Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpnfan

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2014
What notification app did you use? I had one at one time (was a mac app, not an IOS app), but can't recall what it was. Not that I need it now, but I frequently case the refurb site when I'm in the market for a specific item.

Thanks!

I purchased a 2.6 i7 on Tuesday night and it's on the truck for delivery right now. It said ships in 3-5 days, but it shipped a couple of hours after I ordered it

I was using refurb.me for text notifications. Sometimes I would get them and sometimes I wouldn't. I almost think it depends on stock levels in the store. On Tuesday morning I received a notice and the minis were in the store quite a while. Except for the magical $589 2.3 i7, which disappears instantly. The base i5 model was listed for quite a long time before it sold out.

On Tuesday night I received no alert, but had been refreshing the store at random and they popped up. The $589 2.3 i7 was gone instantly, but I got the model I wanted. I think I got the last one, as I refreshed the page after I placed my order and that model was sold out. The other models sold out right after that. The base i5 usually stays in stock the longest, but they sold out before the last of the i7s did.

Since I'm going to keep this mini for a long time, I decided the higher end i7s are a better value for me and that made it easier to finally snag one.

rshanahan

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2007
North East, MD
[QUOTE
I was using refurb.me for text notifications. Sometimes I would get them and sometimes I wouldn't. I almost think it depends on stock levels in the store. On Tuesday morning I received a notice and the minis were in the store quite a while. Except for the magical $589 2.3 i7, which disappears instantly. The base i5 model was listed for quite a long time before it sold out.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I added a notification for a 2.6 model. I have three mini's to replace, so having two i7's won't be 'horrible', haha! The third can be the base model.

kanewtz

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2014
Northern Ontario
Posting this from my

Late 2012 Mac Mini
- 2.3Ghz i7
- 4GB RAM
- 1TB HDD

Will be updating in the near future.....to SSD and more RAM...

So far Mavericks runs quite smooth on this machine!

This will serve as my main PC in the main floor living room with Home Sharing on for AppleTV

jpnfan

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2014
Just received my mini and set it up.

I was hoping this would happen and IT DID. BONUS RAM!:eek:

I ordered a refurb 2012 2.6 i7 with 1TB Fusion drive and 8GB of RAM.
On the box it says: RFD Mac Mini 2.6QC/2x4GB/1TB--Fusion.

Looks brand new without a mark on it. Opened the bottom-clean as a whistle.

Hit "About This Mac" on power up and there it was--16GB of RAM!

It was a good deal when I bought it--it's an even better deal now.

The long journey that started on the day the new ones were announced has finally come to an end. :)

Last edited:

kanewtz

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2014
Northern Ontario

The long journey that started on the day the new ones were announced has finally come to an end. :)

Awesome! Congrats!

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island

I purchased a refurb 2012 mini some time ago which also came with a sweet bonus of 16GB of ram.
Made my Apple experience just that much more enjoyable.

Rychy

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
Just received shipping notification for a 2012 2.3 i7 refurb, purchased yesterday. This will be replacing an old, but venerable 2008 Mac Pro.

Once it arrives I'll be upgrading the memory to 16GB and adding an SSD (once I figure out whether it needs an upper or lower bay hdd cable).

Oh, and if it has Yosemite on it, it will be wiped for Mavericks.

How are you liking the mini? I have an 2008 Mac Pro and am thinking about replacing it with a similarly configured mini.

FastEddy

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2007
North Californie
Just received shipping notification for a 2012 2.3 i7 refurb, purchased yesterday. This will be replacing an old, but venerable 2008 Mac Pro. ...

We have always had good luck with referbs from Apple and some 3rd party outfits. (I just bought a referbed 2012 iBook for my grand-neice and grand-nephew = back to school.)

We also buy referb monitors for the office from Dell = No complaints.

Philgr

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2005
Lakes - UK
Should be arriving tomorrow
Mac Mini - 2.3, i7, 8Gig ram, 1TB drive

will be put to use as a server for the growing collection of family OS X and iOS devices

looking forward to xmas messing about with this

rshanahan

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2007
North East, MD
Got my I7 2.3 running, replacing 2012 6 core 3.33ghz mac pro. Moved my Samsung Evo drive (boot) to the mini and upgraded the 5400rpm drive to a 7200rpm (for data).

Observations.. runs about the same, and actually boots faster (less devices to scan before the chime and Apple logo).

