Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Running Onyx v2.9.1 and latest Yosemite and I notice when I run Onyx Cleaning/Internet, and afterwards load Safari and check History that Safary History is still showing and has NOT been cleared by Onyx.

Anyone know why Onyx cannot clean Safari History?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Running Onyx v2.9.1 and latest Yosemite and I notice when I run Onyx Cleaning/Internet, and afterwards load Safari and check History that Safary History is still showing and has NOT been cleared by Onyx.

You can clear Safari history in Safari. You don't need another app to do that. You also don't need to be clearing any caches, unless you're clearing a particular cache to troubleshoot problems with a specific app.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
You can clear Safari history in Safari. You don't need another app to do that. You also don't need to be clearing any caches, unless you're clearing a particular cache to troubleshoot problems with a specific app.

But why does Onyx claim to clear out browsing history yet FAILS to clear out Safari history listing?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
But why does Onyx claim to clear out browsing history yet FAILS to clear out Safari history listing?
Lots of software developers make claims that their apps don't fulfill. While OnyX has a good reputation, it's not flawless. The question is, why are you trying to use OnyX to clear Safari history, when Safari can do that without using another app? Safari can even be set to automatically clear history.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Lots of software developers make claims that their apps don't fulfill. While OnyX has a good reputation, it's not flawless. The question is, why are you trying to use OnyX to clear Safari history, when Safari can do that without using another app? Safari can even be set to automatically clear history.

I thought I needed Onyx to clear out DNS cache and 100% completely clear out browsing history including all sites and photos etc?

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Aside from having to go into each browser, onyx is supposed to clean each browsers cache. Kind of a one stop shop if you will. I have a feeling that one of the reasons the OP is asking.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I thought I needed Onyx to clear out DNS cache and 100% completely clear out browsing history including all sites and photos etc?
When you reset Safari with "Clear history" and "Remove all website data" selected, it does just that. You don't need another app. You can also use "Private Browsing" mode, so it won't store such things, so they don't need to be cleared.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
When you reset Safari with "Clear history" and "Remove all website data" selected, it does just that. You don't need another app. You can also use "Private Browsing" mode, so it won't store such things, so they don't need to be cleared.

I always thought that even if I use Safary private mode or clear history in Safari that web history such as web address', pictures from websites, data etc is stored elsewhere on the Mac?:rolleyes:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I always thought that even if I use Safary private mode or clear history in Safari that web history such as web address', pictures from websites, data etc is stored elsewhere on the Mac?:rolleyes:
Not true, if you use Private Browsing or clear history and website data.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Do you happen to Safari sync turned on in iCloud settings?

I use an app called Cookie that clears history and deletes non-whitelisted cookies when I quit Safari, and it was not properly clearing history if Safari iCloud sync was on. As soon as I turned that off, it worked fine.

From poking around at file dates/time etc, it looked like the app would try to delete the history, then iCloud would push the history back down to Safari.

Try turning that off in iCloud and see if Onyx works then.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Do you happen to Safari sync turned on in iCloud settings?

I use an app called Cookie that clears history and deletes non-whitelisted cookies when I quit Safari, and it was not properly clearing history if Safari iCloud sync was on. As soon as I turned that off, it worked fine.

From poking around at file dates/time etc, it looked like the app would try to delete the history, then iCloud would push the history back down to Safari.

Try turning that off in iCloud and see if Onyx works then.

Stumbled across your post whilst doing a search on the forum. I think I'm having the same problem with Cookie two years later. I'm a bit p*ssed about it tbh. Nowhere does the developer say in the MAS description this can be a problem, nor on their website. Cookie is a Mac app, using Safari and iCloud sync on a Mac is hardly an edge case.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Stumbled across your post whilst doing a search on the forum. I think I'm having the same problem with Cookie two years later. I'm a bit p*ssed about it tbh. Nowhere does the developer say in the MAS description this can be a problem, nor on their website. Cookie is a Mac app, using Safari and iCloud sync on a Mac is hardly an edge case.
Yeah... I saw your post and another persons over on the Cookie forum, so it looks like this is still the case. I ended up just leaving iCloud Safari sync turned off.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

That doesn't really answer the question.... People have legimiate reasons to automate clearing stuff out. Onyx is not only clearing safari history... it a general purpose cleaner for logs as well which u would other need to go and manually find /delete.

More like a spring cleaning app for your Mac for everything, not just Safari

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
That doesn't really answer the question.... People have legimiate reasons to automate clearing stuff out. Onyx is not only clearing safari history... it a general purpose cleaner for logs as well which u would other need to go and manually find /delete.

More like a spring cleaning app for your Mac for everything, not just Safari
I'm quite familiar with Onyx and its claimed purpose. I'm also familiar with the fact that people have various reasons for clearing certain items, including ignorance about whether or not something should be cleared. The fact (2 years ago, when this thread was posted) is that the OP was trying to use Onyx to clear Safari history, when that function is built into Safari. My post answered the question accurately. Some apps, including Onyx, may fail to do all they claim to do. Launching a 3rd party app to clear Safari history is very inefficient compared to selecting a single menu item in Safari itself.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Yeah... I saw your post and another persons over on the Cookie forum, so it looks like this is still the case. I ended up just leaving iCloud Safari sync turned off.

I ended up refunding it, I just couldn't fit Cookie into my workflow. I know syncing such stuff across iCloud can be done but I gather it is quite tricky eg Smarky from Sheep Systems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.