Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JADWil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2014
Hi guys,
So I have an external drive (WD MY Passport Air) that I have always used on my macbook. A couple days ago I ungraded the mac software to OS X Yosemite 10.10.1 and all the sudden the external drive won't work anymore (it says that the disk is not readable by this computer)!!
I checked the disk utility, I found it there and the SMART status says that it was not supported.
Any idea how I can get it to work?? I really need the information on it... I already lost them once when my other external drive broke :S

Like I said it was working fine before I upgraded the software and nothing happened to it!!!

JADWil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2014
Thanks guys.
I called them. They told me the same thing, they don't have an upgrade for it yet and they didn't seem to know what they are talking about...

I'm gonna try using another computer to get the information off of it. I just hope I didn't lose all my files.. :S
I was trying to think ahead so I saved them on two hard drives, but both are not working now....

Any suggestions for another brand of hard drives which works on macs that I can buy and feel safe that it isn't crap like this one??

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP asks above:
[[ Any suggestions for another brand of hard drives which works on macs that I can buy and feel safe that it isn't crap like this one?? ]]

My suggestion:
If you can hold a screwdriver, DON'T buy an "already put together" drive.

Instead, buy a "bare" drive of your choice, and the drive enclosure of your choice, and put it together yourself.

This procedure usually involves nothing more than dropping the drive into a "case bottom" with a SATA connector, then putting the top half on, then putting in a few screws.

When you're done, plug it in and initialize it with Disk Utility, and you're ready to go.

Because you "built it yourself", if there's ever a problem down the line, you'll know how to take it apart, as well.

For an external enclosure, there are numerous choices on amazon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.