Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

booksbooks

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
I've love my iPhone 6 Plus and hate it too. This includes iOS 8. After so many years, it's hard to understand why these issues are still around. So here is my master list of what frustrates the hell out of me:

• When I start a video in portrait mode in Safari, then switch to landscape, it crashes. Every. Single. Time.
  • FaceTime can be good but also infuriating. When I lose a connection and it tries to "reconnect", there's no way to force quit FaceTime. It can spin on reconnect forever. I have to restart the phone. Then phone the person back and apologize for "dropping" the communications.
  • Siri is something I like and use a lot. Having said that, 25% of the time I use it, it fails, "I'm sorry but I can't take your request right now... blah blah". Nothing's changed with Siri in this regard. It fails a lot. This is unacceptable at this point.
  • Switching between portrait and landscape is tempermental. It's never been like this before on previous models. Something is slightly off with this. Sometimes it doesn't even respond (e.g., watching a movie then trying to switch).
  • Lack of landscape mode in the most basic Apps! Jesus! I mount my iPhone in my car landscape mode. Makes sense: it's a Plus. Fire up the Phone App: no landscape mode. Are you kidding? After 7+years iOS has been out and no landscape mode in this App, none in Contacts (from Phone App), and other third party Apps that lack landscape mode.
  • iOS 8 is a usability disaster. I like the modern flat design but it falls "flat" in many areas. For example, the design language and UI kit call for spelling out buttons. They're kinda no longer "buttons". This results in UIs that look cluttered: it's hard to know what's part of the UI and what's content, it looks ugly, etc. The design of core Apps in some cases outright sucks. For example, iTunes. Try landscape mode! What a useless pile of piss. Take a look at how small the scrubber bar is. Or how faded and lightly colored the bottom navigation bar is (e.g., Genius, Playlists..)... or how close the volume and play button is from lock screen... Or how cluttered and ugly the Control Panel is... same with the weather App... and on and on.
  • iOS 8: lack of innovation. I look at iOS 2 and jesus I know there's lots of under the hood stuff but it's virtually the exact same. I find the home button, multi-tasking, lock screen entrance into the phone, screens of tiled icons, and fixed screen Apps to be totally lacking in 2014. Take a look at Windows 8. Try the weather App on the Surface Pro 3 or something. You can scroll to the right to reveal more UI/content in Apps. It's really cool. Or multi-tasking is pretty dang cool. What the hell is going on with iOS! I don't want change just for change sake but this latter stuff is excellent for usability and productivity. iOS is barely better than a Palm Pilot in some respects. Don't get me wrong, it's fast and smooth (most of the time), but it's lacking in many respects. And the Settings! Ugh! What a long-listed, unispired mess bloated all to hell. I could go on...
  • I paid $1000 for my iPhone 6 Plus off contract. Don't argue with me that I can get it on contract. I need to own outright to get a good cell plan. This is way too much money for this device: they're too expensive, especially in 2014 after so many years of this being an evolved industry.
  • The bezels. Oh those 1990s bezels. They're huge! Get rid of them Apple!
  • All the mechanical buttons on the iPhone take away from its usability in 2014. Do we really need that mute switch on the side? No. Do we even need a home button anymore? I wish they could integrate touch ID into the glass and dump the bezels... and get rid of even the Thunderbolt cable and usher in wireless charging.
  • iOS performs the best out of any other mobile OS, but on the 6 Plus, it's slow and choppy in many areas. We believe this to be because of up/downscaling the display. It's annoying in day-to-day use.
  • This phone is too fragile. In 2014, it should be waterproof, very scratch resistant, and bend proof. It's none of these.

This stuff is really frustrating but I know that the iPhone 6 Plus is one of the best phones out there. iOS 8 really is a big issue with its poor usability. I can live with some of the hardware knocks but iOS 8 needs to change.

Last edited:

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
OP I agree with a lot of your points. With that said, I'm deep, or rather my family is deep in the Apple eco system so I stay. I'm an Android lover too, however.

Sounds like you need a Nexus 6 or 2nd gen Moto X.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
My 6 Plus has been absolutely amazing and I have absolutely no lag or stutter at all on my 6 Plus, your 6 Plus seems to be defective,

Sounds like you might not even have a 6 Plus, why would you spend all that money when a ton of your "problems" is something you could of always seen in person hands on with the device or so (surely you tried the device out before forking over money)

And Siri has been working for me 90% of the time and is light years better then what it has been, that seems to be a connection issue on your part with Siri having a response like that

thalazy

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2012
In a van down by the river.
Landscape and portrait video issue.

