Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tubbymedic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
I have a two separate completed projects in iMovie 09. Is there a way I can copy, or move one of the projects to combine it with the other to have a lone, completed project?

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
Copy and Paste.

Best advise is to first duplicate the project that you are going to copy to. Don't worry, it will not take up a lot of disk space.

tubbymedic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
I made a duplicate but it wont let me copy the project and I try to drag the project and drop it in the other project I want to combine it with and it wont let me do it.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
You do a select all in the project you want to copy from, and use the copy function.

You paste into the project to which you want to copy that content.

tubbymedic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU ! I was hoping there was an easy way to do that. Thanks again! You just saved me a lot of time and headache. HA HA

Swampdonkey

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2004
London
TWO iMovie 09 projects?

Whoah! I might be being incredibly thick, but how is it possible to have TWO iMovie 09 projects on the go? If it is impossible to save a project, surely you lose that project when you start a new one? Whereas I used to work on 2-3 projects at a time in iMovie 06, I am now on the verge of quitting iMovie altogether because this no longer seems possible. Or is it..?

tubbymedic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
Its possible

In iMovie 09' Its possible to have many working projects. I just go to File-New Project, name it and start working on it. It saves it as I'm working on it so when I open iMovie it's all there as I left it. The advice is great that you can also copy the one project as stated in the earlier post and copy it to another project you have started, the thing about that is it won't copy your music. It will copy your clips and transitions. Try it out. It works great.

scaryxscary

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
Hello. I'm also trying to insert a finished project into another. However, the "Select All" method is only copying transitions, titles and video clips. Not added audio (music, voiceovers, etc.), which is my main goal. Is there any way to copy ALL parts of my project?

Thanks,

-Joel H

myalterego

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
Bristol, England
I need to merge two projects and found this thread which provides a method. However, "select all" is greyed out for me and I can't figure out how to activated it. Anyone, anyone?

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
Is there any way to copy ALL parts of my project?

The only thing I can think of is to perform a high quality export. You then import that result into iMovie and drag into the other project. The negative is everything is then contained in that one file, so further editing may be troublesome.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
I need to merge two projects and found this thread which provides a method. However, "select all" is greyed out for me and I can't figure out how to activated it.

Have you entered the project? Also, click once in the project window so that iMovie knows where the focus is. If so, I don't know what the problem might be.

myalterego

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
Bristol, England
thanks, yes, I have highlighted the project I want to select so iMovie knows which one I'm trying to edit but the "select all" option is greyed out and doesn't function and all the options under "select" are also greyed out.

can anyone else suggest why this is?

myalterego

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
Bristol, England
OK, I've cracked this. Here's a step by step sequence which shows how to merge two separate projects into one.

First, highlight project A in the project window.
then, click "edit project"
click "edit" then "select all"
click "edit" then "copy"
then return to project library
highlight project B in the project window
position cursor at point where project A is to be inserted (I found it easier to accurately position my cursor at the end of a project rather than the beginning for some reason)
then click "edit" "paste"
project A is now added to project B

I guess it makes sense to set the project properties once you have all the scenes assembled into the final version but I haven't experimented with trying to merge projects that have different properties. I suspect iMovie won't like it.

Canative

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2010
OK, I did everything suggested to copy and paste clips from one 'project library' project to another 'project library' project. But instead of giving me the edited version, it brought all of the edited material I had taken out of the original project. So confused right now!!! :(

thing2do

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2012
Hamilton Canada
Did you ever find out what happened?

I am having the same issue and i can't even find anyone who knows how to solve this issue..

OK, I did everything suggested to copy and paste clips from one 'project library' project to another 'project library' project. But instead of giving me the edited version, it brought all of the edited material I had taken out of the original project. So confused right now!!! :(

philbosh

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2009
Melbourne Australia
+1

Hello. I'm also trying to insert a finished project into another. However, the "Select All" method is only copying transitions, titles and video clips. Not added audio (music, voiceovers, etc.), which is my main goal. Is there any way to copy ALL parts of my project?

Thanks,

-Joel H

this is very annoying when trying to merge to projects. cant seem to find answer anywhere. i have about 100 audio edits and dont feel like doing it all again because i want to merge the projects

AngelWolf

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2014
Ok, all these comments are from years ago so when I tried all the advice, it isn't working out too well for me. I think the main problem is just knowing how to select the project you want to copy and place it into another project. The iMovie app has been updated a lot since then, so I think it's probably a lot different now. If you know how to help me with my problem, I would love to know :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.