Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
Hey All;

Recently (November 24) I placed an order with Apple for an iPhone 6 Plus, 128 gb model.
The good news: When I ordered it was showing an actual delivery date at the time of something like Dec. 31 to Jan 06.
But that timeframe was shortened considerably to Dec 09, so I'm really happy about that.
Here's the (potentially) not so good news; when I run the serial number through 2 different websites that show details about your iPhone I see a manufacturing date of the last week of Sept to first week of Oct.
WTH?!
How could I order a new phone at the end of November and get one made 2 months earlier?
I purposely waited a couple of months to order to avoid early production models (thinking especially about reported problems with storage on early 128 models).
Anyways, does it make sense to any of you that I would be receiving such an "old" phone new?
Could it be a refurb, or? (although it did ship from China).
Any ideas? Anyone else receive a new "old" phone?
Should I be concerned (it is a major purchase, so I want it to be right).
Any comments/ideas welcome.
Thanks.

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Hey All;

Recently (November 24) I placed an order with Apple for an iPhone 6 Plus, 128 gb model.
The good news: When I ordered it was showing an actual delivery date at the time of something like Dec. 31 to Jan 06.
But that timeframe was shortened considerably to Dec 09, so I'm really happy about that.
Here's the (potentially) not so good news; when I run the serial number through 2 different websites that show details about your iPhone I see a manufacturing date of the last week of Sept to first week of Oct.
WTH?!
How could I order a new phone at the end of November and get one made 2 months earlier?
I purposely waited a couple of months to order to avoid early production models (thinking especially about reported problems with storage on early 128 models).
Anyways, does it make sense to any of you that I would be receiving such an "old" phone new?
Could it be a refurb, or? (although it did ship from China).
Any ideas? Anyone else receive a new "old" phone?
Should I be concerned (it is a major purchase, so I want it to be right).
Any comments/ideas welcome.
Thanks.

Not sure how the ordering works, but could be some old stock from someone maybe cancelling their order. Or possibly the place manufacturing them is smaller/slower.

If it really bothers you just replace it

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
Well what I decided to do is give the phone a chance when it comes in tomorrow.
I believe I have 2 weeks to decide if I want to keep it or return it.
My big concern is reports of issues with the 128 gb storage on the earlier iPhone 6 plus.
However I've also read that this is not really an issue at all.
So I'm going to set the phone up as new, then load it up to maybe a 100 gigs or so and use it a while.
Any reboot issues and it'll go back.
I have a friend with a 6 ( not 6 plus) from September and he reports having no issues, so we'll see.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
Honestly, it would bother me. We're now in December so I would want a phone manufactured sometime in November. You're right there have been lots of problems with launch day 6+ so I doubt I would keep it. Hope it has no issues for you though. It took me three tries to get a defect-free phone (week 44).

Last edited:

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
Honestly, it would bother me. We're now in December so is want a phone manufactured sometime in November. You're right there have been lots of problems with launch day 6+ so I doubt I would keep it. Hope it has no issues for you though. It took me three tries to get a defect-free phone (week 44).

Yeah, I just don't understand how you can order in late November and end up with a last week of September unit.
I mean, with the super tight supply of the 6 plus (till now), you'd think a late September unit would have sold/shipped a long time ago.
I ordered like 2 and a half months after debut for just that reason; to avoid the early units.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
If you were trying to avoid early units then, yeah, I'd probably carry it to the store for an exchange

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I don't understand the beef here. Apple are still churning these things out like they were in week one, so it makes no difference. Only if you wait a few more months will you get a more 'relaxed' build.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
I have a week 44 iPhone 6 , 64gb that has the MLC flash so they might have stopped using the TLC flash already.
Edit: Never mind, you are looking for a 6+

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I have a week 44 iPhone 6 , 64gb that has the MLC flash so they might have stopped using the TLC flash already.
Edit: Never mind, you are looking for a 6+

How can you find out whether TLC or MLC?

My phone stats are:

Nice Name: iPhone 6 plus
Family name:
Group1: iPhone
Group2: 6 plus
Generation:
CPU speed: 1.4GHz
Screen size: 5.5 inch
Screen resolution: 1920x1080 pixels
Colour: Silver
Production year: 2014
Production week: 44 (November)
Model introduced: 2014
Capacity: 64GB
Memory - flavour: xx
Memory - maximum total: 1GB
Factory: F2 (China, Zhengzhou - Foxconn)

Last edited:

jeremiah239

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2007
239 Area, FL
Is this week 48 December batch?

Apple is very fragmented when it comes to production runs. It's just that I want an MLC iPhone not an TLC as I am spending a lot of money. Wish they'd not skimped on key parts.

Yeah it's December, and I definitely agree it's not right.

jeremiah239

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2007
239 Area, FL
Wow so I just checked that app out and it says my week 48 December iPhone 6 plus 128gb is a TLC chip. Disappointed to say the least! #

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 476

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Please go here http://www.pgyer.com/tlccheck

Click install. And press Trust. Once loaded if your device says default bits per cell = 2 (it's MLC). If it says 3 then its TLC. And if you scroll down it says who's made it under Vendor name.

Once checked. You can delete the app.

Damn, TLC here :-(
I'm in my return period, should I send this phone back? Is TLC causing my screen freezes?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I may have the most recent:

production week: 48
Manufacture date: December 2014

mine is MLC, but I also have a 16gb model, so I do not think it was affected by the TLC/MLC problem.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
Damn, TLC here :-(
I'm in my return period, should I send this phone back? Is TLC causing my screen freezes?

I think all the 128gb iPhones use TLC so you will probably get another one with TLC. There's a rumor about Apple changing to MLC for the 128gb but who knows when they will start doing that. Maybe someone else has more knowledge?

Harry8

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2014
United Kingdom
Oh dear guys, TLC can cause problems in the future. Like your screen freezes it's probably the TLC chip.

Try getting swapped at apple store and see what they say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.