Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ventuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
I have an iPad Air. It has 64GB, 4G and the screen is perfect on this one.

I want to know if the screen on the new one is much better. I don't care about being thin and lighter or the speed bump. What I want to know is if the screen quality alone justify another iPad, or it isn't that different and I should wait for Air 3.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
If you have old retina model and got Air 2

The dpi and color of the panels are the same between Air 1 and 2. They only make the surface less reflective, so the Air 2 would look better for outdoor use. If you don't care about the speed and size improvements, the only other upgrade is the Touch ID.

No one can tell you whether to upgrade or not, because it depends on how much disposable income you have.

MikeVera

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
Well in addition to the anti-reflective coating on the display, they have also made the display itself more shallow and closer to the glass.

In text this does sound like a big deal from a user experience standpoint, but in reality it makes the screen "pop" more and look much better.

Also, I wonder if color, and brightness has improved. I say this because my parents have a iPad 3 and iPad 4, and the panels look inferior in color reproduction to the iPad air 2 when side by side.

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
compared to an iPad 3, the colors on the Air 2 screen seems to "pop" more.
Also the Air 2 screen is much improved over the hollow, "plasticky" feeling on the Air 1/mini 2.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
compared to an iPad 3, the colors on the Air 2 screen seems to "pop" more.
Also the Air 2 screen is much improved over the hollow, "plasticky" feeling on the Air 1/mini 2.

I thought that the mini 2 does NOT have a hollow, plasticky feeling. Can anyone verify?

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I can attest the mini 2 having the same hollow feeling.

When I tested the Air 1 and mini 2 side by side, I thought I noticed the Air screen being hollow and the mini 2 screen felt solid like the iPad 2/3/4.

matraco

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2014
When I tested the Air 1 and mini 2 side by side, I thought I noticed the Air screen being hollow and the mini 2 screen felt solid like the iPad 2/3/4.

I wish. I have one. One of the draws of the air 2 is the solid feel of the screen again on such a thin tablet.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I wish. I have one. One of the draws of the air 2 is the solid feel of the screen again on such a thin tablet.

Would the smaller screen of the iPad mini 2 make the hollow feeling less noticeable than the iPad Air 1? Considering the middle of the screen is closer to the edges when compared to the iPad Air?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.