Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
We finished the first season and started the second. There is no gap between the two. I like when shows literally pick up right where they left off.

I'm not sure. We are watching it "on demand" through our provider.

Do you need a Cinemax subscription, I presume to watch it on demand?

dmj102

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
Canada
We've starting watching Banshee. I like the story line and that it's action packed. That was a crazy fight scene in Episode 3. The funny thing was that the crowd just stood and watched the entire "anything goes" fight scene. Too much lol. I do like the characters in Banshee. No one is annoying compared to Walking Dead annoying characters. I'm hooked on this one.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
Just finished Season 1 of The Killing last night. I was really hoping to be able to stop after the first season, but now I feel inclined to keep going... Ugh tv shows suck out my soul and leave me with time for nothing...

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Do you need a Cinemax subscription, I presume to watch it on demand?

We've got AT&T Uverse and to watch "premium channels" On Demand you do have to be subscribed to that specific movie channel. We're currently on a 3 month free preview for HBO/Cinemax. I'll promptly cancel once our free 90 days are over. ;) Not sure about your TV set up in terms of service, but often you can get between 30 -90 days free for premium movie channels or packages. With On Demand services like they are now you can binge watch a lot of stuff during that time.

We've starting watching Banshee. I like the story line and that it's action packed. That was a crazy fight scene in Episode 3. The funny thing was that the crowd just stood and watched the entire "anything goes" fight scene. Too much lol. I do like the characters in Banshee. No one is annoying compared to Walking Dead annoying characters. I'm hooked on this one.

Yeah, there's a lot of fighting in the show. I'm glad they filled in the back story some to help the audience understand how and why he had to learn to fight and how he did it. In season 2 there's a good line where someone says "you don't fight like a small town sheriff" :D

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
I know I posted this before, but I just finished season 2 of Newsroom. What a great show. Incredible acting and writing; just a pleasure to watch. Also Mac is definitely my favorite character. The ensemble cast really feed off each other and that gives the show a synergistic feel in my opinion.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
We've got AT&T Uverse and to watch "premium channels" On Demand you do have to be subscribed to that specific movie channel. We're currently on a 3 month free preview for HBO/Cinemax. I'll promptly cancel once our free 90 days are over. ;) Not sure about your TV set up in terms of service, but often you can get between 30 -90 days free for premium movie channels or packages. With On Demand services like they are now you can binge watch a lot of stuff during that time.

Yeah, there's a lot of fighting in the show. I'm glad they filled in the back story some to help the audience understand how and why he had to learn to fight and how he did it. In season 2 there's a good line where someone says "you don't fight like a small town sheriff" :D

Thanks for the info. I looked at Banshee viewing options and opted out of paying $1.99 an episode. They (subscription movie channels) were smart regarding their channel specific programming. If it were not for things like Homeland, Game of thrones and a long list of shows before them, we would have dumped them a long time ago. With its wealth of TV programming, Netflix at $8 for streaming is a bargain.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Newsroom ended last sunday :( gonna miss it. Definitely one of top 5 favorite shows and definitely my favorite HBO show.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Newsroom ended last sunday :( gonna miss it. Definitely one of top 5 favorite shows and definitely my favorite HBO show.

They did a good job wrapping up the show and I must say it is one of my favorites as well. The writing was excellent and the characters were both believable and endearing. The banter, wit, and sarcasm were just so enjoyable.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Just finished Season 1 of The Killing last night. I was really hoping to be able to stop after the first season, but now I feel inclined to keep going... Ugh tv shows suck out my soul and leave me with time for nothing...

I just finished finished watching BBC's "The Missing" and was trying to find a good, new show to watch over the break.

I've always wanted to watch this, but just never got around to it. I may start it up this weekend. A coworker also mention Banshee, but The Killing seems more like my thing.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I assume a Christmas theme, looking forward to it! :)

As you probably already know all too well, while it is always broadcast on Christmas Day, the 'Christmas' episode of Downton Abbey is not always set at Christmas.

For one thing, the episode is usually a lot longer than any of the individual episodes of the series (it usually clocks in at around two hours); for another, they often use the Christmas episode to signal the passage of time.

Quite frequently, also, a part of the 'Christmas' episode will be set somewhere else, someplace that is not necessarily Downton Abbey itself.

However, in fairness, Downton Abbey very rarely falls into the trap of 'Christmas' specials made by some other programmes when they feature no character or plot development but instead, offer a 'stand alone' story which serves as entertainment, not exposition or development of stories or characters. Indeed, as we have seen over the years, sometimes, quite dramatic stories have been developed, or concluded. Once, in a Christmas special, we even had the unexpected death of a major character.

