Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
To be honest, I would love to have an iMac.

I have spoken with a publisher who would love for me to write a book. After thinking everything through, I think I will just go ahead and accept the offer.
I have a laptop, 15 inch rMBP, the question is do I need an iMac?
Writing my book requires some research and moving around from screen to screen and of course, the real estate is an added bonus for what I am currently doing which is writing, sharing, etc.
What are your thoughts?

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
Congrats on the book deal! :)

A more affordable option would be to get a larger screen for your MacBook and having everything on the same computer without the need to sync is an advantage.
But I'm guessing you are spoiled by your rMBP screen so you'd need a pretty high resolution display to match that.

What would the advantages of an iMac be for you, besides the screen?

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
Congrats on the book deal! :)

What would the advantages of an iMac be for you, besides the screen?

Thank you!
I have this very large software call Logos with 4,000 books in it. I will be using it to write the book. Using that on an iMac instead of my MBP would be better.

Other than that, I don't really have an answer. And yes, I love my retina display. I won't settle.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
If you can afford it why not.

Well if you have the money, it's something you want and it will help productivity and potentially make you more money then it seems a no brainer to me go for it. 5K imac for you then...

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Sorry for having so many questions! LOL :eek:

If I got the 27 inch, would everything look stretched? Not sure if that's the correct term.

No, you'd just have a larger screen, with the ability to have larger/more windows displayed than you do on a MacBook Pro.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
I'm a writer, and I prefer to work on a desktop. One reason is because I often have several things open simultaneously -- such as a Word doc, a PDF and a PowerPoint deck -- and the bigger screen makes it easier for tasks such as viewing docs side by side.

I have a 13" MBA, mainly for when I'm on the road. Most of my work is done on an iMac and, more recently, a Dell desktop. In fact, I bought the Dell partly to get an even bigger screen.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
To be honest, I would love to have an iMac.

I have spoken with a publisher who would love for me to write a book. After thinking everything through, I think I will just go ahead and accept the offer.
I have a laptop, 15 inch rMBP, the question is do I need an iMac?
Writing my book requires some research and moving around from screen to screen and of course, the real estate is an added bonus for what I am currently doing which is writing, sharing, etc.
What are your thoughts?

If portability and money isn't an issue, then getting a retina iMac is a no-brainer.

I have Logos myself and as you know, it's not the speediest of apps. It will definitely benefit from the increased horsepower.

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
No, you'd just have a larger screen, with the ability to have larger/more windows displayed than you do on a MacBook Pro.

I'd love to have to that option. More windows! :D

Thank you everyone!

----------

If portability and money isn't an issue, then getting a retina iMac is a no-brainer.

I have Logos myself and as you know, it's not the speediest of apps. It will definitely benefit from the increased horsepower.

I wanted to say something about Logos being a resource hog but thought perhaps it's just my slow rMBP! Thanks for clarifying that!
Do you have Logos 6 as well?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Thank you everyone!

Another option I have not seen mentioned yet is if the 15" Retina is fairly new, just keep that and use it with an external 27" monitor. The Retina should be plenty powerful enough for your work and you would only have one computer to worry about keeping updated and backed up etc.

I use a 13" Retina as my only computer and when home attach a 27" external monitor and Apple Bluetooth KB and mouse and it works out nicely.

The Economist

Suspended
Apr 4, 2011
Mexico
Congratulations on the book deal.

Make sure you need an iMac. You can write wherever you please on a notebook, whereas you'll have to sit on your desk whenever you feel like writing if you want to use the iMac.

If you want an iMac, the retina iMac seems to be a good option for you, just remember that it's a bit on the expensive side. Take a look at the spec sheet (http://www.apple.com/imac-with-retina/specs/) and make sure a 27-inch iMac fits on your desk or whatever is the place you plan on using it, it's a large computer.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA

Thank you everyone!

----------

I wanted to say something about Logos being a resource hog but thought perhaps it's just my slow rMBP! Thanks for clarifying that!
Do you have Logos 6 as well?

Still on Logos 5. Haven't made the jump yet. How are you liking it?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Congrats on the book deal.

Business venture? Tax write off? If so go for it.

I dated a girl that was a writer although it was more for medical journal stuff. I bought her a 27" iMac but she couldn't sit still so she would always used a laptop. I ended up adopting it lol.

I thought she could use the extra screen space because she needed tons of windows open. But she just couldn't sit in one spot long enough to appreciate it.

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
Congratulations on the book deal.

Make sure you need an iMac. You can write wherever you please on a notebook, whereas you'll have to sit on your desk whenever you feel like writing if you want to use the iMac.

If you want an iMac, the retina iMac seems to be a good option for you, just remember that it's a bit on the expensive side. Take a look at the spec sheet (http://www.apple.com/imac-with-retina/specs/) and make sure a 27-inch iMac fits on your desk or whatever is the place you plan on using it, it's a large computer.

Thank you! Yes, I need to consider that! I love going to coffee shops, too!

----------

Still on Logos 5. Haven't made the jump yet. How are you liking it?

I love it but this new layout takes up screen space. Lots of clicking on arrows to close a panel. It's a large file, so if I do too much it will freeze my laptop on occasion. I really do love it. :D I picked up the Reformed Silver to add to my collection! Amazing stuff. :eek:

----------

Congrats on the book deal.

Business venture? Tax write off? If so go for it.

Great idea. Not sure why I didn't think of that. We do have a business license for my blog and everything. Awesome! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.