I did run one benchmark, hand braking a blue ray rip. Took an hour and a half/three quarters on the mac pro, took two and a half hours on the mini. No big deal, runs in the background and notice NO lag on the mini when it's encoding. I do a bit of video editing (FCP), but not enough to merit keeping the Mac Pro. I also enjoy SATA3 for the HD's and USB3 ports!

Looking forward to using less electricity and claiming some space in my office!

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
How are you liking the mini? I have an 2008 Mac Pro and am thinking about replacing it with a similarly configured mini.

While I had a 2010 MP I replaced my late 2009 mini with a 2012 2.3, 16GB RAM, M500 SSD. I liked it so much I replaced the MP with a 2012 2.6, 16 GB RAM. I moved the SSD and put both OEM HDDs in the 2.3 for Windows.

The mini 2.6 really moves along. The MP's four HDDs were put in an OWC Thunderbay 4. It makes for a really great setup.

As great as the dual minis are I've got a2012 MP arriving tomorrow. I miss having everything in one very quiet box with a Blu-ray drive. Can you tell I like to fiddle with computers? One or more of the minis will probably have to go if the used MP turns out to be as described.

Still got a thing for minis though...

unlimitedx0

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2014
* New * 2012 i5 and i7 Server on Clearance from Apple

Not refurbs..but new (essentially $100 off orig price) in the Clearance section -- not sure WTH these popped up from?!?

i5, 2.5: $499
i7, 2.3 Server: $899

Last edited:

Dameatball

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2014
San Francisco

That's the best mini to date. Curious, where did you pick it up?

Dr Charter

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Oklahoma
After a bit of a wait, I grabbed a refurb 2012 base model. I can finally retire that aging Dell tower in my campus office. I might upgrade the RAM and throw in an SSD later but for now I am thrilled to get this.

Scottmac1

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2014
2012 Mac mini I7 quad 2.3 servers popped up on the Apple refurb store last night , I saved $140 off the clearance price, was lucky enough to pick one up , excited to be getting my first Mac on Monday, I hope I get one with the 16 gb of ram either way I'm pretty happy, will be setting up ICloud with my brother and get logic x installed

Last edited:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Just ordered a 2014 3.0GHz i7 with 16GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD. It'll be replacing a 2011 2.5GHz i5.

I decided the faster single-thread performance and better Iris graphics were more important for me than faster multi-thread/core performance. And I'll be using two display port monitors, so the second TB/mDP port is a must.

Should have it in a week or so.

a1rflow

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009
Just bought a used Late 2012 2.6GHz i7 quad-core Mac Mini server with 2 SSDs and maxed out at 16GB of Ram for a steal at $900. Can't wait to get Pro Tools 11 and Yosemite running on it!

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2012

How come Apple sometimes gives RAM for free on Mac Minis? Or what is the story behind this? :) I see some people got 16 GB, and some others are disappointed because they only received 4 GB.

rvs007

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2011
Canada
How come Apple sometimes gives RAM for free on Mac Minis? Or what is the story behind this? :) I see some people got 16 GB, and some others are disappointed because they only received 4 GB.
It's just the luck of the draw and maybe good timing. If they are out of stock on a particular model, and if they have a better model available, they would substitute for free. But I wouldn't expect this to be a regular occurrence.

When I purchased my first refurb. Mac Mini (2012 base model i5) I was told the refurbs were all out of stock, and they were going to ship me a brand new 2012 i5 instead.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2012
Cool, I never knew they did this!

My dream would be the 2012 Mini with 2.6 GHz i7, 16 GB, 1 TB Flash storage and a thunderbolt display, but I guess it's too late for me haha

rshanahan

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2007
North East, MD

The other and I think more common reason is that if a machine was custom ordered (more ram, larger HD), and it is returned and thus refurbished, they do not strip it back to the base model, you get the base model pricing with whatever upgrades were configured during the original purchase.

Had a 2010 mini come with a 500GB drive instead of 320GB, and my mac pro came with 12GB ram instead of 6GB.

So far have purchased 2 2012 mini's and one more on the way, both came stock, but it's nice when once in a while you get a little bonus.

BTW, I am purchasing 2012 minis to USE and upgrade my 2010/2011 models, not to scalp on eBay for over $1000 :D

rshanahan

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2007
North East, MD
2014 mini's on store most of the day

It's amusing how there have been several 2014 model mini's on the refurb store most of the afternoon (three earlier, now just the two lowest models) and no one seems to fight over them.

Hopefully Apple gets this indirect message.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.