Having said that, as usual, this year, the production values were lavish, the dialogue excellent, while it was clear the ensemble cast thoroughly enjoyed themselves as stories unfolded. I expect you'll enjoy it - it was a most satisfying evening's viewing.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
As you probably already know all too well, while it is always broadcast on Christmas Day, the 'Christmas' episode of Downton Abbey is not always set at Christmas.

For one thing, the episode is usually a lot longer than any of the individual episodes of the series (it usually clocks in at around two hours); for another, they often use the Christmas episode to signal the passage of time.

Quite frequently, also, a part of the 'Christmas' episode will be set somewhere else, someplace that is not necessarily Downton Abbey itself.

However, in fairness, Downton Abbey very rarely falls into the trap of 'Christmas' specials made by some other programmes when they feature no character or plot development but instead, offer a 'stand alone' story which serves as entertainment, not exposition or development of stories or characters. Indeed, as we have seen over the years, sometimes, quite dramatic stories have been developed, or concluded. Once, in a Christmas special, we even had the unexpected death of a major character.

Having said that, as usual, this year, the production values were lavish, the dialogue excellent, while it was clear the ensemble cast thoroughly enjoyed themselves as stories unfolded. I expect you'll enjoy it - it was a most satisfying evening's viewing.

I have to wait till January to watch the new season, but if the season is good, it's worth the wait. The end of season 4, if i remember correctly, showed "a whole new world" feeling for some of them, especially Carson.

Anyway, after watching the first season of House of Cards a while back and having no inclination to watch the second season, I tried that yesterday but I got bored after 20 minutes so I guess House of Cards is another show thats fallen by the wayside for me.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

My problem is that I don't remember any specific episodes where Downton was decorated for Christmas. :confused: Is this something they do every year or no? Regardless, looking forward to it. :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My problem is that I don't remember any specific episodes where Downton was decorated for Christmas. :confused: Is this something they do every year or no? Regardless, looking forward to it. :)

Ah. I see.

Well, it appears that the way Downton Abbey - the series - is structured means that it broadcasts two different types of episode per season. The first type of episode can be found during the standard eight episodes per season; the opening episode may usually run a little longer, - say an hour and a half - but these standard episodes - mostly - run for approximately an hour's viewing time, and there are eight of them per season.

Then, there is the second type of episode which is known as 'The Christmas Special'. These episodes are called 'The Christmas Specials' because they are broadcast in the UK on Christmas Day. In practice, they are broadcast once a year, and are a sort of extended coda to the actual series which has immediately preceded them. They tend to run a good bit longer, (say two hours), tend to be set away from Downton Abbey itself (London, Scottish castles) but are - in continuity terms - very much part of the mainstream narrative and plotting of the series, and often serve to conclude - or introduce - story arcs, confirm the passage of time, allow guest actors to take a cameo or starring role (but not necessarily for an entire series), try out new faces, and/or settings.

Occasionally, (as during the 'Christmas Special' at the end of Series Two which was set during Christmas 1919), the 'Christmas Special' is actually set during the Christmas period, but this is not usually the case.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ah. I see.

Well, it appears that the way Downton Abbey - the series - is structured means that it broadcasts two different types of episode per season. The first type of episode can be found during the standard eight episodes per season; the opening episode may usually run a little longer, - say an hour and a half - but these standard episodes - mostly - run for approximately an hour's viewing time, and there are eight of them per season.

Then, there is the second type of episode which is known as 'The Christmas Special'. These episodes are called 'The Christmas Specials' because they are broadcast in the UK on Christmas Day. In practice, they are broadcast once a year, and are a sort of extended coda to the actual series which has immediately preceded them. They tend to run a good bit longer, (say two hours), tend to be set away from Downton Abbey itself (London, Scottish castles) but are - in continuity terms - very much part of the mainstream narrative and plotting of the series, and often serve to conclude - or introduce - story arcs, confirm the passage of time, allow guest actors to take a cameo or starring role (but not necessarily for an entire series), try out new faces, and/or settings.

Occasionally, (as during the 'Christmas Special' at the end of Series Two which was set during Christmas 1919), the 'Christmas Special' is actually set during the Christmas period, but this is not usually the case.

Thank you. In the US, Christmas specials can be episodes that takes place during the holidays and may or may not have a religious overtone. Most running shows just use Xmas as a backdrop for their normal story progression. When you said Christmas special, I was not sure if that was the case or something with a religious theme which would seem out of place for this narrative. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.