Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
Hey! So I just got my new iMac but I haven't been able to really enjoy it yet. The wifi on it is so slow for whatever reason. Both my MacBook and iPhone have no problems with the wifi. My iMac doesn't even load websites most of the time!

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
Hi,

do a speed test from both your Macbook and your iMac and post up the output here.

I'm at work now but will do that when I get home! If I can even get to the speed test site on my iMac haha

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Hey! So I just got my new iMac but I haven't been able to really enjoy it yet. The wifi on it is so slow for whatever reason. Both my MacBook and iPhone have no problems with the wifi. My iMac doesn't even load websites most of the time!

I assume you have password protection for web access so no one around you is hitching a free ride.

Try reinitializing your modem, router or what ever you're using. Turn everything off, wait 15 seconds and then back on.

If there are other wireless routers around you make sure you are connecting to yours and not your neighbors.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007

I'm assuming you have password protection for web access so no one around you is hitching a free ride.

Try reinitializing your modem, router or what ever you're using. Turn everything off, wait 15 seconds and then back on.

If there are other wireless routers around you make sure you are connecting to yours and not your neighbors.

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
I'm assuming you have password protection for web access so no one around you is hitching a free ride.

Yeah we have password. I'll try turning off after I've done the speed test

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
Hi,

do a speed test from both your Macbook and your iMac and post up the output here.

2 mbps up and down on MacBook and 0.86 down and nothing on upload since Internet gave up. The Internet is 100/10 but I live on the bottom floor in a 3 story house. The router is on top floor. Internet is unstable down here. Sometimes I'll download torrents at like 5mbps and sometimes it won't work at all. I can always surf though. Might move to the room at the third floor. It's just that this room has some advantages. It's also only me whom is up right now

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
2 mbps up and down on MacBook and 0.86 down and nothing on upload since Internet gave up. The Internet is 100/10 but I live on the bottom floor in a 3 story house. The router is on top floor. Internet is unstable down here. Sometimes I'll download torrents at like 5mbps and sometimes it won't work at all. I can always surf though. Might move to the room at the third floor. It's just that this room has some advantages. It's also only me whom is up right now

It sounds like you're expecting too much in terms of the quality of your wifi signal. Investigate the possibility of installing some Homeplugs.

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
It sounds like you're expecting too much in terms of the quality of your wifi signal. Investigate the possibility of installing some Homeplugs.

I talked with apple support now and it works! We deleted the system preference folder and my wifi works great now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.