Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Greetings!!

Currently as i try to study for my final few exams I have been making a list of all the things i want to do over my Christmas holiday other then spend time with my Loved ones. Its time to clean some junk out and maybe resurrect some machines!

A few Months ago i was given a pretty dirty Performa 5200CD. I cleaned it right up and since it came with no peripherals i borrowed the ADB keyboard and mouse form my Beige G3 desktop and fired it up. It booted right up to os 8.5 and for some odd reason the CD rom drive will open up and stay open. It wont close. I close it and it opens back up again. Anyways. Aside from some cracked plastic on the left speaker the machine seems fine. But is there really anything i can do with it? The only thing i really could think of was trying to see maybe if the monitor connection is simple enough for a first year University kid to hack into and convert the signal maybe to VGA. other then that maybe install OS 9 tinker around and give it away? any ideas? Sorry i have no pic of it. its at my parents place. Perhaps ill post one in about a week when i see it again.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
The only thing i really could think of was trying to see maybe if the monitor connection is simple enough for a first year University kid to hack into and convert the signal maybe to VGA.

There were some adapters to go from the Apple monitor connection to VGA. You might still be able to find some 'out there'. Someone might have schematics too as I remember hearing about some people doing their own, not that I'd recommend doing that. I had an adapter, but tossed it a while ago.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That model is often considered one of the worst Macs ever made. Internally they do use VGA signals, you'd have to find the pin out for it though. They can run up to Mac OS 9.1, but not very well even with their maximum of 64MB of ram.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
Yeah, there are adaptors. I know this because I have 3 of them. I have no idea where to get them, though...

I hope I am giving correct information here, because I use the adaptors on my performa 6320CD which may be different than the 5200CD. Mactracker does say that both models use the DB-15 display connector, so I assume that it works the same.

bse5150

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2014
If it has the TV tuner card in it, you could use it as a television.

bse5150

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2014
I hope I am giving correct information here, because I use the adaptors on my performa 6320CD which may be different than the 5200CD. Mactracker does say that both models use the DB-15 display connector, so I assume that it works the same.

The 5200 is an all-in-one Mac. It doesn't have a monitor port. Lemme see if I can find a pic...

Attachments

• americangirlsmac.gif
    americangirlsmac.gif
    27 KB · Views: 2,379
  • mm-5200-hinten.jpg
    mm-5200-hinten.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,872
Last edited:

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
The 5200 is an all-in-one Mac. It doesn't have a monitor port. Lemme see if I can find a pic...

Yes, but there was an option to get the monitor port upon purchase, or as an upgrade card, at least according to mactracker. Anyways, I thought that the internal port was also the same connector? It would make sense considering that the monitor inside of the computer was likely just a built in version of the apple external monitor at the time.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Even with the proper adapter, one would have to find out how to get the internal display to power on without turning on the logicboard. You'd then be limited by the 15" display's limited circa ~1995 resolutions. I don' think they supported anything higher than 1024x768.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
I love the design of this Mac and similar models. (if only this wasn't [considered] one of the worst). I wish I had one of these, but they are hard to find. Make sure this machine either goes to a good home or stays in yours! :)

As Intell said, it's not going to run OS9 well. If you go on the Macintosh Garden (.org), there are plenty of classic Mac games that you can download for it. Obviously, though, you are going to need a floppy disk to transfer the files. I don't use my old Macs for retro gaming, but there are definitely some cool titles available. It is a nice display piece as well...

Not sure what is up with your disc drive, so I unfortunately cannot be of assistance here. If you don't care about losing the drive, dry getting it closed and shutting the machine down before it can open again, and then disconnect the power/data cables; it's better non-functioning than spastic. Of course, that wouldn't be as nice as fixing it, but I don't know its issue.

It's not going to be of much use to a person, besides toying around with it and playing games on it. If you wanted to go hardcore, you COULD find a printer for it and type documents, but that is more trouble than it's worth.

comda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
I dont think this model has the RCA plugs on it like the photo above showed. I have 2 Imac G3's as well as a Beige G3 Desktop that i want to Overclock and upgrade. With the Performa is there anyway at all to maybe get it running OSX? I just want to do something with it as its just collecting dust and my parents are slowly loosing patience as my room is pretty cluttered with my PowerPc macs as well as some Pentium series PCs. Is there maybe a way of over clocking this beast? And sadly i am familiar with the fact that this machine is considered apples worst machine. You pick the damn thing up from the sides and it cracks and upgrades are to a minimum.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You can put in an AV card that will give it RCA input. It cannot run OS X. You can clock chip it by adding a crystal chip to it that will bring its CPU speed up about 10Mhz. Not worth the increased instability that model already has.

comda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Alright. Guess this thing is a lost cause. WHat about these adapters? is there a way i can use the CRt to my Beige G3 as well as the speakers to it?

catzilla

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2013
Rhode Island
There is no way to run OSX on a Performa 5200. You may be able to swap in a 54/6400 logic board and run OS 9 a little better. The 6400 even had a cache slot G3 upgrade.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Without lots of work on your end, you cannot use it as an external screen or speakers. To put a 6400's logicboard in there you would need to swap out the power supply as well or the PCI slots won't work.

bse5150

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2014
The optional monitor port only allowed mirroring of the built-in monitor and was limited to 832x624.

