Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chacham

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
My brother lent me his Macbook air (first edition.) Everything was awesome until the hdd started clicking and things stopped responding. Never should have emptied that trash bin, i guess.

Anyway, i purchased a new ssd on ebay and hooked that up by following a youtube video. Amazing. now i'm trying to install the OS.

Turning on the system shows me a windows drive, running it says ntldr has some error. I'm guessing the means it found the ssd.

Attached the external dvd and put operating disk 1 inside. The icon shows up on the screen, clicking it makes whir then after a short wait turn off. Looked online and saw it required an internet connection. Okay. So, i connected it to my wifi and tried the install again. It whistles and whirs (well, it doesn't actually whistle) and chugs away. Chose to reformat the ssd for osx. Then it gives me an error telling me the install failed.

Is there a way to verify the SSD is working well? Is the correct way to install the OS?

Last edited:

chacham

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
Problem was the disk was not partitioned as GUID. I misunderstood it the first time around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.