Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ah, that is what I thought you meant sir. I am actually dreading seeing the last Hobbit film as I can't even watch the previous two now. Since I do not have to pay to see it, great. As far as other short books being made into an unnecessary stream of endless sequels, agreed. While there were book sequels to Logan's Run, I purposely never sought them out because I felt that was a terrific done-in-one story.

Re: Star Wars, I think they'll have a viable reason for Luke to be included (from the rumors I've read many of those could lead to fun and/or interesting moments of characterization and plot points.)

I've never been big on Han and Leia as a couple (a huge reason why I've barely read any of the SW novels/comics dealing with them), so unless one or more of the young cast are their offspring, I cannot really see a reason for them being included beyond nostalgia and Harrison's wish of killing Han off already.* Ford apparently wanted out after Empire Strikes Back...but...what do I know. :D

I can't remember if I've read Logan's Run but I saw the movie and liked it. Although a different premise, The Island which is excellent, reminds me of it. For Star Wars I'm in wait and see mode. :)

Well, I think it entirely appropriate to 'repeat the rant' on the whole (depressing and predictable) idea of movie sequels, or rather, on the whole idea that the movie industry seems to have decided to make very little else other than movie sequels.

If I wish to see, or revisit, characters with whom I am familiar, I am perfectly happy to do it within the context of a novel, or TV series. I prefer a bit of creativity and originality, not to mention a strong narrative and decent and interesting set of characters (along with some character development) in my movies.

Remakes are definitely hit and miss. In most cases I prefer the original, maybe because I have imprinted on them ;) As I've disliked all of the Star Trek movies prior to latest reboot, I like the Abram's treatment of Star Trek, but am concerned that his involvement will muddle the feel of the Star Wars, but it's all ready been jerked around with Episodes I-III, so there is only one way to go. ;)
Bottom line, I don't like it when the movie mogul's desire for max profits interfers with good story telling.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Remakes are definitely hit and miss. In most cases I prefer the original, maybe because I have imprinted on them ;) As I've disliked all of the Star Trek movies prior to latest reboot, I like the Abram's treatment of Star Trek, but am concerned that his involvement will muddle the feel of the Star Wars, but it's all ready been jerked around with Episodes I-III, so there is only one way to go. ;)
Bottom line, I don't like it when the movie mogul's desire for max profits interfers with good story telling.

Bravo, very well said and very succinctly put. As it happens, I agree completely with you.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Not excited at all - I suspect a blockbuster rollercoaster ride with an inevitable happy ending and next no risk taken overall - pretty bland.

That said I won't get one bit 'angry' or disappointed over it either. Episodes IV - VI are pretty damn near perfection in my book regarding light entertainment and that's all I could ask for. Well, except a re-release of the original thearetrical screening for purchase that is :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Rosemary's Baby And A.I. Spoilers :p

Not excited at all - I suspect a blockbuster rollercoaster ride with an inevitable happy ending and next no risk taken overall - pretty bland.

That said I won't get one bit 'angry' or disappointed over it either. Episodes IV - VI are pretty damn near perfection in my book regarding light entertainment and that's all I could ask for. Well, except a re-release of the original thearetrical screening for purchase that is :D

You have to admit that happy endings are held in high regard. The key seems to be that the casualties along the way provide the impact. As a rule I hate unhappy endings, as I think of Rosemary's Baby or even A.I. . :p The original The Body Snatchers although it seemed hopeless, allowed some glimmer of hope at the end. I don't remember if the remake did... :D

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Rosemary's Baby And A.I. Spoilers :p

You have to admit that happy endings are held in high regard. The key seems to be that the casualties along the way provide the impact. As a rule I hate unhappy endings, as I think of Rosemary's Baby or even A.I. . :p The original The Body Snatchers although it seemed hopeless, allowed some glimmer of hope at the end. I don't remember if the remake did... :D

NO TITANIC SPOILER!! MINOR ZOOLANDER SPOILER POSSIBLE!!?!

I love me some Rosemary's baby ending. :p Those cute eyez! But glimmer of hope is fine as well ... I have about zero hope that either will happen at the end (of Episode IX) though.

In fact I always had a sweet spot for anything but a happy ending. Not sure if you followed my conversations with Kazmac re Giallos but the very one thing that make some of Lucio Fulci's works stand out are his endings imo. Love me some depressing, fatalistic, grimy, unresolved-at-best, unhappy ending - lol! :D

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
You know she married Luke and they had a child called Ben before she also died. Of course not the most shocking death of the series.

