Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
To be fair the TiBook is boxed and complete with all the accessories. £220 is a tad steep though even for a collector.

I bought a clean, undented 1GHz boxed with all the contents for less than half that a couple of weeks ago and I thought I paid a bit much.

£220 is just the opening bid for a 400Mhz. I dunno. I feel better about mine, now.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
I bought a clean, undented 1GHz boxed with all the contents for less than half that a couple of weeks ago and I thought I paid a bit much.

£220 is just the opening bid for a 400Mhz. I dunno. I feel better about mine, now.

I was very pleased to get a 667Mhz that was complete but without box for £21. It's as new other than missing a rubber foot near the battery and one tiny scratch to the front edge. The keyboard and trackpad appear to never have been used.

ctmpkmlec4

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Lyons, KS
Yosemite - 10.4.11 - Running on a G5!

Gotta love pawn shops.

Attachments

• craycraycraigslist.jpg
    craycraycraigslist.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 302

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
By the way, a local antique shop has a TRS-80 Model III(what the one in the listing appears to be, unless it's a IV) for $250 or so. It also hasn't moved in at least 6 months, so I'm not sure if that's necessarily an accurate marker of current market price.

I haven't kept up with current Ebay prices, but it wouldn't surprise me if $100 isn't too out of line considering what it would cost to ship one of the beasts.

Of course, most of them haven't been sitting in a back yard covered in a tarp :rolleyes: . I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the one in the ad working unless some serious work were done on it.

I've wanted a TRS-80 since I first played with one that a friend's dad had used and retired. His started life as an all-original Model I with 4kb of RAM and no numeric keypad, but had been upgraded to 16kb and the numeric keypad. He had the original monitor, cassette player, plus the expansion unit with an additional 32kb RAM as well as two floppy disk drives, a printer, and a modem to attach to it. All in all, it was a pretty slick set up for a TRS-80 model I, although we needed his dad's index card with the power up instructions to get everything working correctly and talking to everything else.

I got a free TRS-80 model 4p (portable) computer, but the screen does not come up with a picture; the only sort of indication I get is the red light on the power switch. I see these listed on eBay for around $400 (last time I checked).

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
This isn't Craigslist, but it's a pretty ridiculous example of bad deals of PowerPC Macs.

So I was in Kerry visiting family over the last few days and I was staying in a Hotel in Tralee. I went into town to do some clothes shopping, when I passed a small time computer parts shop. Intrigued by the iMac G5 on the windows I went in, in the hopes of maybe finding a well priced addition to my collection.

The owner was an Eastern European dude and I said hi to him as I entered. I asked if the Mac on the windows was for sale and he said €300! I thought it was maybe an early Intel iMac but he assured me it was a G5, and in fact it was the oldest kind of G5 iMac. I mentioned that it was a little steep...

Trying not to smirk too obviously I went over and looked at a 2004 iBook on a shelf of laptops for sale. He wanted €160 for it!

Worse still he even had a "2007" sticker on it which I was sure to correct him on oh so politely. I booted it up, to see if it was working and when I was going to quickly turn it off via the power button he made a big thing of "that damages the computer" in the usual IT condescending way. I said nothing and obliged him, despite questioning his knowledgablity of computers in general in my own head. It's the only way I turn off my Apple II Plus or Macintosh 512K and they seem to be still functioning ;)

He said the 2007 sticker was a mistake, but in sure he wouldn't tell the next poor guy who didn't know any better interesting in blasting €160 on something this ancient. Right beside a 2009 MacBook, it looked no different to most people. Intentionally misleading people I'm sure.

He was aware of the obselecnce of the PPC platform but said that they would still make good beginner machines. I might agree, but not for his prices.

I eventually offered him €50 for the iBook and he just shook his head and didn't even make eye contact :p

All in all, the whole place felt as shady as Simeon's car dealership from GTA V.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
This isn't Craigslist, but it's a pretty ridiculous example of bad deals of PowerPC Macs.

So I was in Kerry visiting family over the last few days and I was staying in a Hotel in Tralee. I went into town to do some clothes shopping, when I passed a small time computer parts shop. Intrigued by the iMac G5 on the windows I went in, in the hopes of maybe finding a well priced addition to my collection.

The owner was an Eastern European dude and I said hi to him as I entered. I asked if the Mac on the windows was for sale and he said €300! I thohht it was maybe an early Intel iMac but he assured me it was a G5, and in fact it was the oldest kind of G5 iMac. I mentioned that it was a little steep...

Trying not to smirk too obviously I went over and looked at a 2004 iBook on a shelf of laptops for sale. He wanted €160 for it!

Worse still he even had a "2007" sticker on it which I was sure to correct him on oh so politely. I booted it up, to see if it was working and when I was going to quickly turn it off via the power button he made a big thing of "that damages the computer" in the usual IT condescending way. I said nothing and obliged him, despite questioning his knowledgablity of computers in general in my own head. It's the only way I turn off my Apple II Plus or Macintosh 512K and they seem to be still functioning ;)

He said the 2007 sticker was a mistake, but in sure he wouldn't tell the next poor guy who didn't know any better interesting in blasting €160 on something this ancient. Right beside a 2009 MacBook, it would look no different to most people. Intentionally misleading people I'm sure.

