Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maler23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2014
Done a search for this(here and on Google) but can't find an answer:

I have two user accounts on my computer. We'll call them Alpha and Zeta.

For user Alpha, I have a subfolder called Voiceover in my Documents folder.

I would like to grant user Zeta access to subfolder Voiceover ONLY

I granted Zeta Read and Write access to Voiceover but since Zeta does not have access to the containing folder(Documents), Zeta can't seem to access Voiceover.(or at least that's my guess)

Do I have to grant access to a containing folder(e.g Documents) in order to grant access to a subfolder(e.g Voiceover)?

I hope that makes sense :)

thanks,

-J

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Do I have to grant access to a containing folder(e.g Documents) in order to grant access to a subfolder(e.g Voiceover)?

You have to grant execute access to the containing folder. This will allow the user to find the subfolder without being able to read or write to the containing folder. You can grant this access at the group or world level in Terminal using the chmod command, e.g.:

chmod g+x containingfolder

or

chmod a+x containingfolder

The chmod command also allows you to create very specific access control lists, but you probably want to look at the man page for chmod before you play with that.

A.

maler23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2014
Thank you both for the responses! What I ended up doing(which I think was the same idea as using an alias) was:

-Granted access to Zeta for the containing folder(Documents) and the subfolder Voiceover in Alpha.
-In Zeta, I added the Voiceover folder to my sidebar.
-In Alpha, I removed access to Documents but left access to Voiceover.

Result: Zeta has access to Voiceover but not Documents.

Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.