Unfortunately, yes. < hides under iMac >

----------

NO TITANIC SPOILER!! MINOR ZOOLANDER SPOILER POSSIBLE!!?!

I love me some Rosemary's baby ending. :p Those cute eyez! But glimmer of hope is fine as well ... I have about zero hope that either will happen at the end (of Episode IX) though.

In fact I always had a sweet spot for anything but a happy ending. Not sure if you followed my conversations with Kazmac re Giallos but the very one thing that make some of Lucio Fulci's works stand out are his endings imo. Love me some depressing, fatalistic, grimy, unresolved-at-best, unhappy ending - lol! :D

LOLOLOL. Always look on the bright side of life...

Fulci was as nihilistic as you can get. And yet Lucio claims the ending to The Beyond was not so bad. Yeah right, Lucio. :rolleyes: I want to eternally wander around that dimension of damned souls lost and blind too. NOT.

I am mixed on unhappy endings. I do love it when Argento's killers get it (and it's something of a triumph when the three mothers go kaput), but at the same time things can get monumentally creepy when the story does not end well. Carpenter's Prince of Darkness has one of the most unnerving endings for me ever, probably why I skipped the blu ray. I can take nihilistic endings in monster styled horror films, but it depends with other types of movies.

As far as this Star Wars trilogy, I just want it to be entertaining and transport me back to that universe. Anything else is icing on the cake. I cannot think of an ending right now because Episode IX is too far off.

----------

Same here. I'd love the original films to be cleaned up and rereleased for purchase. Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back are still the Bee's knees and other bee parts I probably should not mention.

----------

I can't remember if I've read Logan's Run but I saw the movie and liked it. Although a different premise, The Island which is excellent, reminds me of it. For Star Wars I'm in wait and see mode. :)

I can see where you thought the Island had Logan's Run ideas and I would not be surprised if Lucas lifted the Devil Stick sequence in the LR novel (my favorite part of the book actually) for the speeder bike run in Return of the Jedi. I like the Logan's Run movie for what it added (Carousel baby! I will never think of myself as a simple Capricorn without a number attached ever again...)

I agree about your thought about remakes, but I feel that J.J. might fix Star Wars after the prequels mess. I still haven't seen Star Trek Into Darkness.

Sorry for the backwards responses in quotes today folks, it's just one of those days.

Last edited:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
LOLOLOL. Always look on the bright side of life...

You're actually right, and while thinking about it makes me look a bit foolish. Course I don't expect a Lucio style ending on Star Wars - that wouldn't fit and I'm also fine with the one of Return of the Jedi - which was bittersweet I'd argue.

Think I'll take it the Hobbit way - not going to be what I'd wish for anyway but eventually much better than the trilogy before (and that would be LoTR, which I'm not a fan of [Spoiler!] :p)

----------

FYeah right, Lucio. :rolleyes: I want to eternally wander around that dimension of damned souls lost and blind too. NOT.

Good description! But isn't that what life is ultimately all about?

*logs off and runs away*

:D

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
You're actually right, and while thinking about it makes me look a bit foolish. Course I don't expect a Lucio style ending on Star Wars - that wouldn't fit and I'm also fine with the one of Return of the Jedi - which was bittersweet I'd argue.

Think I'll take it the Hobbit way - not going to be what I'd wish for anyway but eventually much better than the trilogy before (and that would be LoTR, which I'm not a fan of [Spoiler!] :p)

Does not make you look foolish, you like what you like. I wouldn't be surprised if we get some kind of dour cliffhanger (a la Empire Strikes Back) as the Episode VIII ending. Yeah I loathe LoTR myself save for Christopher Lee, but then I never did like Hobbits or 99.9% of Elves for that matter.

----------

Good description! But isn't that what life is ultimately all about?

*logs off and runs away*

:D

Geez, you just had to wake me up to this being the reality of life didn't you? No wonder why I feel like I do...:p

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Does not make you look foolish, you like what you like. I wouldn't be surprised if we get some kind of dour cliffhanger (a la Empire Strikes Back) as the Episode VIII ending.

*logs in again*

Well of course there will be a cliffhanger - IX has still to come! :p

----------

Geez, you just had to wake me up to this being the reality of life didn't you? No wonder why I feel like I do...:p

Depends on your philosophical background I guess. :p

Following my posts on this topic you'd think I'd be that glass is half empty kind of guy. BUT I'M NOT, lol. See, I'd rather wander around as described than not wandering around at all. I guess. If that makes some sense. Glass is half full. Mostly. :p

*drinks a glass of wine*

And I go on record that I don't generally dislike happy endings too. Zoolander is quite alright as is - (spoiler: although all his male model friends die in a car accident before..)

