Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tiagocc0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2014
I was using hardlink (https://github.com/selkhateeb/hardlink) to point an important folder to my new google drive folder and my machine crashed. Right now I have no access to OS X so I connected my HDD to a Windows 10 machine with bootcamp drivers installed. I can see all files there, but my senstive folder looks a file, instead of being a folder.. So I can't enter the folder to get the files and I believe the files are still there. Orphaned.

Any suggestions? It could be applications and steps when using Windows or OS X as I'm trying to get access to a mac computer to try to recover those files.

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The Boot Camp HFS drivers don't know what hard links are. Only Mac OS X 10.5 can access the referenced files/folders.

IHelpId10t5

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2014
Can you simply use the Google Drive web interface to recover (download) your files? Just my initial thought.

tiagocc0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2014
The Boot Camp HFS drivers don't know what hard links are. Only Mac OS X 10.5 can access the referenced files/folders.

That's something I hope to be true.
But wouldn't the original folder still remain a folder? If both folders becomes different then what you said is true and I'm praying for it to be true!

Can you simply use the Google Drive web interface to recover (download) your files? Just my initial thought.

I was just preparing to start uploading the files so I only got the folder structure but no files..

EDIT: I got the HDD to a friend who have a mac, what Intell said is true, bootcamp doesn't recognize the hardlink, and also both folder become like that.
Inside OS X I was able to access the folder. Resolved!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.