Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrlogan1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2014
My daughter has taken an interest in editing videos and I want to get her some decent editing software. The full version of final cut pro x is too expensive and won't run on my mac anyway. So I'm looking to buy an older version to use as an intro for her. If she loves it and takes off, we can think about a new computer and software later. For now, I need to know what will run on my os 10.6.8. On ebay I see final cut studio 5.1, FC studio 3, FC studio 5HD, FC pro 5.1, etc, all in my price range. Would appreciate advice! Thanks!

tears2040

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
My daughter has taken an interest in editing videos and I want to get her some decent editing software. The full version of final cut pro x is too expensive and won't run on my mac anyway. So I'm looking to buy an older version to use as an intro for her. If she loves it and takes off, we can think about a new computer and software later. For now, I need to know what will run on my os 10.6.8. On ebay I see final cut studio 5.1, FC studio 3, FC studio 5HD, FC pro 5.1, etc, all in my price range. Would appreciate advice! Thanks!

The latest version of Final Cut which is X only cost $299

In the professional world it really doesn't get much cheaper than that, I would advised on NOT using the older style Final Cut Pro because it's an old style of workflow that has a lot of headaches........

On the flip side I would look intro Adobe as they have a complete suite where you can pay like $20 monthly to use as a student. The only knock is you need internet connection and you obviously do not own the software....

powerslave65

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2011
Sherman Oaks CA
If you really want an affordable entry into the world of post production Davinci Resolve is free and has their world renowned color correction engine that is worth learning. They also have a 3D compositing app Fusion 7 will be ported for the Mac soon and let me tell you she may end up buying you a house with those kind skills.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.