Last edited:

comda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
The optional monitor port only allowed mirroring of the built-in monitor and was limited to 832x624.

I dont see why i could try just the monitor. These adapters. what are they called? My Beige G3 desktop has no screen and although i do have the Apple display to VGA adapter id love to have a matching screen. And since the 5200 is a beige ugly thing as well i figured it would work? If i just used the screen and im ok with that res using this adapter would it be that much work?

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I had one back in middle school! It was impossibly slow. Had quite a few problems with the monitor. As people have said, it was not a great Mac. My dad was so frustrated with it that when we went to Apple's headquarters in Cupertino (I wanted to go because I thought it would be this really cool experience . . . it's not), he asked the person working in the little Apple shop on their campus if they'd let us dump the computer at their campus for all the hassle we had gone through with it.

I did like the design, though.

I believe it came with MegaPhone (http://www.megaphoneco.com) which was pretty cool. You could take and make calls on your Mac using the built-in modem, and it could work as your answering machine.

I also ran an SNES emulator on it, and it worked pretty well for that if you didn't have the filter smoothing effects turned on. Other than that I used it for typing reports, etc.

This came out in the burgeoning era of multimedia CD-ROMs, but it was pretty slow with regards to media generally.

My computer after this was the original bondi iMac, which was both a revelation and blazingly fast compared to this model.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Internally like other all in one macs like the original iMac G3 they use VGA, you can adapt the screen, in fact later all in ones like the G3 iMac and eMacs are easier as they have a standard monitor connection. You'd just need to replace the board.

It's been since the late 90s since I've even seen a 5200CD, I'm not sure what the internals of them are like. They were always a lemon as compared to other all in ones of the time such as the 5500 and later the G3 all in one. They were mostly sold to schools and education departments.

Prior to the G3 all in one the machine to have was the 5500/250 directors edition, it was a kind of cool experience for the time. All be it looking back on it to be stuck with an internal 15" monitor was kind crappy and the only cool thing about it was that it was one of the rare black Macs which over the years share only with 5 other Mac models.

• The 5500
  • The black MacBook
  • The TAM
  • The PowerBook range
  • The current Mac Pro

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You cannot display images on the internal monitor using the video out port. You much find the internal Pinot and create your own adapter.

comda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Well guys. I'm only 19 years of age. I wouldnt call myself a pro at a soldering but i can do it. Once my exams are complete ill crack her open. If it seems like its way over my head then oh well. I shall post photos of how my diss assembly goes. Expect them later next week :)

supernova777

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2007
Well guys. I'm only 19 years of age. I wouldnt call myself a pro at a soldering but i can do it. Once my exams are complete ill crack her open. If it seems like its way over my head then oh well. I shall post photos of how my diss assembly goes. Expect them later next week :)

comda;; i know its probably way too late to respond to this.. but i was just reading this thread as there is a performa 5200CD for sale down the street from my house..

from what i read, u seem to be trying to find out if u can use the screen as a monitor for your g3... this is NOT possible.. the monitor port they were talking about is for mirroring ONLY.. which means it allows u to use an external VGA monitor to display whats already being displayed on the built in CRT only..
u cant use the monitor port to use the CRT as a display for another mac...

comda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
comda;; i know its probably way too late to respond to this.. but i was just reading this thread as there is a performa 5200CD for sale down the street from my house..

from what i read, u seem to be trying to find out if u can use the screen as a monitor for your g3... this is NOT possible.. the monitor port they were talking about is for mirroring ONLY.. which means it allows u to use an external VGA monitor to display whats already being displayed on the built in CRT only..
u cant use the monitor port to use the CRT as a display for another mac...

Supernova777, Yes it is way too late. Sadly the old thing was taking up space so i ripped out the Ram and the Hard drive and my co workers gutted the machine for recycling. It was all cracked up anyways and beat up.

As for what i was doing i was trying to find the VGA in that goes from the performas circuit board to the CRT to use the CRt for my Beige G3 desktop. Since it involved a LOT of soldering and another Power Supply and the CRt plastic was falling apart i gave up and ended up putting the Beige G3 into the closet for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.