Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Yeah, but you made generalizations about entire races.

You should retract those statements or put an '/s' at the end of statements, because otherwise you are making yourself look pretty racist.

Like I said, I do not think that you are because I witnessed previous posts of yours, but for those that have not you look like a bigot on this thread. Just a friendly heads up.;)

I don't think a "/s" could hide that man's hate.

Tough Guy

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
I'm not the one sending heated PMs though.

There's nothing heated about them. I believe you are someone that desperately needs help.

I'm very glad people like you post in public forums. It gives great insight into the types of minds that support the Jesse Jacksons and Al Sharptons of the world. You are a textbook example.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
I have never been concerned with losing a position to anyone, except those more qualified than me. Regardless of race or gender.

Have you ever been a hiring manager?

Have you ever had Human Resources tell you that you couldn't hire someone because they were not a minority?

Have you ever been instructed by Human Resources to not interview someone that was not a minority?

Sure, it is anecdotal, it happened to me many times.

I'm curious when and where that occurred.

Over the last 13 years I've worked for a California State University renowned for it's liberalness. I've participated in numerous hiring committees and been trained many times on Affirmative Action (it's not a quota system) and the issue of bias in hiring.

Never once has HR instructed me to hire or interview a candidate based on the race or gender. Affirmative Action is meant to keep employers from precluding candidates simply on the basis of their race, gender, age, etc. It is not intended to force an employer to hire anybody who is not qualified to do the job.

People commonly believe that AA involves quotas ... a some decades back it did. But the program administered by the federal and state government of California do not promote hiring people to fulfill quotas. I have always been advised that the search is intended to find the best qualified candidate, not anyone of a specific race.

Like you, my account is anecdotal. But I would be happy to post state or federal policy that corroborates my experience.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
There's nothing heated about them. I believe you are someone that desperately needs help.

I'm very glad people like you post in public forums. It gives great insight into the types of minds that support The Jesse Jacksons and Al Sharptons of the world. You are a textbook example.

No, they just show that you and your prejudice have nothing to stand on.

You have like 100 posts and a quarter of them are on this thread and downright bigoted and racist.

You've been outed.

You really should use a different adjective for your name. I've got a few suggestions. :D

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
For those who want to make the argument that minorities do not get any special treatment either, go ahead and reacquaint yourself with Affirmative Action. This is exactly the purpose of this program. In this country we seem to be familiar with whom those minorities are. The irony is minorities are different in the different countries that participate. <mind blown>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmative_action
http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/hiring/affirmativeact.htm

And yes I have seen this in action, no pun intended, firsthand. It's pathetic.

I can show you statistics of discrimination on race and on names that is actively conducted by HR departments around the world to show you exactly why this is nonsense and why no matter how hard these people work there will be a glass ceiling put in front of them.

Until such time as there isn't a glass ceiling in HR departments your statement is objectively and statistically blatantly and fragrantly false. There are plenty of companies that simply will not hire someone purely based on racial profiling.

Renzatic

Suspended
Sadly I came in this thread WAY to late for any actual debate. Page 3 is full of all of that and no Mods yet.

They should start practicing outright deleting entire threads.

Even if you came in at page 1, it still would've ended up about the same. When it comes to topics that gets everyone tense on all sides of the fence like affirmative action, the crazies are the ones who end up rising to the top and getting the most attention. They're the loudest, and the most willing to speak what some people are thinking, but are too afraid to say outright.

And anyway, I've come to realize that the first few pages of any hot topic Macrumors thread are almost always an upvote feeding frenzy. The real discussions usually don't start til later on in.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

Over the last 13 years I've worked for a California State University renowned for it's liberalness. I've participated in numerous hiring committees and been trained many times on Affirmative Action (it's not a quota system) and the issue of bias in hiring.

Never once has HR instructed me to hire or interview a candidate based on the race or gender. Affirmative Action is meant to keep employers from precluding candidates simply on the basis of their race, gender, age, etc. It is not intended to force an employer to hire anybody but the most qualified candidate.

People commonly believe that it involves quotas ... a some decades back it did. But the program administered by the federal and state government of California do not promote hiring people to fulfill quotas. I have always been advised that the search is intended to find the best qualified candidate, not anyone of a specific race.

Like you, my account is anecdotal. But I would be happy to post state or federal policy that corroborates my experience.

I agree, and I would like to add economic status and age and location.

When working near a city that's predominantly African American, affirmative action works the other way.

Last edited:

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010

Never once has HR instructed me to hire or interview a candidate based on the race or gender. Affirmative Action is meant to keep employers from precluding candidates simply on the basis of their race, gender, age, etc.

People commonly believe that it involves quotas ... a some decades back it did. But the program administered by the federal and state government of California do not hire people to fulfill quotas. I have always been advised that the search is intended to find the best qualified candidate, not anyone of a specific race.

Illinois and Georgia (employer Illinois HQ) 1990 to 2005
Georgia (California HQ) 2005 to 2009

No need to post State and Federal policies.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Even if you came in at page 1, it still would've ended up about the same. When it comes to topics that gets everyone tense on all sides of the fence like affirmative action, the crazies are the ones who end up rising to the top and getting the most attention. They're the loudest, and the most willing to speak what some people are thinking, but are too afraid to say.

And anyway, I've come to realize that the first few pages of any hot topic Macrumors thread are almost always an upvote feeding frenzy. The real discussions usually don't start til later on in.

True, and yes, and I would sympathize with them if they didn't bury their message in racist ramblings and such.

I can't say 100% that hiring prejudices against whites exist or don't exist.

What I do know is that when university pulls tenured PhD. professors into a room (there's a hint for you there Tough Guy) and ask them to hire a professor there's a list of guidelines and rules that we must follow.

One, the one dealing with AA, asks that we SEEK diligently "a diverse pool of candidates" the part in quotes being verbatim.

After that it's up to the person's skills and in some cases their ability to know and have made an impression on people.

Anything else is illegal, and institutions have been sued by whites for doing just such a thing. There are other cases, and I'll say this again just incase certain folk fail to understand it:

Affirmative Action works in the other direction.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
MOD NOTE: Thread closed for review.

EDIT: Upon review, we have decided not to reopen the thread, but are still discussing our next steps.

B

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.