Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kikkilinu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2014
I've owned my iPod Touch for close to two years now and it's been fine for that time, but a few days ago I started to have trouble charging it.

It's not the cable, I've tried others. The problem is from the lightning port itself.

Is there any way to fix this, short of buying a new iPod? It's not really in the funds.

Thank you.

iOS 8.1 if that helps.

Edit: The lightning cable is now resting on my Swiss army knife, giving the iPod a bit of lift while my phone gives it the necessary weight for the iPod to be able to charge.

Edit 2: It now refuses to charge.

Edit 3: I turned it off unplugged and plugged the charging cable in, and it turned on, but it still won't charge.

Edit 4: Back to the first edit state. Should I just take it in and see if it can be repaired?

Last edited:

nifta

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2014
I had a similar problem. The Lightning port fills up with fluff. Use a toothpick to clean it out and use some compressed air if you have some. Sorted mine out that way!

JLew715

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
I had this issue twice with an iPhone 5. It is a fault with the Lightning port design; I had it replaced under warranty twice once by my carrier and once by Apple. I thought at first that is was because of stuff getting in the Lightning port, but the second time both I and the Apple Store employee cleaned the port and it was no better. Looking in there with a magnifying glass and a bright light revealed that it looked in mint condition after cleaning, but it still wouldn't charge. It must be some internal fault with the port.

kikkilinu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2014
I had a similar problem. The Lightning port fills up with fluff. Use a toothpick to clean it out and use some compressed air if you have some. Sorted mine out that way!

Tried cleaning it with a toothpick. It was after that that it refused to charge altogether. Wasn't really much fluff in there. Lightning port always faces up in my pocket. No compressed air in my house, but I did blow into the port as hard as I could until I almost blanked out. That seemed to have worked.

----------

I had this issue twice with an iPhone 5. It is a fault with the Lightning port design; I had it replaced under warranty twice once by my carrier and once by Apple. I thought at first that is was because of stuff getting in the Lightning port, but the second time both I and the Apple Store employee cleaned the port and it was no better. Looking in there with a magnifying glass and a bright light revealed that it looked in mint condition after cleaning, but it still wouldn't charge. It must be some internal fault with the port.

No warranty for me. I bought it about 2 years ago when I lived in Canada. Now I'm back to my home country, and warranty was only a year. I'll take it to an Apple store and see what they can do. Thank you.
Any idea how much it might be? Kinda scraping the bottom of the barrel right now

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
if your iPod is out of warranty and simply needs a new battery, it only costs $79 at the apple store

if your iPod needs a total replacement, it will only cost you $99

if your iPod is 64 gb, then this will be $199

any apple store genius will be happy to run iOS diagnostics on your iPod to verify that you need a new battery. backup your iPod to itunes, transfer purchases ( itunes - file - device - transger purchases ) and set up an appointment.

try not to erase your iPod and set it up as new when you have genius bar appointment, because iOS diagnostics likes all the log files you can provide

the iPod asks for 5 v @ 1000 ma to charge. if you are using a windows computer or a generic usb charger. then it could be considered normal for the iPod to refuse to charge.

if you are no where near a apple store. you can use support.apple.com to submit a ticket , this will send you a link to remote iOS diagnostics via email or text message ( to your iPod's iMessage )

you click on the link and send an extended test. and you write down the ticket #

you then call applecare and give them the serial # and your ticket number, if they ask for $$ for the call tell them "oh i want an exemption because i recently installed iOS 8 " and ask them what the battery test said

its hard to find the link to remote diagnsostic send on support.apple.com , its buried their somewhere

if they say the battery is failed or you need a replacement, you can ask for mail in service

suggestion:
if anyone has a 4th or 5th generation iPod touch and is forced to have to buy a complete new unit instead of a $99 device swap , start shipping on eBay or swappa and buy someone's used iPhone 5 or 5c. for the same amount of money , you can get a used iPhone , use a de-activated sim card with no service plan and get more features then the iPod touch has

Last edited:

kikkilinu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2014
if your iPod is out of warranty and simply needs a new battery, it only costs $79 at the apples store

if your iPod needs a total replacement, it will only cost you $99

if your iPod is 64 gb, then this will be $199

any apple store genius will be happy to run iOS diagnostics on your iPod to verify that you need a new battery.

the iPod asks for 5 v @ 1000 ma to charge. if you are using a windows computer then it could be considered normal for the iPod to refuse to charge.

I use a wall adapter to charge it.

I don't think it's the battery, it charges just fine. I think it's more the port itself.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
I use a wall adapter to charge it.

I don't think it's the battery, it charges just fine. I think it's more the port itself.

if its 2 years old, and you charge it once a day, that is around 730 cycles at least.

the genius will test the battery for free

apple says :

A properly maintained iPod battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 400 full charge and discharge cycles.

i think you should just get a genius appointment and be prepared to pay $99 max and switch it out. its $99 of you break the screen or its $99 if the lightning port is bad.

they will brush it out and blow any lint out and even get their magnifying glass out for free.

its not like you have to pay $269 to replace an iPhone 5. i put my iPhone 5 in rice and rice got into the charging port and i bent all the pins trying to dig out that rice and i had to pay $269 hah

kikkilinu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2014
if its 2 years old, and you charge it once a day, that is around 730 cycles at least.

the genius will test the battery for free

apple says :

A properly maintained iPod battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 400 full charge and discharge cycles.

i think you should just get a genius appointment and be prepared to pay $99 max and switch it out. its $99 of you break the screen or its $99 if the lightning port is bad.

they will brush it out and blow any lint out and even get their magnifying glass out for free.

its not like you have to pay $269 to replace an iPhone 5

I'll see what I can do. I'm kinda short on funds right now. Thanks for the info.

I hope they price check because 100 Euro's is quite a bit more than $100.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.