles booting when the monitor is set to 1.2 DisplayPort, once set to 1.1 it boots fine and has boot screen however capped at 2560 x 1440? @ 60 hz but is a tiny bit blurry... But of a shame as I know this card is working fine on windows with the Samsung screen just doesn't seem to on OSX?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.