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
*logs in again*

Well of course there will be a cliffhanger - IX has still to come! :p

----------

Depends on your philosophical background I guess. :p

Following my posts on this topic you'd think I'd be that glass is half empty kind of guy. BUT I'M NOT, lol. See, I'd rather wander around as described than not wandering around at all. I guess. If that makes some sense. Glass is half full. Mostly. :p

*drinks a glass of wine*

And I go on record that I don't generally dislike happy endings too. Zoolander is quite alright as is - (spoiler: although all his male model friends die in a car accident before..)

LOL...nah, I do not think you're a glass half empty type. I understand you like those kinds of endings (they work great in extreme horror, when I can detach and know they're not real, except for the Beyond. No wonder why I felt like I could relate to Emily until dastardly fates intervened. :D You do know about the 3 disc blu ray coming out in February right?

...back on topic

And, yeah, Episode VIII probably will have massive cliffhanger.

@Huntn, I would be pretty surprised if the filmmakers went with Apple fanboy's Solo family schtick since that was part of the Expanded Universe and very well may be given das Imperial boot. Only written content rebranded as Legends counts as Expanded Universe canon material, so I would not worry about being spoiled.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I don't mind the huge cliffhanger at the end of Empire Strikes back, but only because I can then watch ROTJ back to back! As there will be at least a year (and probably 2) between each new film, it will be a killer waiting!
Still lets just hope its good enough that any of us care about the new characters to be on the edge of our seats waiting!

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
I'm excited because I like star wars universe. Lets be honest, there's no way this movie can be as bad as the the abominations known as episodes I, II, and III. I'll miss natalie portman though because when I saw those the first time I had a mad crush on her, but everything about episode I, II, and III is just terrible. The writing, the dialogue, the acting, the directing. just wow

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm excited because I like star wars universe. Lets be honest, there's no way this movie can be as bad as the the abominations known as episodes I, II, and III. I'll miss natalie portman though because when I saw those the first time I had a mad crush on her, but everything about episode I, II, and III is just terrible. The writing, the dialogue, the acting, the directing. just wow

Have we just witnessed an incredibly sexist statement? :p BTW, I don't remember getting a good look at "those" in I-III, and usually I base my crushes first and foremost on facial beauty and total figure. ;)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Have we just witnessed an incredibly sexist statement? :p BTW, I don't remember getting a good look at "those" in I-III, and usually I base my crushes first and foremost on facial beauty and total figure. ;)

To be fair Carrie Fisher was my first ever crush. In A New Hope we all got a good look at her assets as I believe she was told there are no bras in space.

Of course things got even more out there in ROTJ.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009

When I said "those" I was referring to the 3 movies, not the other thing :confused:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
You do know about the 3 disc blu ray coming out in February right?

No, thanks for that! Tasty...! :D

When I said "those" I was referring to the 3 movies, not the other thing :confused:

Was probably just Huntn misreading things anyway. :D Also, I like how in that case the new confused emoticon which always looks more like "ewww?!" to me fits quite well. Sorry, Huntn! :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

My error, lol. You mentioned Portman and then "those". I guess I'm indited, but I'd never say that. I blame a friend who would see a woman he did not know and say bring "those" over here, not to her directly. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
X-wings, Millenium Falcon, Tie Fighters, all those Star Wars noises embedded in my head, I AM IN, even with Grandpa Hans! Second trailer is better. :D

Premier Date: Dec 2015

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
X-wings, Millenium Falcon, all those Star Wars noises embedded in my head, I AM IN, even with Grandpa Hans! Second trailer is better. :D

YouTube: video

Same here. Plus, we're using SW based content for our tech demo(s), so it's suddenly very relevant :D

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
X-wings, Millenium Falcon, Tie Fighters, all those Star Wars noises embedded in my head, I AM IN, even with Grandpa Hans! Second trailer is better. :D

I've seen every other SW movie at the cinema multiple times, so I know this will be the same. Sounds like Luke has a kid from the trailer. Does that mean we might see Mara Jade Skywalker (aka the Emprors Hand)? Hope so!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Great second trailer, but I have to say the first teaser still gives me goosebumps

Looking forward to Christmas this year :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.