Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CJRhoades

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
Lafayette, IN
I set it down for a moment on the hood of my car to get something out of the back. Why I didn't just put it in my pocket I have no idea. I heard a loud *crack* and the panic set in. It's in a Nodus Access case so I was pretty sure the screen was safe but the impact sound was oddly loud. Seems it just hit the edge where the volume jack was. There was a fair amount of small rocks on the parking lot asphalt so it kind of bypassed the case.

XctSnvt.jpg

(open image link in new tab for fullsize)

The force of the impact actually deformed the headphone jack hole and I had to bend it back and shave off some of the plastic inner ring to get headphones to plug into it. The aluminum they use must be pretty soft. Up until now I've never dropped or damaged any phone I've owned but now I'm very paranoid...

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Yeah, the only damage is what's shown in the picture. I was really surprised when I picked it up and saw that the headphone jack had turned into an oval. Guess I should have taken a before shot.

I can't help but ask myself sometimes "why didn't I just.....(insert alternative action)" so many times after I've screwed up something. On the bright side, looks like you got away with just some scuffs, but I definitely agree that the metal is very soft.

Here is my bro's 6 plus after he dropped it a couple times (well, it was kicked out of his hand once, and fell onto cement from his lap getting out of his Stang GT....fyi, he's still in high school). No case, just Skinomi skin.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 327

Shikaka

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Dropped my 6+ for the first time yesterday. It put the fear in me since I don't have Applecare+. I have a Tech21 case but I just saw a video of a guy dropping his iPad Mini, and the Tech21 case didn't stop his screen from shattering.

11bE5

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
Spokane Wa
Ughhhhhhhhhh pain lots of pain heart hurting I know they are just phone but this still pains me to see they damage.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Apple is going to make hand over FIST with repairs this fiscal life of iPhone 6.

I maybe just me but I honestly think the iPhone 5S is the best looking and most usable of all the iPhones to date. I feel iPhone 6 is a beta due to the size and resolution changes. I'll skip this one unless I win one or it's a gift or free and get next years new model.

I really hate that the colour options are becoming less prominant. Black becomes space grey to simply darker metal on the 6's, same with gold, to champaigne to some nasty looking tint on the 6's ... nah. Not feeling it at all.

The Robot Cow

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2012
Central California
I say it's worth buying Applecare/insurance for your phone. Sorry for being off topic but when i was forced to buy a new phone after i lost mine, it sucked. I hate to say that it'll happen but if worse came to worse and if your phone was totally damaged or lost/stolen it's better paying $100-200 vs full retail.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I say it's worth buying Applecare/insurance for your phone. Sorry for being off topic but when i was forced to buy a new phone after i lost mine, it sucked. I hate to say that it'll happen but if worse came to worse and if your phone was totally damaged or lost/stolen it's better paying $100-200 vs full retail.

Loose this one and AppleCare won't cover it.

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
OUCH!

I was getting out of my car one evening, attempted to put my phone in a zip up hoodie pocket... but didn't quite get it in all the way (since it is so big!) and it fell out of the pocket.

I have my 6+ in a incipio dualpro, thankfully... the case now has a couple small scruffs, but the phone is fine!

I was scared to pick it up after hearing that awful sound!

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Apple is going to make hand over FIST with repairs this fiscal life of iPhone 6.

I maybe just me but I honestly think the iPhone 5S is the best looking and most usable of all the iPhones to date. I feel iPhone 6 is a beta due to the size and resolution changes. I'll skip this one unless I win one or it's a gift or free and get next years new model.

I really hate that the colour options are becoming less prominant. Black becomes space grey to simply darker metal on the 6's, same with gold, to champaigne to some nasty looking tint on the 6's ... nah. Not feeling it at all.

You do realize that next years model (If history is any indication) will be exactly the same (asthetically speaking) as this years. So if you're "not feeling" the 6, chances are you won't be feeling the 6S either.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
Apple's aluminum is SILLY soft. My old 5s had some dings on it from, I kid you not, putting it in my pocket with keys.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
I was thinking about the Nodus Access Case, now I'm not so sure.. Maybe I need a skin too?

CJRhoades

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
Lafayette, IN
I was thinking about the Nodus Access Case, now I'm not so sure.. Maybe I need a skin too?

The Nodus really is an excellent case. The issue is that it hit some small rocks that were sitting on the asphalt and that bypassed the protective lip.

A very thin skin may still fit inside the Nodus. There is a little extra space.

shunting123

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
I've dropped my 4 many times, and it's still going strong. The 4/4s were extremely well built.

I wonder if Apple's decision to make things thinner meant them having to sacrifice on resiliency of materials. Conspiracy theorists would say this might have been a deliberate attempt to sell more cases or hasten replacement each year or every two years. Whatever the reason, it's made me nervous about buying the 6/6+.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
Bummer, I feel your pain. A week in to owning mine and I noticed a scratch (coating?) about 1/4 long near the wifi strength icon. Still bugs me every time it catches light.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I am just glad I got apple care+ on mine. I dropped mine 3 times within 5 minutes the other morning walking to the bathroom like a zombie. it slipped out of my hand twice banging against the sink once before hitting the floor and the 3rd time it fell off my bed. I was like "SMH seriously?!?" thank god my floor is slightly soft so nothing happened. not even a scratch phew

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I am just glad I got apple care+ on mine. I dropped mine 3 times within 5 minutes the other morning walking to the bathroom like a zombie. it slipped out of my hand twice banging against the sink once before hitting the floor and the 3rd time it fell off my bed. I was like "SMH seriously?!?" thank god my floor is slightly soft so nothing happened. not even a scratch phew

Butterfingers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.