I eventually offered him €50 for the iBook and he just shook his head and didn't even make eye contact :p

All in all, the whole place felt as shady as Simeon's car dealership from GTA V.

Ugh. People like that. Very sketchy man, puts a bad name on local shops.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
For a G5 thats guaranteed to fail? No way!
ScreenShot2014-12-31at23648PM_zps64acdc3b.png

Wants $250 for it 'like new'
ScreenShot2014-12-31at23559PM_zpsc7275739.png

$250 for a broken computer thats older than my pets?
ScreenShot2014-12-29at43127PM_zps7f969357.png

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004

€50 for an iBook is something you might expect on eBay as a private sale with no returns accepted. Factor in the cost of running a premises, possible VAT and usual consumer protection laws to consider then it looks less likely to be worth the seller's time for that amount.

By way of comparison:

[URL="https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SLAPAPPPB68010B"]CEX wants £135 for a Powerbook 12" 1.5Ghz[/URL]

Cash Generator wants £150 for an iBook G4 and £50 for an iBook G3

Cash Converters wants £150 for a Powerbook G4

Given what you said about availability of PPC macs in Ireland, the €160 is still a very poor deal but not outrageously so for a bricks and mortar seller.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA

The owner was an Eastern European dude and I said hi to him as I entered. I asked if the Mac on the windows was for sale and he said €300! I thought it was maybe an early Intel iMac but he assured me it was a G5, and in fact it was the oldest kind of G5 iMac. I mentioned that it was a little steep...

He said the 2007 sticker was a mistake, but in sure he wouldn't tell the next poor guy who didn't know any better interesting in blasting €160 on something this ancient. Right beside a 2009 MacBook, it looked no different to most people. Intentionally misleading people I'm sure.

He was aware of the obselecnce of the PPC platform but said that they would still make good beginner machines. I might agree, but not for his prices.

The whole time I read this I was thinking of Simeon from GTA V!

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014

Wow... excuse this, but that guy is a complete @sshole. The worst part is that he KNOWS that a PPC computer is no-good to the unknowledgeable user; I don't understand how this guy is in business.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
There are a LOT of people out there who know that PPC is basically dead for modern, mainstream computing, but are too happy to trade on the Apple name.

There's a flea market in the next town over with a booth selling a lot of computers and related electronics. He has a decent-but not great-15" Aluminum Powerbook priced at $250, and absolutely won't move off that price. He knows it's not well equipped(I watched him try and failing to play a Youtube video on it for someone on day). It's not even one of the better spec models-I think it's a 1.25ghz or something along those lines-but he's stuck at his price.

He also has(I think) a 2008 model Aluminum iMac with 2gb of RAM that's priced at $400. At least that one is still new enough that(I think) it can run Yosemite, but would need a RAM upgrade and probably a new hard drive before it could do do so comfortably. I tried to point this out to him, but he's convinced that it's worth its weight in gold just because it's an Apple. At some point, it's not even worth trying.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Pawn shops are no different from Apple or any other retailer. They screw suppliers and try to make as much as they can in the market.

You are missing the point. You cannot apply private sale prices to retail outfits. Or would you like to hazard a guess as what the 'fair' retail rate for used Apple notebooks is?

comda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011

This really angers me. The things people do to screw over other people these days is inconceivable. Back when i was in high school (i sound like my father even though i graduated only 2 years ago haha) this guy that was in my grade 11 (so 2012 i think it was) computer class needed a computer. Next time i saw him he had purchased a ibook. It was pretty beat up but the guy was pretty low on cash he said and needed a computer and wanted a mac. I found out it was a 900Mhz snow ibook or 1ghz. Dont remember exactly. It was a G4 with 512mb ram i do remember that. The guy was always rude to me but he did tell me he spend $250 on it. and the battery was the original one. Although i hated the guy because of his attitude i explained that he got ripped off. For a machine with Leopard that was no longer supported and pretty beat up the backspace key missing and old battery it was a bad deal. I explained to him that although it was an apple machine it wasnt one he could dual boot with windows and apparently thats what the clerk at the store told him. He got really pissed off at me saying i was just jealous he got a better laptop then my 2007 white core 2 duo laptop and i just wanted it. So if he didnt want to listen to me then fine. i left him. He later asked me why he couldnt find the boot camp icon on leopard. So again i was being nice and told him he should have listened to me and returned it. But after 2 months it was a little late.

its sad that people are trying to make so much out of old outdated machines. Just last week i entered a store to find some used computers. I found an early core duo imac, running snow leopard 1gb ram and a 160gb hard drive. yeah its not PPC but they wanted $500 for this machine. Its not even a core 2 DUO! like come on people!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
If you can make a machine sound and look better than it is you can get a higher price. A local shop sells Dell OptiPlex GX620s with the Core 2 Duos for $300 sometimes since they run Windows 7 Professional. They are fine workstations but a bit steep.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
G3IY7jk.png

Okay, that is WAY to much for a Ti. I might understand $150 if it was a 1GHz with 1GB of RAM, but it would have to be in good condition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.