Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gaugerer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Until recently I have rarely used the S-Pen on the Note 3 or Note 4 because I am not an artist and don't cut and paste documents and just bought it as a good phablet.

However, I now use the S-Pen all the time as soon as it's powered on because it is so much easier to use on a small screen than a finger.

For example, I rarely make a mistake on the keyboard or zoom the screen in order to select items and selecting text for editing is much better.

The S-Pen is able to do much more which I am starting to discover now I've started using it and it has transformed my use of the Note 4.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yeah I love it.i don't use it everyday but when I do I use it for important stuff. I love the note line. Nothing else compares to me

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Until recently I have rarely used the S-Pen on the Note 3 or Note 4 because I am not an artist and don't cut and paste documents and just bought it as a good phablet.

However, I now use the S-Pen all the time as soon as it's powered on because it is so much easier to use on a small screen than a finger.

For example, I rarely make a mistake on the keyboard or zoom the screen in order to select items and selecting text for editing is much better.

The S-Pen is able to do much more which I am starting to discover now I've started using it and it has transformed my use of the Note 4.

With my Note 3, I use it everyday and then some. When I use a friend's phone, if it's not a Note, it's awkward. It's the same way with tablets. Samsung really got it right with the S Pen.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It's the main thing I use on my note 12.2

Corel Painter / ArtBrush / Sketchbook. I even bought the bigger S-Pen with eraser on the top for drawing, and it's great.

For drawing I have done far more with my Note 12.2 and S-Pem than I achieved with my Surface Pro 2 despite that being a full fledged computer.

With the S-Pen there is never any issues with reading the edges of the screen - Surface Pro 2 there was considerable edge drift with the wacom pen/digitiser.

Likewise I find apps like Corel Painter and Sketchbook tablet are far more optimised for the experience than the full version on the Surface Pro 2 with it's finicky DPI UI scaling issues.

So yeah, love the S-Pen on the Note 12.2 for drawing ...

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
One of my favourite things about the note I had go use s pen today when I had to write down an important number got the s pen out using action memo and boom saved into my contacts straight away.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I love writing quick notes with the S-pen.

It's also great for copy n paste and screenshots of a selected area.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
This is my 1st Note and I thoroughly appreciate the SPen. One thing I don't like is having to type out a note, I am a person who still prefers 'pen-to-paper', on my previous phones and also tablets I had multiple note apps, but was never totally happy with them as I had to type out what was meant to be a quick thought, anyway, the Note 4's Action Memo has truly helped me, using it with the SPen feels far more natural than typing a quick note, which I do A LOT of.

I always have a lot on my mind (work, personal life, hobbies etc...) I am always planning, or doing something, always make a lot of commitments etc... and I tend to forget minor details easily, so it helps to have Action Memo and SPen to quickly jot down what I must remember to do and so on, it has comes to my rescue many times.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
How can anyone not appreciate the SPen. Going straight into Action Memo without unlocking the phone is wicked for quick notes. Also love being able to take notes while talking on the phone with my headset. Then there's screen selection and sketching. Like I said before, there is simply no other phone on the market that can come close to this device. The first phone I would truly call a smartphone.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
How can anyone not appreciate the SPen. Going straight into Action Memo without unlocking the phone is wicked for quick notes. Also love being able to take notes while talking on the phone with my headset. Then there's screen selection and sketching. Like I said before, there is simply no other phone on the market that can come close to this device. The first phone I would truly call a smartphone.

+10000

Have you also noticed how noninvasive this phone is when you get a call while e.g. Web browsing? It does not just cut to the call window and interrupt what you're doing, the Call appears as a Pop Up that you can expand and or minimize, it is just so brilliant :D

Its these little things that go a long way.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
it is awesome. it quickly allows you to capture and edit documents and screenshots with markups quickly. A very effective tool.

As it stands today almost everybody I know isn't buying Anything from the Note-line due to those well known huge drawbacks (Slower/less powerful/less support than iPhones, worse camera on most situations, overstaturated screens with antiquated lamination process and huge gaps, almost everybody on the high end definitely see Android as an inferior OS and there is no doubt that it is inferior as an ecosystem, touchwiz, and so on).

capture_zpsef426033.jpg

It's very interesting you come into this thread that in no way incited your response or even mentioned and iDevice in any way, especially a derogatory or attacking way and yet posted what you did as if you were trying to provoke an emotional response. I'll stay OT and trust PM's will work for anything otherwise.

Last edited:

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
With the S-Pen there is never any issues with reading the edges of the screen - Surface Pro 2 there was considerable edge drift with the wacom pen/digitiser.

Is this an S-Pen v Wacom thing or an Android v Windows thing?

I'd like to get a tablet with a digitiser, but (unlike on my phone) I'd rather have a Windows tablet than an Android tablet.

It's a shame Samsung don't seem to be updating their ATIV 3 tablet to use latest gen Atom processors.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Is this an S-Pen v Wacom thing or an Android v Windows thing?

I'd like to get a tablet with a digitiser, but (unlike on my phone) I'd rather have a Windows tablet than an Android tablet.

It's a shame Samsung don't seem to be updating their ATIV 3 tablet to use latest gen Atom processors.

It was a windows thing ... Both the Surface Pro 2 and Note 12.2 use wacom digitiser technology, but the Note 12.2 has no edge drift, the surface pro 2 was a terror for it.

Trying to use photoshop with its tiny menu and tool bar when your pen cursor is drifting is utterly cumbersome.

They seemingly improved this with Surface pro 3 - however that dropped wacom for an alternative.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.