Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

So are you ?

• No incentive pangu 8.1 does the trick

Votes: 41 37.3%
  • Yes! Legacy device helps or I just want bleeding edge / hope it fixes stuff

Votes: 33 30.0%
  • Eventually but going to wait it out

Votes: 36 32.7%

• Total voters

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
Wifiried is certainly still needed!!

What kind of router do you guys have? I haven't had an issue with mine and was receiving a constant connection with mine and was receiving pretty close to my max speed all the way to my bedroom.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
I updated since it saves some space and I only have the 16gb iPhone.

No problems at all so far. Tweaks seem stable. I didn't restore via iTunes as I usually would I just updated with iTunes then ran Taig and all went well.

DennischNL

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2014
I heard you can, if you have now a jailbreak on 8.1 (pangu), that you can do a update to 8.1.1 trough iTunes (so all your data stays) and jailbreak it again with Taig?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I heard you can, if you have now a jailbreak on 8.1 (pangu), that you can do a update to 8.1.1 trough iTunes (so all your data stays) and jailbreak it again with Taig?

You must click the restore button in iTunes to go to iOS 8.1.1. You cannot update when jailbroken.

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
You must click the restore button in iTunes to go to iOS 8.1.1. You cannot update when jailbroken.

Not necessarily true. It's recommended that you restore, however I just updated from 8.1 jailbroken from Pangu and updated through iTunes and rejailbroke with Taig and it worked perfectly fine. (I was too lazy to do a full restore.)

mattkilla

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2014
North Carolina
Are you updating from pangu 8.1 to taig 8.1.1

What kind of router do you guys have? I haven't had an issue with mine and was receiving a constant connection with mine and was receiving pretty close to my max speed all the way to my bedroom.

It's not a problem of speed it is a problem of re-connectivity. When you go out of a wifi zone then return it seldomly connects by itself without having to go to settings page.

Same problem consists at work and home. 2 totally different connections and router.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Not necessarily true. It's recommended that you restore, however I just updated from 8.1 jailbroken from Pangu and updated through iTunes and rejailbroke with Taig and it worked perfectly fine. (I was too lazy to do a full restore.)

Prepare yourself for the oncoming instability and other unwanted negative effects of doing that.

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2008
California

I'm with Intell, with an issue like the Wifi issues you shouldn't be suggesting people avoid a restore before moving to 8.1.1

dare2winn

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
That's what was happening to me on 8.1, but it was up to six times a day on another forum. I updated to 8.1.1 and the problem was fixed, but I miss my Pangu jailbreak. I'll use TaiG as soon as the Mac version is available and separate tweaks in place of Springtomize.

Edit: Looks like Springtomize just got updated with 8.1.1 compatability today.

how did u updated jailbroken 8.1 to ios 8.1.1 ? via ota or via i tunes? i am new so getting confused? and will all tweaks go if u update it to newer version of ios? please help friend :apple:

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
Prepare yourself for the oncoming instability and other unwanted negative effects of doing that.

Nothing negative so far, I didn't have the WiFi issue on 8.1 and everything seems fine on 8.1.1. I have all the same tweaks as before and everything appears to be running smoothly. The only thing I have heard is that doing the upgrade takes an additional 500MB of storage. So I may do a restore soon. I just was too lazy to do a back up and restore.

----------

I'm with Intell, with an issue like the Wifi issues you shouldn't be suggesting people avoid a restore before moving to 8.1.1

I didn't suggest doing the upgrade option, I was simply saying that it can be done. That's why I said 'it's recommended that you restore'.

----------

how did u updated jailbroken 8.1 to ios 8.1.1 ? via ota or via i tunes? i am new so getting confused? and will all tweaks go if u update it to newer version of ios? please help friend :apple:

OTA is not an option if you're jailbroken, but itunes can do the upgrade/restore. If you aren't jailbroken and OTA, it's recommended you do a full restore before jailbreaking as it may cause the jailbreak process
to fail. If you do the upgrade (not recommended), the tweaks and such don't carry over when you rejailbreak and would need to re-install those.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The instability won't start to appear until you install more complex things from Cydia. Then you'll start to get kernel panics.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Now the question is 8.1.1 to 8.1.2?

Me thinks no.

Nope. :D

I did go ahead and move up to 8.1.1 today before TaiG released the update. On a VM setup, the JB itself took me over an hour. My poor elderly MBP was not happy about running VirtualBox and Windows 10.

So no, I'm not willing to do that again without some major reason to do so. LOL I wouldn't have even gone up this far if my 8.1 JB had been stable. I was still having way too many crashes on a very stripped down setup, including blue screens and the occasional bootloop. Figured I'd try the update and new JB in hopes it does better.

jpcarro

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2009
On your nine
The instability won't start to appear until you install more complex things from Cydia. Then you'll start to get kernel panics.

I've never restored for minor iOS updates and I don't have problems with stability. I run a list of 72 jailbreak apps from the standard Cydia sources and plenty are complex.

The one buggy app I run is Springtomize and certain tweaks within the app will cause safe-mode boots. These are know problems and I just stay away from those tweaks. But, it has nothing to do with NOT restoring and installing clean.

There's no harm in taking the short path of not restoring. If you run into problems down the road, then do a restore and clean install to see if it clears up the issue.

My JB on 8.1 was completely stable, as was 8.1.1 and now, so far, 8.1.2. Your mileage may vary.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
To the end user, it may appear to not have problems, but it does. Background processes crash/hang much too often. Some of the problems attributed to low memory or iOS bugs that present themselves to the end user are a result of not restoring.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
New Iphone 6 on its way

My new Iphone 6 is due in later this week. I imagine will arrive with IOS 8.1.1 so Pangu will not work. I downloaded Taig but don't know how to run it since as said before it is in Chinese language. Does anyone know of a link with instructions in English?

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
My new Iphone 6 is due in later this week. I imagine will arrive with IOS 8.1.1 so Pangu will not work. I downloaded Taig but don't know how to run it since as said before it is in Chinese language. Does anyone know of a link with instructions in English?

http://www.taig.com/en/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.