Just wanted to comment on the issue with the video's in Safari. I just got my 6 plus yesterday and I went to youtube.com on safari and played a video in portrait and let it play for a few seconds before switching the phone to landscape. Besides a slight stutter it did so without any crashing or other issues. I didn't have many apps running and my phone was set-up from a back-up of my old 4S. So it doesn't seem to affect all iPhone 6 plus's. Sorry to hear you are having so many issues and I hope as I use mine that I don't encounter many myself.

booksbooks

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
My 6 Plus has been absolutely amazing and I have absolutely no lag or stutter at all on my 6 Plus, your 6 Plus seems to be defective,

Sounds like you might not even have a 6 Plus, why would you spend all that money when a ton of your "problems" is something you could of always seen in person hands on with the device or so (surely you tried the device out before forking over money)

And Siri has been working for me 90% of the time and is light years better then what it has been, that seems to be a connection issue on your part with Siri having a response like that

No way. This has been discussed to the death. There is a difference and it's objective. All iPhone 6 Pluses are subject to slow/suttery behaviour at times. Particularly switching in and out of Apps, among others.

----------

yeah it has it downsides... still the best soft/hard in my opinion:D

I agree to a point. I'm getting swayed into buying a Surface Pro 3. It's literally the only non-Apple computer product in the world I like. Android sucks beyond. The hardware of the SP 3 is pretty sexy and Windows 8 performs almost as good if not better in some respects compared to iOS. Most importantly, scrolling and pinching and zooming is buttery smooth!

sunfire7

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
iPhone 6 Plus/iOS... I'm frustrated

I have a normal 6 and it has no lag at all, buttery smooth everywhere.

Also not experienced the safari bug you mention nor the connection issues with Siri or FaceTime. (It's different that Siri doesn't understand what you say/want than a fail because connection/server issues)

I agree with you on the landscape on stock apps like phone app. What I would like it's an option to allow rotation only in certain apps like photos or safari.

music app sucks indeed, I miss iOS 6 music app

I love the physical mute switch and the settings, specially the iOS 8 changes :)

Last edited:

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I agree about the lack of apps that have a landscape mode. Also the music app and its poor scrubbing. This has been the case since iOS 7 and still hasn't been fixed in iOS 8. It also applies to the video app.

Don't have any of the other issues you posted.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I just went through my phase of discontent with both the hardware and iOS so I agree with you for the most part. However after trying both a Windows phone and Android I'm back to where I started. None of them are perfect and Apple still just works best for me.

I think iOS is getting a bit stale and needs a little something to make it fresh again along with some performance improvements. The bezels are probably my biggest gripe hardware wise but I can live with that for now.

What I came to realize is much of my discontent came from being bored with the same old thing, however in the end I still chose iPhone because it still works better for my needs.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
That mute switch is an iconic piece of design on the iPhone.
Back in 2007 when I switched to iPhone from Nokia I loved that mute switch... the days of pressing the # key to mute your phone we're gone.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Just a suggestion to try on Safari:
I was getting crashes (video or other) every time I went to landscape mode. Clearing History would fix this for a few days then it would be back. Then 01silver4 suggested also chaining the Block Cookies setting to "Allow from Current Website Only." This made a huge difference for me. Anyway, it's easy to try.

(Still get an occasional safari crash, but I get this on every IOS device I have. At least it is more of a random occurrence now)

themyst

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
The lack of landscape for many apps is due to them not being updated for native support of your device.

I have safari crashes occasionally when it's fresh launched but my crash log attributes it to a safari tweak (I'm jailbroken)

No UI lag at all for me and I am sensitive to that owning a 4S as a work phone.

Never had an issue with flipping a video between portrait and landscape. What app are you having this issue in? I know my wife has issues with her 6+ crashing in Dramafever.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
Go on.

I wish people were more critical of Apple because this is real.

And here's the thing. This is supposed to be the REFRESHED iOS. #

I can't even select text like I used to. That's part of the copy & paste function. Broken.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
No way. This has been discussed to the death. There is a difference and it's objective. All iPhone 6 Pluses are subject to slow/suttery behaviour at times. Particularly switching in and out of Apps, among others.

----------

I agree to a point. I'm getting swayed into buying a Surface Pro 3. It's literally the only non-Apple computer product in the world I like. Android sucks beyond. The hardware of the SP 3 is pretty sexy and Windows 8 performs almost as good if not better in some respects compared to iOS. Most importantly, scrolling and pinching and zooming is buttery smooth!

Nope , I am telling you my 6 Plus is absoluely buttery smooth and I never have any stutters or lag, not in Spotlight, not rotating keyboard, nothing, I never have any stutters, Im on 8.1.1 with Reduce Transparency on, this 6 Plus is the smoothest smartphone i ever owned next to my 6 that i came on from, much smoother then the S5 that I had previously with ART mode enabled.

Either your device is defective or something, mine truly does run buttery smooth with Reduce Transparency on

And alot of people also report they too have buttery smooth 6 pluses, stop trying to grasp at straws and claim that since one person on a forums on the internet has the issue, then all the sudden everyone has it because that is beyond from the truth

----------

Every phone has downsides, but the 6 Plus is currently the fastest phablet and smartphone really on the marke at this moment with the 6, the Snapdragon 805 is inferior to the Apple A8

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Haha I am kinda agreeing with you. friends are asking me why they should upgrade to the iPhone 6 from their 4S and I don't have an answer really. same old ios we've known since the beginning with a bigger screen and better camera oh and it's faster... obviously but what advantage does it have besides no lagging.

I only got the 6 cuz I hate having dates things and I am too sucked into the Apple ecosystem to leave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.