Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SenileTomato

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
I am currently running Yosemite 10.10.1 on my MBP Retina, and every time I ask to 'Get New Mail', it does not work. I know this because I will always receive new mail within seconds on my iPhone 5, yet nothing on my MBP. I had somewhat of an issue with this when running Mountain Lion, but the issue seems to be worse now. Any suggestions?

SenileT

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I am currently running Yosemite 10.10.1 on my MBP Retina, and every time I ask to 'Get New Mail', it does not work. I know this because I will always receive new mail within seconds on my iPhone 5, yet nothing on my MBP. I had somewhat of an issue with this when running Mountain Lion, but the issue seems to be worse now. Any suggestions?

SenileT

Please clarify: Have you not received any new mail since updating to 10.10.1? Or does the mail simply arrive later on your Mac than your iPhone?

What's the setting in Mail > Preferences > General for "Check for new messages"?

Is this an IMAP or POP account?

If you have more than one mail account, does this occur for all the accounts?

Are you using the "get new messages in all accounts" icon in the toolbar, Mailboxes > Get All New Mail, Mailboxes > Get New Mail (for specific accounts), or...? Or does the same thing (not) happen, regardless of what method you use?

Have you run Window > Connection Doctor?

SenileTomato

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Please clarify: Have you not received any new mail since updating to 10.10.1? Or does the mail simply arrive later on your Mac than your iPhone?

What's the setting in Mail > Preferences > General for "Check for new messages"?

Are you using the "get new messages in all accounts" icon in the toolbar, Mailboxes > Get All New Mail, Mailboxes > Get New Mail (for specific accounts), or...? Or does the same thing (not) happen, regardless of what method you use?

I have and still do receive mail to this day after all the updates, although I do receive them automatically on my phone, while when it comes to my Mac, I usually am forced to wait 10-20 minutes. Even when I ask for 'New Mail', it seems to work only rarely. And yes, my Mail is set to check for messages automatically, I have just checked.

I only have one mail account, and I am not sure if I have IMAP or POP nor how to find out if I do. Thanks for the help!

----------

Also, I forgot to add I do not know what Connection Doctor is.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I have and still do receive mail to this day after all the updates, although I do receive them automatically on my phone, while when it comes to my Mac, I usually am forced to wait 10-20 minutes. Even when I ask for 'New Mail', it seems to work only rarely. And yes, my Mail is set to check for messages automatically, I have just checked.

I only have one mail account, and I am not sure if I have IMAP or POP nor how to find out if I do. Thanks for the help!

----------

Also, I forgot to add I do not know what Connection Doctor is.

Connection Doctor is a feature of Mail that shows whether you have working connections to the mail server. When Mail is open, select the Window drop-down menu from the menu bar. If Mail is able to connect to the server, you'll have two green lights: one for incoming mail (POP or IMAP), the other for outgoing mail (SMTP). If there's a red light, you'll have the option to run Network Diagnostics.

The Account Type can be found in Mail > Preferences > Accounts in the Account Information tab. It's also listed in Connection Doctor.

SenileTomato

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Connection Doctor is a feature of Mail that shows whether you have working connections to the mail server. When Mail is open, select the Window drop-down menu from the menu bar. If Mail is able to connect to the server, you'll have two green lights: one for incoming mail (POP or IMAP), the other for outgoing mail (SMTP). If there's a red light, you'll have the option to run Network Diagnostics.

The Account Type can be found in Mail > Preferences > Accounts in the Account Information tab. It's also listed in Connection Doctor.

I apologize for the late response. Unfortunately I still have not been able to find Connection Doctor. Although, I was able to find out what type of account I have, which is an IMAP Account. I did not see a green nor red light, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.