Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I saw it too and the title is moronic. He didnt bypass security, he actually used his dad's finger. Yes his dad was sleeping but there was no hack or bypass. But that won't get clicks so BGR uses the word "bypass". :rolleyes:

Of course, nothing against you for posting this, I just hate stupid headlines like this.

True, but it is a cute story.

tritron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2014
Well it points to an issue that thief has to take your finger to use Apple pay plus Apple needs to add ability to restrict access base on finger print and we need voice authorization this captan Picard authorizing this transaction. I guess is time to buy iPad or tablet for the kid

cuongnq

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2014
Actually this is his father phone, it's not 'hack' or 'bypass', it's just trick.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Green, who teaches computer security and cryptology at JHU, tells CNN Money that this story shows that biometric security just isn’t as secure as we might like it to be largely because of how easy it would be for both police and thieves to force someone to put their finger on their Touch ID sensor and unlock their phone.

“This is a really serious problem,” Green explains. “In a situation where you’re under arrest, biometrics are not very good.”

This is why the EFF, ACLU and similar advise people to turn off their phones the moment they think detention might be possible. Restarting the phone disables touchID until a passcode is entered.

Failing that, putting the wrong finger on the scanner 5 times disables it.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I saw it too and the title is moronic. He didnt bypass security, he actually used his dad's finger. Yes his dad was sleeping but there was no hack or bypass. But that won't get clicks so BGR uses the word "bypass". :rolleyes:

Of course, nothing against you for posting this, I just hate stupid headlines like this.

I stopped going to BGR because it's just full of attention grabbing headlines and garbage articles and "exclusives". Anyone remember when they said the iPhone 4s would actually be the 5 and Sprint exclusive? Such a joke site.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
This is why the EFF, ACLU and similar advise people to turn off their phones the moment they think detention might be possible. Restarting the phone disables touchID until a passcode is entered.

There's another reason.

Courts have ruled that biometric information is not covered under the United State's Fourth or Fifth Amendments. In particular, being forced to provide a fingerprint or retina scan is not compelled testimony, and so you have no right to decline to unlock a device, file or application via biometric key when ordered to do so by law enforcement or a court.

Passwords, however, are retained in your head. So, you can't be compelled to provide a password or passcode, at least in the United States.

But you can be compelled to use your finger to open your phone, or any other biometrically-locked device, file or application.

Powering off your phone prior to arrest ensures that biometric unlocks are prevented, since the passcode is required at that point, at least on iOS devices.

There is some ambiguity that has not been conclusively decided in court, however. The Administration contends that citizens at a border have no right-against-self-incrimination to refuse to provide a passcode. The Administration also contends that the "border" extends for 100 miles in from the physical border. So even using password-based encryption or device locking isn't, at present, an absolute guarantee that you are safe from at least an attempt at compelled unlocking if you are within 100 miles of a border. For example, if you're in downtown Los Angeles or Orlando, you're within 100 miles of a coast, which is a border...

And, tattered though the Fifth Amendment is, it still offers protections in the U.S. that are not found elsewhere. For now. Which means you have no right against self-incrimination in those places.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Its really a sad article just to get clicks. I actually thought it was a true way of by passing the security.. shame on me..

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
There was someone here a while back who started a thread about being worried about passing out drunk at a party and someone getting into his iphone while drunk.

I had a few thoughts:
1. Get new friends
2. Don't pass out drunk in front of people you don't trust.
3. Always keep a sharpie on you so they write on your face and not mess with your phone.

Anyway, clever kid. I registered my finger on my wife's phone and she registered hers on mine.

azhava

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona, USA

Failing that, putting the wrong finger on the scanner 5 times disables it.
The much easier and worry-free solution is to not do illegal things which might result in your detention. :D

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
The much easier and worry-free solution is to not do illegal things which might result in your detention. :D

By the far the most ignorant post ever.

Plenty of instances exist where people have done nothing wrong and have been detained. Exercising your first amendment right being one such instance.

Or when someone, otherwise minding their own business and not originally planning to do anything provocative (let alone illegal), simply witnesses a shooting and records what happens during or after. This apparently happens quite a lot these days. And this activity is perfectly legal in all 50 US states.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.